Just making my introduction :)

PatchTwist

Reaction score
Hey guys, Patch here. Currently, I'm a (supposedly) full time inventory coordinator/manager at a craft store, but that's going to change in a few months.
I'm searching for my minivan to move into so I can hit the road.
Traveling and breaking away from the ant colony is something I have dreamed of since I was a kid. In fact, I used to claim I would never be a cog. But life tends to take you where it wants you, sometimes. Long story short, I took a regular job and rented a house out of necessity a few years ago. One day, I realized I had been swallowed into the very life I dreaded most, so I started changing my course. I was depressed and anxious. I wanted more than anything to walk down the road and to just keep walking. To drive right past my destinations and see where the road takes me. It has been like cabin fever multiplied. The only thing holding me back has been the love and obligation I feel for my rescue animals.
Now I'm ready. My plan is in motion and soon I'll be leaving Mundania and living the life I need. The critters are being given to new loving homes. Everything I don't need is being sold. Odd end jobs are being lined up (especially at Renaissance Faires), I'm making product to sell as I go along, and I'm getting my feet wet in the salvage-sell arena.
Good, bad, beautiful, ugly, I want my life to be MINE.

So, that's a little bit about yours truly. :)

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
What a wonderfully well written intro! Welcome to the site. What sort of products do you make to sell? Also where do you plan to head off to / where would you like to see?

Reactions: PatchTwist

PatchTwist

Reaction score
I leather craft, hand sew, make jewelry, draw, paint, etc... Pretty much anything that catches my interest. Given the limited storage space I'll have, I'm keeping it all small.
As for where to go, anywhere and everywhere. First stop I'm planning on is SD to get residency and all that jazz taken care of. From then on it'll all depend on the situations. I will most likely work for a couple months, travel for a couple months kinda deal for a while.

Reactions: DrewSTNY

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
I can definitely relate to driving right past work and seeing where the road takes me. Once the last child graduates high school, I think that path will be a reality for my wife and I.

Carlvanguyrios

Reaction score
Good luck, good vibes, and love to you my friend! I can relate to this exact feeling. I bought a used 15 passenger/ construction van and have slowly turned it into a camper. I took the plunge, bought her, threw a mattress in and moved in about a month ago. The first days/ weeks were pretty brutal, figuring out what I need and how to organize it, but now I have a pretty cool system going. I love it because it's MY system. I have lived in a ready-made camper in the past and it was not nearly as rewarding as turning a regular vehicle into a home.

I have been amazed the last month at how wonderful/ helpful/ loving/ interesting people can be. Today started in the middle of no-where drinking coffee with some cool people in Wisconsin, and I am typing this from my restaurant job in MN. I plan to stay here until winter, then head south, until that gets too hot, then head north.. possibly alaska? :) and on and on...

I don't miss houses and 401K jobs one bit. You won't either :)

Welcome to your new life. May you find adventures every day like I do and loving people all around! Best of luck to you <3

Also, as far as vehicle choice.. What personally worked for me was finding a used 1 ton construction van. It works great because it is meant for hauling weight, so it drives softer the more weight I add (beds and kitchen gear and stuff). You can find 1 ton (3500) vans easily and they are generally pretty cheap if you find something with some age to it. Mine's a 99.

Attachments

• IMG_20170407_081158.jpg
    IMG_20170407_081158.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 17308885_1803311923328810_8263506420742559104_n.jpg
    17308885_1803311923328810_8263506420742559104_n.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 192

PatchTwist

Reaction score
Good luck, good vibes, and love to you my friend! I can relate to this exact feeling. I bought a used 15 passenger/ construction van and have slowly turned it into a camper. I took the plunge, bought her, threw a mattress in and moved in about a month ago. The first days/ weeks were pretty brutal, figuring out what I need and how to organize it, but now I have a pretty cool system going. I love it because it's MY system. I have lived in a ready-made camper in the past and it was not nearly as rewarding as turning a regular vehicle into a home.

I have been amazed the last month at how wonderful/ helpful/ loving/ interesting people can be. Today started in the middle of no-where drinking coffee with some cool people in Wisconsin, and I am typing this from my restaurant job in MN. I plan to stay here until winter, then head south, until that gets too hot, then head north.. possibly alaska? :) and on and on...

I don't miss houses and 401K jobs one bit. You won't either :)

Welcome to your new life. May you find adventures every day like I do and loving people all around! Best of luck to you <3

Also, as far as vehicle choice.. What personally worked for me was finding a used 1 ton construction van. It works great because it is meant for hauling weight, so it drives softer the more weight I add (beds and kitchen gear and stuff). You can find 1 ton (3500) vans easily and they are generally pretty cheap if you find something with some age to it. Mine's a 99.
That's excellent, man! Few things are more rewarding than learning and adapting through experience. And by the looks of the pics, you seem to have a really good start to your build. Good luck to you on your ventures and path!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads