Just a few questions for those that travel with dogs

jake4569

Reaction score
Ok i still have yet to travel, but I just had a few questions about taking your dog with you. First i got a bigger dog a german shepard. Do you think this would make hitch hiking harder? Shes nice as could be and wouldn't hurt a fly but the bread intimidates alot of people. Seeing as its a bigger dog will I have to carry around alot more water? i got a gallon jug strapped to my pack but damn is a gallon of water heavy. Will cops fuck with me alot more cause of my dog? and last one when your going to a store to lift, or buy some shit what do you do with your dog? Thanks for your time.

TheHawk

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
1. Your dog is your child, his/her needs come before your own, if you can't keep em fed, and hydrated, you shouldn't have him/take him with you. Having said that...Carry an easy portable/collapsible water bowl, not a big ass fuckin jug filled with water already. Look up dog parks along your travels, they almost always have free water fountains for dogs.

2. Be prepared not to be allowed in a lot of places, on buses, and if you're sneaking him on a train hop or somewhere it shouldn't be, make sure he/she knows not to bark and how to remain stealth. Hitching will be harder if you have a scary dog, yes.

3. Why would a cop fuck with you for having a dog? Unless he is somewhere he shouldn't be, or isn't well trained and he fucks with people, and in that case once again he should not be with you.

4. If you're going to have to leave your dog tied outside a store for a short period, make sure he knows to bark and cause commotion if anyone comes up on him. Mine will even guard my shit for me. And keep a damn eye on em, get in, and get out. Don't trust anyone else with your dog, would you let a stranger hold your baby while you went into a store?

5. MAKE SURE YOUR BOND IS A TRUE ONE- if you don't treat your dog with love, you won't get the "obedience" or in my eyes, acting out of love, that you need to ask these things of him/her. If it is a true bond, your dog would do anything for you, not out of fear or expecting treats, but bc they love you, and only want to make you happy.

I kind of think you should travel a bit on your own first so you know what the hell you're doing before you bring another life into it...but that's my personal opinion...

Hope that helps you. Peace.

jake4569

Reaction score
1. Your dog is your child, his/her needs come before your own, if you can't keep em fed, and hydrated, you shouldn't have him/take him with you. Having said that...Carry an easy portable/collapsible water bowl, not a big ass fuckin jug filled with water already. Look up dog parks along your travels, they almost always have free water fountains for dogs.

2. Be prepared not to be allowed in a lot of places, on buses, and if you're sneaking him on a train hop or somewhere it shouldn't be, make sure he/she knows not to bark and how to remain stealth. Hitching will be harder if you have a scary dog, yes.

3. Why would a cop fuck with you for having a dog? Unless he is somewhere he shouldn't be, or isn't well trained and he fucks with people, and in that case once again he should not be with you.

4. If you're going to have to leave your dog tied outside a store for a short period, make sure he knows to bark and cause commotion if anyone comes up on him. Mine will even guard my shit for me. And keep a damn eye on em, get in, and get out. Don't trust anyone else with your dog, would you let a stranger hold your baby while you went into a store?

5. MAKE SURE YOUR BOND IS A TRUE ONE- if you don't treat your dog with love, you won't get the "obedience" or in my eyes, acting out of love, that you need to ask these things of him/her. If it is a true bond, your dog would do anything for you, not out of fear or expecting treats, but bc they love you, and only want to make you happy.

I kind of think you should travel a bit on your own first so you know what the hell you're doing before you bring another life into it...but that's my personal opinion...

Thanks it does help alot man I really think your right in saying that I should travel by myself first, the only reason i really wanted to take her is cause we have such a close bond already, i take her out almost every day and she never barks even when other dogs are barking at her, I dont need a leash to walk her although i would bring one, because when she sees other dogs thats the only time she wont listen or a squirl or deer or something. I feel like its selfish for me to want to take her, but at the same time i know shes gonna hate it when im gone and she'll be real sad. She wines when im gone just for a day or 2 already. But still thanks for the feedback it really helps, and shes real indifferent towards people will never go up and fuck with them. shed be perfect to travel with.

trash diver

Reaction score

Well said.Dogs are courageous and loyal,but innocent,like chirldren.

Puckett

Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
YOU SHOULD ALWAYS CARRY A GALLON JUG OF WATER FOR THE DOG!!!!
IF YOU DONT YOUR AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!
yes dog parks have water but in the city where im from has 2 dogs parks and they are way the fuck out there. regardless if you have a dog or not you should carry plenty of water. and if you going to get on a train you should have a gal of water for everyday you think you will be on the train plus one for your dog for everyday. a gal of water weighs 8lbs. and i rather carry a gal of water everywhere than have my dog die of dehydration because i was looking for a dog park.
and with a dog of that size you can have her carry her own dog food and water. they have vest for that.

Reactions: DisgustinDustin

TheHawk

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
^ don't mind puckett, she's just mad she can't grow a penis no matter how hard she strains. grrrrrr

listen puckshit- my response was helpful to jake, and you felt necessary to hate all over it...grow up. if you want to carry 8 lbs go ahead. i never have, and i've never been dehydrated...nalgene bottles work great...some are just more resourceful than others apparently. that is all.

keep your ignorance and hate to yourself please. thanks bye

K

katbastard

^ don't mind puckett, she's just mad she can't grow a penis no matter how hard she strains. grrrrrr

listen puckshit- my response was helpful to jake, and you felt necessary to hate all over it...grow up. if you want to carry 8 lbs go ahead. i never have, and i've never been dehydrated...nalgene bottles work great...some are just more resourceful than others apparently. that is all.

keep your ignorance and hate to yourself please. thanks bye
you need to keep your flaming down, man. i don't see where all this is steaming from. Puckett never said she was talking to you or about you.

TheHawk

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
yes sir master sir don't infract me again please sir i'll be a good lil crustie sir no more defending myself nope nope.

swing low...... against the nazi crusts. coming for to infract my accoooount!

chaosfactorxx

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I rescued my dog on the road and he's gotten me out of some tough shit. I carry both a bowl and a jug of water with me. Yeah, it's a decent extra amount of weight to carry, but i've been stuck in the middle of nowhere with no water, so it's always nice to have some with you, for both you and the dog. I will agree with thehawk that your dog should ALWAYS come first. There's been some times where my dog has eaten before me because we only had enough money for my food or his (due to shitty spanging/getting stuck in bumblefuck) and he always wins. In regards to hitching, I haven't ever really had too much of a problem. People are going to pick you up with a dog or they aren't. Though, hitching's hit or miss like that anyways.

Reactions: Puckett
E

Earth

I think traveling with a dog is a bad idea because the dog is a major liability.
What if you get arrested - what happenes to your dog???
And I'm going to back up Puckett because to even ask if you should have extra water for your dog - I mean, com'on - you call yourself a dog owner??
My dog - who was a rescue - WAS originally going to be adopted out to some squater punk traveling kid type and in a roundabout way - I put a quick stop to that real fast - and adopted her myself.
When I got Loki, aka the dog of chaos - she was maybe 45 pounds - pretty much skin and bones (thats another story for another day) and after 9 months she grew to 57 lbs, today I'd say she's easily in the low 60s.
I dare anyone to tell me she's fat.
Anyway... I soon found out my dogs longevity for hikes - especially once it got to above 80 - was next to nothing. She suffers in the heat, and in the cold needs to be dressed just as an infant child - because her hair (not fur) is like whats on our own skin.
She is a good dog, my best friend, but not someone I would take traveling - because there's no way she'd survive.
My opinion: Don't bring your dog along, especially since you have yet to travel..........

Puckett

Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
I think traveling with a dog is a bad idea because the dog is a major liability.
What if you get arrested - what happenes to your dog???

I got my dog when she was 10 weeks old because another girl wasnt taking care of her. i traveled around for 3 1/2 years with her. in that time i never got arrested. i never put myself in a situation to where i might get arrested because i didnt want anything bad to happen to my dog. i spent a few months at my dads house this past summer and in that time my dog fell for my dads gfs dog. when we left they both got sad because they really liked eachother. my dog is now at my dads house in kansas. she is happy and well taken care of. i dont have to worry about her now when i travel and i miss her alot. but i know shes safe and i get to see her everytime i pass threw. i'll take her on short trips everynow and then but her home is in ks.

she was a great dog to have while traveling. always good and well fed and taken care of.

L.C.

Banned
Reaction score
Dogs can drink from streams and puddles (not city puddles cause oil,antifreeze ect), but on train you need to carry lots. Dogs feed themselves most times.. so often people gave me more dog food than I could possibly carry. Get fake service dog tags to get your dog into places, get a service dog vest too, it makes it more believable. Be ready to sacrifice oppertunities. Many times you won't be able to go places because of your dog. Without tags you'll miss out on movies hotels sometimes concerts, bars, ect. Hitching with a dog helps in my opinion, it makes you look like a compasionate caring human being. People see you with a dog they think you are normal and capable of love and care, which shows your not a psychopath. They make a ton of money flying a sign. You'll hear a lot of dumb shit like how do you feed your dog, or a homeless dog what a shame(while their dog is tied to a stake in the back yard for the last six years and hasn't been walked in just as long). You need to have food and supplies 100% of the time. Kids and cops and people will fuck with you if you aren't taking care of your dog. Remember to keep you shots up to date and your dog registered at least in one place. Have back up plans if you end up having to go to the hospital, have the money to put your dog in a kennel, or have a road dog to watch your dog for you at times. Last of all get a motel 6 location book, ask for it at the front desk. Having a dog means never being alone on the road, so to me is worth the love and company. I think dogs love it on the road. My dog always couldn't wait to get in cars, she would try to hop in the trunk if it was the first thing open, shre couldn't wait.

Kalamity Jean

Reaction score

this is very good advice one thing i would like to add you said you had a german sheperd how old is he? it is much better to get dogs on the road when they are young so there bodies are used to the walking the weather and meeting so many new people with geramns they ussually get bad hips once they are older the walking might be a problem good luck and take good care of your baby!~

Kalamity Jean

Reaction score
Dogs can drink from streams and puddles (not city puddles cause oil,antifreeze ect), but on train you need to carry lots. Dogs feed themselves most times.. so often people gave me more dog food than I could possibly carry. Get fake service dog tags to get your dog into places, get a service dog vest too, it makes it more believable. Be ready to sacrifice oppertunities. Many times you won't be able to go places because of your dog. Without tags you'll miss out on movies hotels sometimes concerts, bars, ect. Hitching with a dog helps in my opinion, it makes you look like a compasionate caring human being. People see you with a dog they think you are normal and capable of love and care, which shows your not a psychopath. They make a ton of money flying a sign. You'll hear a lot of dumb shit like how do you feed your dog, or a homeless dog what a shame(while their dog is tied to a stake in the back yard for the last six years and hasn't been walked in just as long). You need to have food and supplies 100% of the time. Kids and cops and people will fuck with you if you aren't taking care of your dog. Remember to keep you shots up to date and your dog registered at least in one place. Have back up plans if you end up having to go to the hospital, have the money to put your dog in a kennel, or have a road dog to watch your dog for you at times. Last of all get a motel 6 location book, ask for it at the front desk. Having a dog means never being alone on the road, so to me is worth the love and company. I think dogs love it on the road. My dog always couldn't wait to get in cars, she would try to hop in the trunk if it was the first thing open, shre couldn't wait.
i used to love it when i had my girl dixie people would yell "GET A JOB" and i would yell back " I HAVE A DOG" they would think i couldnt hear them and get all pissed off it made shitty comments pretty funny

Reaction score
I traveled with my dog for a good 2 and a half years, when I found her she was hitchiking by the side of the road in Tennessee, so naturally I picked her up. Im about to head to colton and hop a couple trains for fun and my dog is staying her with my girl and her mom in Apple Valley. If your dog already has a good home I would leave her there. Alot of people will not pick you up when you have any size dog, but ive gotten rides with 6 humans and 3 dogs so thats not a big deal. Ive also gotten rides with people just because of the dog. I always at least carried a nalgene with me in the city for my dog and never strayed to far from more water, as far as trains go make sure you have at least a gallon, probably 2 since you have a larger breed dog. I went to jail several times when I had her and have flown signs/spanged to get my dog out of the pound the two times she went. I would suggest not doing anything to put your poor doggie in that situation. its not hard I just tend to be a fucktard when im drinking. And yes print up service dog tags, thats not hard and ive never had a problem. In the end its your choice, youll make more money flying signs and what not, but remember, with great power, comes great responsibillity.

Reactions: jake4569

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads