Methods and countries of escape for schengen renawal | Squat the Planet

Methods and countries of escape for schengen renawal

ATX

Reaction score
So in early Jan I'm flying out to Barcelona to get the hell off of the same continent I've been traveling around in. That's not the point though. A lot of people ask about the visa situation, including me, so I thought I might as well get a thread going on everyones different ideas and methods are. Mat had a thread up about this, but it seemed geared more towards how to extended your visa via working holidays and such. This thread is more focused on how to get away with overstaying, or which countries are nice to visit while waiting for it to renew.

To those who don't know, almost all of western and northern Europe minus the UK and Ireland are in this thing called the Schengen Zone. This means that they act like indivdual states for visa purposes. For instance, a Spanish passport stamp is valid in Germany. This sounds cool but it honestly sucks a lot. You are able to spend 90 days in the schengen area, but then must spend 90 days outside of it in order to come back. A lot of people get away with overstaying, but some people also get deported. Up to you.

Note to people with dual citizenship between two countries. I personally have a US and Canada passport, which makes me believe that I can pretty much stay indefinetely. Just have to cross the border in eastern Europe somewhere then hitch to a different border crossing and use the opposite passport. Rinse and repeat. I won't be able to take advantage of this right now though, seeing as my girlfriend can't.

I personally have no information regarding overstaying your visa, other then it appears you would want to get a return flight from a place like Spain if ever. Hopefully someone with experience in this matter would like to share.

As far as countries to go to on waiting for your visa, there's plenty of options. I mean, why stay in just western and northern Europe anyways? Small place. As far as getting there by land northern Africa and eastern Europe are your best options. Not that I've been to any of these places, and I once again hope someone shares personal experience with this and what countries they enjoyed. Which ones are good to bum in and how, good dumpsters or black work or busking, etc. Visa rules in eastern Europe at least seem pretty relaxed. Romania seems like a really awesome country to visit, and they allow 90 days for the whole country. The Ukraine allows 6 months, and has a really interesting history and culture. Anywhere in the Balkans are free game too, minus Greece which is in schegen. Americans can even stay in Albania for a year and work!

That's about all I got. Ask any questions I may be able to answer from research and feel free to share anything you may know.

D

Deleted member 2626

Right on man! I've been thinking a bit more recently on this after hearing wetcat made it fine with the dog. Keep us updated on how it goes with getting there from here and arriving with a service pooch. Very Curious I am. Have fun man.

ATX

Reaction score
Right on man! I've been thinking a bit more recently on this after hearing wetcat made it fine with the dog. Keep us updated on how it goes with getting there from here and arriving with a service pooch. Very Curious I am. Have fun man.

Thanks man! I'll make sure to post how it went and what they asked for when I get over. I've heard they usually don't care or ask for much on dogs in the souther countries but I'll see. Even the legitimate way, it just seems you need a rabies shot and microchip then get a vet to fill out a form you get stamped at a USDA office.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Or, you go Russia. Get visa at a Russian Embassy somewhere; hang out there for a little while; then you can return to the Schengen, or take a short hop across the Bering Strait from Vladivostok-Vancouver and you're home!

Also if you have your US pp you can stop in at military bases and see about work there. Rammstein; Aviano; etc.

I lived over there many times over the past several years. DK, BE, FI, The whole Continent is a wonderland! :)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Or, you go Russia. Get visa at a Russian Embassy somewhere; hang out there for a little while; then you can return to the Schengen, or take a short hop across the Bering Strait from Vladivostok-Vancouver and you're home!

Also if you have your US pp you can stop in at military bases and see about work there. Rammstein; Aviano; etc.

I lived over there many times over the past several years. DK, BE, FI, The whole Continent is a wonderland! :)

i thought russia was not on good terms with the usa? i would have guessed that would make it harder to get a visa there.

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Not at all. There are little visa offices here and there on the periphery. Go there, get your visa, hop the next train to St Pete! Many mass media outlets here portray things as the govt wishes they were; not necessarily how they really are.The Russians just want tourist $$. That comes before diplomacy always. LOL

http://www.vfsglobal.com/russia/finland/english/

Last edited:

ATX

Reaction score
Yeah, I've actually read that the visa for Americans and Canadians lasts 10 years for Russia once you get it. For China as well, another good option. I thought about going ahead and getting both. There's many online companies that do this for you, only sketchy part is mailing your passport.

@voodoochile76 where you living there for awhile or "bumming it" and traveling around? Traveling culture is much older there, and I'm trying to get a grasp on it.

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Lived there for a couple years. You'll love it. Everybody's really cool; the hitching squatting and freeganism is where its at. :)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
call me crazy, but it seems financially a lot easier to go to the uk or the ukraine than to russia/china to extend your visa.

ATX

Reaction score
The UK just has one of the strictest border crossings in Europe, and very against migrants. They also are the absolute hardest to bring a dog too as well, so people like me pretty much can't.

The Ukraine would be a good choice, as well as Romania or Croatia. You could go to Finland and cross into Russia though, and the only expense would be the three year visa which you could use multiple times. Same with China, if you wanted to cross in. Perhaps not the best option if you only want to hang out in western Europe, but a good thing to look into if you want to see the whole continent.

Reactions: Mankini

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads