Read This First! - newbie vs. oogle | Page 4 | Squat the Planet

Read This First! newbie vs. oogle

Komjaunimas

Reaction score
Interesting topic. Everything is different over the pond and many things mentioned in this thread dosen't apply here. For example in my country we dont have squatters, train riders etc... only punks goths metalheads etc.. And everyone is bragging how he is true punkrocker, goth (put in something here...) and the other guys are posers mostly while living with their parents and never caring about anything. I personally tend to avoid such people, because many people like someone earlier mentioned for example lawyers who do traveling once a year etc can be more punk,traveler (insert something here... ) as fuck than others who brag that they are true ... I always tried to help out new guys, "oogles" even if the question was popped to me for the 400th time. But this summer was the last that im helping out anyone, because not only all the good stuff that i taught some guys was "blown", but they bragged about how they aquired the knowledge themselves altough if i haven't met them this summer they would have probably ended up asking mommies to buy plane tickets back home...

giddy

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
so i have never ridden a train before
i decided i want to hop on one
when i was in states custody and 4 kids ran and hoped the
train cross country
(of coarse they were eventually caught
because the could not navigate their way out of state
and i guess they were so called OGGLERUFFLES or what ever
you call them because they just went around telling
everyone thier sob ass story and
showing of their blades)
but i have enough common sense
not to do that but it seems to me
that everyone learns their own way
i remember when i used to get
messed up all of the time
i would always be without a place to stay and
i have been stranded in a tank top
in the winter months
but i learned that even if its summer
time it gets a little cold at night
so no matter how much a hassle
to carry i started bringing
a fucking jacket
it just seems like common sense to me
you have to start somewhere i guess
hahahahahahaha
besides call me a fucking
OGGLRBLUFFER or what ever
as long as im not endangering you
or fucking up your flow
then does it really matter???

Rash L

Reaction score
Labels are really good for jam jars, unless you like to have a surprise on your toast. :)

lice

Reaction score
If having a mom that loves and cares for me makes me an oogle, then I'll proudly wear that badge.

very true i guess im an oogle cuz im living with my parents during winter. i dont give a shit at least i have a place to stay and people who love me even if they dont agree with my lifestyle. i am labeled as an oogle in pdx cuz im pretty young (19) and only a year of "traveling experience" but i dont care
and i would say most of the dickheads on the drag in austin are they worst at lableing people oogle, if you have anything they dont have yer a stupid rich kid oogle. they use that word every 10 seconds i hate hearing it.

menu

Reaction score
i would really like to get some opinions on this. one thing i can't stand is trainhopper elitism. honestly, i have run into more people that seem to think they're on the high school varsity trainhopping squad. for some reason, having a nice pack, or a cell phone, gps, or other electronic device, or more than $10 to your name seems to make you an 'oogle' in some people's eyes. i think this is bullshit. there are people out there that honestly want to ride trains, not because its 'cool', not because its trendy, but for the freedom, for the adventure, and of course, to get from place to place. any group of people that have a passion for something should help each other out, and just because someone isn't experienced enough to know a fortyeight from a fiftythree is not reason not to tell them what they need to know. i would rather tell a kid how not to kill themselves than bitch at them, call them names, then have them go try it and die.

so i don't call people an oogle unless they steal my shit, blow my cover, or have mommy and daddy's credit card and refuse to buy me booze. =)

what, do you, individuals on stp, makes someone an oogle? and in your experience, what does 'oogle' mean?

and where the hell did the term come from? inquiring minds want to know.

I still thought this was the most funny. "just because someone isnt experienced enough to know the difference between a 48 and 53" hahaha. they're fucking labeled for the most part. and if you cant tell the difference, be careful. dont wanna throw your gear, or yourself for that matter, into a suicide.

R

Rstank

i agree there are dumbasses many places....in fact everywhere....but i dont think we combat someone being malinformed with criticism and hatred people outside of our so called "understanding" do that enough already......true you shouldnt have to answer stupid questions and hold someones hand but we dont have to travel with them or call them names....either hold there hand long enough and lead them to a path where they can "toughen up" or "get informed" or fucking dont......but theres no reason sitting on a forum like this strokeing our egos and quizing eachother on being oogles or not.....this malice and anger corrupts what community we have.....and sitting around talking shit dosent solve anything it just makes you worse then what you oppose.....if somebody asks you the same question for the 100th time or the 300th time....it shouldnt make a difference you should have had plenty of practice then being understanding and level headed and if not....well then your BEING AN ASSHOLE......why talk these ways why cut eachother down.....to gain what? we should be happy that people are leaving there parents houses....we should help them not act like we are in some secret club that "regular" people cant get into.... in many ways we may be obscure to people.....if you have the knowledge i say feel privileged to help someone become free and put them under your wing then set them off out of the nest......if they fly they fly if they end up being the ceo of starbucks SO FUCKING BE IT.....who fucking cares if someone dosent know how to do something better then you....everyone has a right to knowledge but i dont think anyone has the right to be a fucking asshole

that is all

Nym

Reaction score
ya know
shes right
just because you have certain things or
have less hopping miles then others
shouldnt make you an oogle

i have a nice pack
i have a cell phone
but i do work
i worked my ass off in random towns
to make money to have nice things

i dont hop everywhere i go
to be honest
i hitch more then i hop
but that doesnt make me an oogle
i love riding freight
i love the feeling of going somewhere
and going there fast
i love the memories i have of hoping
that should be enough

R

Rstank

ya know
shes right
just because you have certain things or
have less hopping miles then others
shouldnt make you an oogle

i have a nice pack
i have a cell phone
but i do work
i worked my ass off in random towns
to make money to have nice things

i dont hop everywhere i go
to be honest
i hitch more then i hop
but that doesnt make me an oogle
i love riding freight
i love the feeling of going somewhere
and going there fast
i love the memories i have of hoping
that should be enough

agreed!

BlewJ

Permanent traveler in a transitory world.
Reaction score
One thing i can't stand is train-hopper elitism. I have run into more people that seem to think they're on the high school varsity train-hopping squad. Having a nice pack, a cell phone, GPS or other electronic device, or more than $10 to your name seems to make you an 'oogle' in some people's eyes. This is bullshit. There are people out there that honestly want to ride trains not because it's 'cool' nor because it's trendy, but for the freedom, the adventure, and of course, to get from place to place. Any group of people that have a passion for something should help each other out, and just because someone isn't experienced enough to know a forty-eight from a fifty-three is not reason not to tell them what they need to know. I would rather tell a kid how not to kill themselves than bitch at them, call them names, and then have them go try something and die.

"There's so much good in the worst of us,
And so much bad in the best of us,
That it ill behooves any of us,
To talk about the rest of us."

Didn't Socrates say, "We are, all of us, oogles"? If someone has the mindset of always being a beginner, they are always open to new ideas (and also don't spend their time looking down on others). I don't know squat about squatting, anything about hitching, or beans about hopping. I can't ride a horse, fly a hang glider or a hot air balloon, but I can start a fire and I can walk until there ain't no ground left, and even then sometimes find a few extra steps.

If we're on an Internet site instead of camping or riding right now, doesn't that make us impermanent to the world of transience, and therefore meet our own definition of oogle? I like the Canadian version, but Twinkie means something different here in the States, something to do with homosexual men. Life is a flow into entropy, and those who dwell nowhere permanently should understand this better than those who try to hold onto life as though it is somehow less fleeting for them. I would say there is spiritual ectropy that leads the other way, but that's another topic.

Anyway, there just ain't time to hate. Barely time to wait. What's important is being kind. I love the hippies. :)

Naw, even if you don't like kindness, you see it as weakness, keep your own weaknesses in mind so they don't get exploited. We all have blind spots and there will always be more that we don't know than what we do. We're finite beings and easily irritated.

What's a crew change besides when a train stops so people from one shift can take the place of those from a previous shift? Honestly, I wouldn't know how to go along not getting caught, but I'd listen and learn. You better believe I would. And I'd ask questions. Fuck you if you you're too good to field something that I might need to know. We all learn in different ways and at different paces. On the other hand, try to learn. Don't just stay ignorant if you can help it. Maybe that's what oogle really means, but it's too easily turned into a word dividing us from them. There is just us.

Watch, listen, feel, smell, taste... be in the moment and act quick.

Reactions: Ristoncor

BlewJ

Reaction score
My god! . . .
I show you the top of my head, good sir, to you for your lament of wisdom and love.
Well played BlewJ

Thank you.

BlewJ

Reaction score
My goal in life is to conquer my ego and help others do the same if they want to.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads