Keene, New Hampshire

Dan Keizer

Reaction score
I don't know how Keene is for squatting, but it does have a left libertarian/anarchist community so it could be considered a destination for intentional living. Have you guys even heard of that shit? Any opinions?

deanmoriarty

Reaction score
I don't know how Keene is for squatting, but it does have a left libertarian/anarchist community so it could be considered a destination for intentional living. Have you guys even heard of that shit? Any opinions?
keene is a small city with a group of "anarcho-capitalists"(i know,im confused too and i talked to them...)that have a coop house with a bar and a room for broadcasting radio (via net i believe).my partner and i had a strange expirence when brought there by a new friend,met kinda hostile reactions when we questioned their positions on property,bosses,collective living,etc.find out for yourself by all means,but seems like a weird scene to us.they also do a public smoking civil disobedience thing at 420 each day,for those interested.

Dan Keizer

Reaction score
Hmm I know they generally come from the Rothbardian anarchist background but I thought they fell into the "left libertarian" category and would not be hostile to the more traditional anarchist views.

Shakou

Reaction score
LMAO! Dude, Keene NH is my home town! xD I spent 27 years of my life in that place before taking off cross country 2 years ago! Find Hannafords shopping center. behind hannafords is a section of woods. My husband and I lived in these woods for an entire summer once. The land owner is an old hippy and gives permission to anyone who wishes to camp there. You might run into a guy named Tod who lives back there. He's cool shit. If you see him tell him Becky and Ian say hi!

Reactions: Dan Keizer

Shakou

Reaction score
As far as the people go, it's a very liberal, free speaking, town. Some people being maybe a little TOO free spoken. But it's a very open minded, sort of hippyish kind of town with people who are always willing to help you out. They have always been big on the Occupy protests, but as of recent seem to be getting even more active with that. It has one of the greatest soup kitchens I've ever seen in my life. Full salad bar and everything. This is also one of the best places to meet others. The Hundred Nights outreach center is also a great place to meet others, and every Sunday night they have a really fun open mic from 5PM until 8PM. Keene has LOTS of places where you can set up camp and not have to worry about the cops screwing with you. Like I said, the woods behind Hannafords seems to be the best.

E

Earth

Man, I was hoping to visit Keene last year - like around now - but the person I was with back then had other ideas which did not include me....
Sounds like my kinda place though.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads