Legality of carrying knives (and other weapons?) | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Legality of carrying knives (and other weapons?)

boucaneer

Reaction score
yeah, i have a repeater crossbow i was gonna keep on my boat but as the boat is in a public space (ie a river) and not private moorings it would be against the law. if i get pigged again, it could cause me trouble.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Big fan of a stout walking stick here,and as I can prove that one knee was fractured(still a little gamey),can take it to places that most any other weapon would not pass.

XtremXpert

Reaction score
I had a knife similar to this: http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/414/726/76/o_15-INCH-JUNGLE-MASTER-HUNTING-KNIFE-104502.jpg
It was not a problem to have it in my backpack when I flew to France but when I wanted to take the ferry to UK, they took my knife, said I'm not alowed to have one there, my french is really bad so I was unable to 'fight' them, they asked me if I go back with the ferry, because I can ask the knife back (?!?), interesting.
And last time I got to England by plane, we had an axe in a backpack, but not any problem.

Skaggy

Reaction score
Big fan of a stout walking stick here,and as I can prove that one knee was fractured(still a little gamey),can take it to places that most any other weapon would not pass.

thats the old irish way of things, shillelagh's were carried by just about every man and if they had to fight someone thats what they would use. Apparently people became really good at it too and it was their equivalent of a pistol dual.

CanoeTramp

Reaction score
Been thinking about that myself, I got a dodgy hip, broken in a car crash, 20 years ago. Going to make my self an over engineered oak cane or walking stick, Would come in handy if I need to crack some yegg upside the head. Does any one know about the legality of hatchets, axes, and machetes. Looking at buying a small saw back machete, woodman's tool, or the marble camp cleaver. Concerned about what sort of trouble I would get in, if shaken down buy the police, along the roads or rails. Most of my past adventures have been in the woods or on the water, where one could pack a Kalashnikov, and not upset any one.

tallhorseman

Reaction score
The fact that you can buy a knife/gun/etc., and then have some punk cop confiscate it because you're carrying it, is just stupid. But our laws have gotten so out of hand, and our authorities so stupid that it's a fact of life. If they take it, they should have to reimburse you for it. If you can legally buy it, you should be able to legally possess it.

anne

Reaction score
Website
mobilecondo.blogspot.com
I like my pistol, but I'd also like to get a stun gun or some of these awesome blaster knuckles.
s7_230021_imageset_01?$thumb$.jpg

Too bad tasers and stun guns are illegal for everyone in Michigan except for people like cops and security guards, even with a CPL. That's more than a little effed up.

If you can legally buy it, you should be able to legally possess it.

Yeah, really.

HillBilly

Reaction score
i bring a hatchet with me, iam always camping so i have it for fire wood and shit like that if a cop askes and that seems to go over pretty well and it'd make a sweet weapon not that id want to use it ever.

Tao_of_Pi

Reaction score
I have a license to carry a concealed weapon but it cost me a few hundred for the required class, over a hundred for the actual license, plus I had to buy 100 rounds and range time to prove that I know how to fire a pistol. It's crazy how many hoops there are to jump through just to be able to protect yourself. They make it so difficult for poor people to legally have weapons when we usually need them more than anybody. These laws are so ridiculous--the right to bear arms only in the safety of your own home, whether or not you have one.

I live in South Dakota and getting a CWP is pretty easy here. So long as you pass the background check and pay a $10 processing fee the permit is yours. I believe we also have the highest percentage of permit issues per eligible citizen, with some counties being over 11%. Safety classes seem ridiculous and unnecessary, seeing as how a vast majority of gun safety is just common sense.

John Thune tried introducing a bill in the Senate last year that would have forced states to honor the CWP issued by other states. Not suprisingly the Democratic majority struck it down fairly fast.

LeeevinKansas

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
i carry a lil cheap ass like 4 inch knife for a dollar from walmart, im sure weve all seen em. i had a cop in las vegas take it from me, but then give it back. i told him it was a survival knife and it went over fine.

Nana

Reaction score
my knife now is a cheapy 4'' from some gas station. it does the trick. I had a nice remmington, but I lost it. Only once have the cops never returned a knife...said they needed for evidence. For What? not sure. Opp confinscated my p38, they said it was a weapon.

Stargazer

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
You guys got shitty luck, For the last 2 years I've been carrying my Mtech 150 crossbow in a "T" shaped case strapped onto my backpack frame, In Montreal the people loading the bags at the greyhound bus station said "interesting bag, you carrying Jesus on the cross in there lol"...Its sold now, 400 bucks, Replaced by a lighter Colt re-curve bow...among many other things lol...In all fairness I don't dress like a hippie or gutter punk, So cops tend to treat me fairl

nothingcoolatall

Reaction score
Checked around and couldn't find anyhting, so sorry if this has been addressed.

I'm hoping to bring my camp knife hopping which has a 5" fixed blade. I know anyhting over 3" on a campus or other places makes it a felony weapons charge. does anyone know if there is a jump like that on tracks, obviously keeping in mind even being on a train is illegal. i'd prefer not only having my 3" leatherman. thanks.

614 crust

Ex-Moderator / Elitist asshole
Reaction score
Website
feralkidscreations.com

Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score
Hey all,

Can anyone give me some solid advice re carrying knives ??

+Is the '3 inch blade = legal' the general law throughout out the U$A ??

+What is legally considered 'concealed' ?

I make recycled knives and want to carry some wrapped up in my
pack when I travel for trade/sale.
How do I do this, what if I get stopped & searched ??
Should I only make 3 inch blades ??

Have you been stopped by cops while carrying a knife ?
What happened?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score
Home is where the heart is and my heart is in my c
There's not much in the way of national laws regarding knives, with the possible exception of like switchblades, etc. You'd be best off consulting state/local laws wherever you are.

And as far as dealing with cops, at the end of the day you have no rights with the cops. Regardless of what the law reads, one cop might consider a 3-inch knife clipped on the inside of a pocket to be concealment while another couldn't give a damn. One cop might be cool with you having them if you explain that you make/sell them while another might go all Rambo on your ass. Carrying around a pack full of homemade knives might not be the best idea if you're going to be putting yourself in a position where your shit is going to get searched.

Zorila

Reaction score
Website
squattheplanet.com
i kinda hate this law thing with knives, it's a conspiration for charging fines against travelers, because travelers are easy targets for cops
whatever, i guess it wouldn't be so much fun beeing a tramp if it would be easy, my advice leave your machete home when you're hiting the road

trash diver

Reaction score
Has any one ever had a problem with carrying a fixed blade sheath knife on the road? Are there any laws against this?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads