Oddities, weirdness, and obscure places

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
sweet! im going to put up pictures of the glen dale tuberculosis clinic in maryland, awesome place to explore... as soon as i get that on my flickr, ill post about it in the UE section here.

Riku

Reaction score
Sick, thanks guys. I'll need to write all of those on my list.

Zombie road is the place where a whole plethora of infamous "shadow children" pictures were taken, by many different photographers. It's one of the most obscure, yet consistently "haunted" places in America. You can get hit with a 200$ fine for checking it out, apparently. It's not even owned by anyone, either. I'm pretty pumped to see it, as it's been kind of a fantasy of mine since I first saw the pictures. Also, it's on the way from Six Flags to Eureka. I know that much about its location, at least.

Oh, and the school is still going strong. I've just seen a few movies by their production company (Lord Of The Winds Studios), and they're all a bunch of bullshit. The school worships JZ Knight (the school's founder) as a "host" of the ancient Babylonian Warrior God, Ramtha. They believe that quantum physics is intrinsic to understanding the consciousness of the individual. I half want to enroll myself for the lulz, and half want to spit in their collective face. Maybe both in the end.
where can i find these shadow children....this is to good to pass up

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov

ipoPua

Reaction score
east otto new york, griffis sculpture park. the new york countryside is seriously the shit, i love living here. there are alot of great places i couldnt really give directions to but could show you how to get there. just get lost on the backroads, it's great. other than that, i'm sure its been mentioned but atlasobscura.com

bryanpaul

Reaction score
I just checked out this place http://www.uvm.edu/~envprog/formslinks/Vermont Mining/Asbestos.html a big abandoned asbestos mine in Northern Vermont, it's pretty dope. I highly suggest checking out old mines, there are so many, I'd love to do a lot more.
dood....... i dont know about playin in a freakin ASBESTOS mine.......then again one day of fuckin around in an asbestos mine is probly safer for you than poundin keystone ice all day like i usually do....................i dunno, something about mines freaks me out.....like fallin down a shaft or shit collapsing on you.......not for me

Reactions: outskirts

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Pine Barrens in South Jersey. It's home to the infamous Jersey Devil and whole host of evil stuff. Spend enough time in those woods [especially on mind-altering drugs] and you will instantly feel like you are in an episode of the Twilight Zone.
Most folks can't get past the fact that a place like that exists in NJ. Especially if you take em' to the "Pine Plains" where you're hard
pressed to find a tree over 8 feet tall and all the white sandy roads look the same... and it's like that for MILES! :eek:
A big sandy pine tree maze.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Well here are some that I've been to:

#1. Devils Tower National Monument in Wyoming.
I saw it as a kid, as we were driving to it a thunder & lightning storm was rolling by. Fucking magnificently erie under those
weather conditions. It reminded me of that movie Close Encounters of The Third Kind.

#2 Space Farms in Sussex County NJ.
Where else will you find a zoo, campground and somewhat macabre local history museum all rolled up in one?

#3. Rock of Cashel in Ireland.
Very strange and very beautiful. It's a very large hill in a sea of sheep dotted green fields. It was an ancient Celtic rock fortress
turned mediveal chuch, now just well preserved ruins atop the hill. It's a geological anomaly, the nearest mountains are many
many kilometers away.

#4. Lucy the Elephant in Margate NJ.
This Elephant is a crazy 6 story building in the shape of an elephant, head, trunk, legs, tusk, etc.
This crazy building is just south of Atlantic City. And you can tour the inside for a small fee. It's a National landmark.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

carnytrash

Reaction score
Website
carnytrash.tumblr.com
Well here are some that I've been to:

#4. Lucy the Elephant in Margate NJ.
This Elephant is a crazy 6 story building in the shape of an elephant, head, trunk, legs, tusk, etc.
This crazy building is just south of Atlantic City. And you can tour the inside for a small fee. It's a National landmark.

Getting married there in less than a month.

Also, I agree with your above comment about the Pine Barrens. There's a lot of things about NJ people find hard to believe, like there are whole villages of albinos and midgets, or that Ringling once used it for their winter quaters.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads