is everyone really this stupid? | Squat the Planet

is everyone really this stupid?

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
$h*t
so first we have the big oil spill in the gulf just a week after obamas dumb ass says its okay to do offshore drilling
(which from what i understand was illegal for a while before he came... but the law wasnt even enforced...i found this out while going down the I-5 last year and i saw drilling off the shore of oregon and california)
then we have another i heard of from my sister, who says her dad wants to go to the beach but ,
"...theres oil on the beaches..."
and finally i find out just 30 minutes ago that there is ANOTHER god forsaken fucking oil spill in china...
which is apperantly like 20 times worse than the gulf...
so what the hell man...
how long have we been drilling for oil now like at least a hundred years and we just happen to be fucking up this severly right now?
but of course everything is dandy as long as our tvs still work
our cars still going cause were too dam lazy to WALK
our fake currency still circulating
who cares about the fact that SOMETHINGS going down
if anyone has any information that may put some light on this delimma of ours
it would be greatly appreciated...
and i would love it if someone would tell me im wrong, cause i know its a possibility
cause you cant really trust all that you hear out here...:sos:

M

Mouse

I think we all need to make a trip to the gulf, build ourselves some DIY refineries, and start making our own gas!

there's bound to be a tutorial on here somehwere.

toadflack

Reaction score
yeah i was thinking the same thing a few days ago. did all this shit just start happening or is it that i just started paying attention?

P

Pheonix

what I don't get is the detergents their putting in the water are designed to make the oil and water bond to each other (oil and water don't naturally bond together) maybe I dont know what I'm talking about but I think it would be easier to clean up if the oil stays separated from the water. I think their making the clean up harder in order to make the appearance not look so bad. which doesn't surprise me that will destroy the environment even more in order to save face.

coolguyeagle76'

Reaction score
a theory, im in florida and i here about a tropical storm comin this way thru the gulf, i heard it may suck this oil up into the atmosphere(oil being lighter than water and warm waters of the gulf feul these storms) where the lightning wiill ignite fire in the fucking sky, yea the end is nearith!

Often

Reaction score
What I was trying to say was that people aren't really stupid, just misinformed. This is because there are people who have a vested interest in keeping it that way. The information is still out there though. For example, did you hear about this?

BP buys up Gulf scientists for legal defense, roiling academic community | al.com

There is a lot of litigation against BP at this point, so they're going to try to stop any evidence against them. In the end this is all about dollars and cents.

Basically as long as there is a demand, oil companies are going to keep producing as much oil as they can as fast as they can. As long as their only intent is to turn a profit they will "externalize costs" to do it. Corporations are always going to cut corners to help their bottom line because they need to turn a profit every three months or look bad to their investors. As long as that is the way that corporations operate, there will be disasters like this one. In this case, this is because the government committee who is supposed to oversee this is notoriously corrupt and wasn't dealt with like it should have been. Because that is what the governments job is. Where the government failed its job was they did not reform the Minerals Management service, who had consistently failed to perform its basic duties to see that the oil companies were doing their jobs according to government safety standards, because they were literally in bed with them. See: Bush Official on Sex, Meth and Oil: Whats the Big Deal? | Mother Jones. (This was happening in 2007 as well)

This is all pretty horrible, but the last 10 years of the "war on terrah" is full of horrible things. Has this always been going on? Yes but believe it or not, even with horrible disasters it's better than its been, and as long as there are people out there who aren't jaded and apathetic, then it can only get better. The past 10 years have been a setback, but isn't this better than 100 years ago? 300? What I've been doing is trying to learn whats important and whats just sensational explain it to people as best I can. Hopefully, people will try to improve things.

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
what I don't get is the detergents their putting in the water are designed to make the oil and water bond to each other (oil and water don't naturally bond together) maybe I dont know what I'm talking about but I think it would be easier to clean up if the oil stays separated from the water. I think their making the clean up harder in order to make the appearance not look so bad. which doesn't surprise me that will destroy the environment even more in order to save face.

yes ive heard of this and discussed this with someone... they put this shit in it to make it "appear" clean... it is not clean however... i mean obviously... therefore they are effectivley poisoning and lying to us... they are not looking to clean it up or fix it... its them herding us like blind little sheep.

uncivilize

Reaction score
but isn't this better than 100 years ago? 300? What I've been doing is trying to learn whats important and whats just sensational explain it to people as best I can. Hopefully, people will try to improve things.

it for damn sure aint better than 10,000 years ago though.

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
woah now... i would give anything to be able to live back then... when there was some elevel of morality at least... when we were young and new... learning how to improve our country instead of know so much that we abbuse it to try to control rather than help or protect... i dont see this as improvement whatsoever

uncivilize

Reaction score
woah now... i would give anything to be able to live back then... when there was some elevel of morality at least... when we were young and new... learning how to improve our country instead of know so much that we abbuse it to try to control rather than help or protect... i dont see this as improvement whatsoever

there were never any good old days here, except for pre-Columbian times, there was never any "improvement", it all led to where we are right now. never should have existed in the first place.

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
there were never any good old days here, except for pre-Columbian times, there was never any "improvement", it all led to where we are right now. never should have existed in the first place.

i understaand this... im just saying id feel safer and more trusting with our situations earlier in our developement... there is a beginning for everything and an end for everything... so i think im being understandable when i say it was better then... but then again if i were living back then i wouldnt have something to compare to... so id probably just think it was just as bad as i think it is now... so i guess what im trying to say is that were gonna fall anyways cause time is a pendulum... but im still gonna fight for what i know is right, even if the end is inevitable

Ersatz

Reaction score
rezmutts:

Bingo about water. Water is life, we can cope without gasoline. Most of this world is water but such a tiny amount drinkable. Cannot last long without water, two days? The control of water is inevitable. I live in the Great Lakes region. Bound to be warfare here.

I don't look forward to it.

AmandaLynn

Reaction score
Apparently it's unlikely that that tropical storm picked up a whole lot of oil long term(moved it around a lot on the nearby shore and marshes for sure) The really scary shit is the chemicals they've been putting in the ocean to make it look cleaner. BP hasn't released the exact information on these chemicals(pretty fucking scary) It's very likely that these chemicals have been picked up by the tropical storm long-term. It's fairly possible that these chemicals could be carried all the way up the eastern seaboard and depending on what they're really made of(not good stuff) could kill a large amount of the plant life on the eastern seaboard. If not this tropical storm the next one or the one after that, although this last one went almost directly over the site of the spill.

I haven't done a whole lot of research on this, it's a theory that I've talked to a lot of people about, just something to throw out there.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads