is everyone really this stupid?

toadflack

Reaction score
"only when the last river and ocean has been polluted, and the last tree has been cut down, will we understand that we cannot eat oil, coal, gas, or money."

vegetarianathan

Reaction score
Shwilly, people really are that stupid. My grandmother thinks WE are the cause for this disaster. Not British Petroleum, not the government, but "those damn hippies". Not only that, but the part of the incident that really made her mad was that with supply going down and demand rising all the time, gas prices were bound to rise. THAT was her biggest issue with one of the worst disasters (if not the most devastating) of this past decade, and even beyond. I then left her house because I couldn't hear anymore ignorance and right wing propaganda.

On to the other topic about the next war being about water. I am currently reading the Dune series by Frank Herbert, which I highly recommend. If you don't know what it is about, here is a brief summary. The Spacing Guild holds a monopoly over the spice known as melange, which is an addictive poison that prolongs life and fights disease. This spice can only be found on the planet Arrakis (aka Dune) which is a barren, desert planet with nothing but sand and rock across the entire surface. At one time, there was water flowing across Arrakis, but it is now gone. To where has not been revealed to me yet. I believe it is because of the mining and destruction of the planet's environment that caused it to be so barren in the first place. Anyways, a recurring story element throughout the 7 book series is that the Fremen, who are native to Arrakis and wish to stop the planets destruction, want to restore the planet to a lush forested world with lovely things and plants and a man's water is his own. Anyways, this book is heavy in politics and ecology if you pay attention and showed me when I read the first one a couple weeks ago that if we keep it up, we will end up with our own Arrakis, so to speak, and water will be the new form of power as it is on that planet. When a person dies, they even extract water from his dead body to give it to the tribe. They recycle their own urine, spit, breath, and sweat, and put it through a filter so that it is drinkable again. The people don't even cry, their tears are so precious.

Anyways, when I read articles like about BP, and hear you guys talking like you are in this thread, I am fearful that "The Golden Age Of Earth" (as it is called in the book) may come to an end and we will have an Arrakis. Maybe not even our generation, or the one after, but it will come if we continue on this course. Again, I highly recommend the series. The first book was written in 1965 but it still rings true today.

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Shwilly, people really are that stupid. My grandmother thinks WE are the cause for this disaster. Not British Petroleum, not the government, but "those damn hippies". Not only that, but the part of the incident that really made her mad was that with supply going down and demand rising all the time, gas prices were bound to rise. THAT was her biggest issue with one of the worst disasters (if not the most devastating) of this past decade, and even beyond. I then left her house because I couldn't hear anymore ignorance and right wing propaganda.

On to the other topic about the next war being about water. I am currently reading the Dune series by Frank Herbert, which I highly recommend. If you don't know what it is about, here is a brief summary. The Spacing Guild holds a monopoly over the spice known as melange, which is an addictive poison that prolongs life and fights disease. This spice can only be found on the planet Arrakis (aka Dune) which is a barren, desert planet with nothing but sand and rock across the entire surface. At one time, there was water flowing across Arrakis, but it is now gone. To where has not been revealed to me yet. I believe it is because of the mining and destruction of the planet's environment that caused it to be so barren in the first place. Anyways, a recurring story element throughout the 7 book series is that the Fremen, who are native to Arrakis and wish to stop the planets destruction, want to restore the planet to a lush forested world with lovely things and plants and a man's water is his own. Anyways, this book is heavy in politics and ecology if you pay attention and showed me when I read the first one a couple weeks ago that if we keep it up, we will end up with our own Arrakis, so to speak, and water will be the new form of power as it is on that planet. When a person dies, they even extract water from his dead body to give it to the tribe. They recycle their own urine, spit, breath, and sweat, and put it through a filter so that it is drinkable again. The people don't even cry, their tears are so precious.

Anyways, when I read articles like about BP, and hear you guys talking like you are in this thread, I am fearful that "The Golden Age Of Earth" (as it is called in the book) may come to an end and we will have an Arrakis. Maybe not even our generation, or the one after, but it will come if we continue on this course. Again, I highly recommend the series. The first book was written in 1965 but it still rings true today.

and what exactly are we saying that seems to be so incorrect? i think what everyone has said thus far has been highly valid.
its thinking like your grandmother and every other yellow list civilian that scares me.
and as far as actually changing whats happening... i honestly think it to be impossible
for those of us who just want peace, and really dont want to be a part of this demonic shit
the world is going through... i suggest helping those who dont know whats going on to better understand
or make a livable community of like minded people untill the rest of the monkeys kill eachother off for oil and paper

vegetarianathan

Reaction score
I don't know what my grandmother thinks half the time, or how the environmentalists caused the BP oil spill. I try to support the environment and did not intend for this to happen. But, when you watch as much FOX News as she does, I guess your mind might be a little rusty.
I also agree with making a livable community of like minded people. Eco villages are the way to go if cities are going to be as destructive as they are.

Hollywood

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
i listened to just the slightest snippet of micheal savage a month or so ago and i learned that the environmentalists are to blame for the oil spill because they wouldn't allow it on the land or offshore so the deep sea drilling was the last resort. which is just, wow, such a myopic theory.

M

mittens

There may not be a war in the way you're talking, bare with me. If you think about it the there are really only two real players great lakes region. Canada and America. You might agree that America does not have enough water to support Its self. But, However, Canada does. Trust me, Northern Canada is the land of lakes, Muskeg(Bog land), and mosquito's. Canada has More then enough water.

What matters to the people that make the 'real' decisions, is that Americans don't want a war in there front lawn. Its bad for the bottom line.

American business has Canadian business in its back pocket. There will probably be no war because two people's have to be willing to fight. right now Canadians have no interest in the matter.

If you throw a Nufy in a vat of boiling water he will just jump right back out, but if you throw a Nufy into a vat of lukewarm water and then turn up the heat. he'll just sit there until he figures out whats going on. so... i guess he'll probably die.

M

mittens

Politics are absolutely retarded. right blaming left. left blaming right.

I heard this on the news. So Take it for what its worth. It was HLN a CNN affiliate.

what caused the spill was a faulty blow out preventer. A BOP is a pressure valve that is supposed to prevent the well head from exploding. the BP rig was outfitted with two BOP's. I think thats standard practice for all Off shore platforms. According to the report, workers had reported a problem, with the primary BOP to the company. the company told them to shut it down and hope for the best, and that, they would replace it when they got around to it. ...Oops.

According to what i would consider to be a believable news report. It was Criminal negligence, NOT Left wing Hippie conservative Fascist's that caused the spill.

vegetarianathan

Reaction score
i listened to just the slightest snippet of micheal savage a month or so ago and i learned that the environmentalists are to blame for the oil spill because they wouldn't allow it on the land or offshore so the deep sea drilling was the last resort. which is just, wow, such a myopic theory.

That is what my grandma told me too, thats right. Because environmentalists didn't want it on land, so they pushed them to do offshore drilling. How about less drilling in the first place, and more research on other forms of travel/energy? Geothermal energy perhaps?

anyways

Reaction score
The next war will be about water...

Funny you should say that because even before all these oil spills: clean, drinkable water was the natural resource we were running out of the fastest. It's also second only to air as far as what human bodies need to survive...

Ever read Dune?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads