New here, and new to this world.

Saturn5ive

Reaction score
I've been playing music for years, the past few years been really into folk punk. It's the one genre that really stuck out to me. So I started meeting people in that world. Made a friend online who lives out in cali, she told me stories of hopping and traveling the country. She even told me about this site. I've been stuck in Alabama my whole life and I want to get out and see the rest of the country before I get too old. With no job, no car, no life. I figured this may be a good way to do it. I need a good adventure anyway. I don't know where the fuck I want to go, or how I'm going to get there. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? Also, tips for hopping? I've never done it, seen it done, or even attempted to do it. I don't know of anyone local here who's done it or passing through. Though I live in Huntsville, AL and there's a train yard here in town that freight goes through. Thanks in advanced!

tiltedkitten

Reaction score
Welcome to your new life! Hey you might even be able to find a buddy on here who can show ya some ropes. I've never hopped freight before, I'm more of a hitch hiker since my kitty is not so cooperative with loud things and large machines... but if ya noodle around and click the clicky things, you'll find some good info and make some new friends :3 I'm actually new here too but I've met a few rad folks already :D

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Hylyx

Reaction score
Damn. I wish I knew about this life when I was 19. I'm much older and still get stuck in the default world sometimes.
But any town with a sizeable yard will have some train types bummin around. Follow the nearest line in google maps till you find a yard, go there, watch what happens. Get questions, find answers online. Rinse. Repeat. That's honestly how I started. I was alone and didn't know shit, on a firsthand level. But it seemed to do me well. Going with another person is advisable, but ya take what you can get.
And if you need to get out before then, there's no shame in hitching. Find a friend on here, hitch to go see them, and adventure from there.
Welcome and be prepared to learn more than you ever have before.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads