how to travel in winter in the US

Contraceptron

Reaction score
Thinking about traveling this winter along the southern states via hitch hiking, craigslist rides, buses, etc... just wondering if anyone here could offer some advice regarding accommodations, safety precautions (ie avoiding illness), finding places to camp out, and what to expect. Just general anecdotes and stuff would be great.
Thanks, and sorry if there's another topic that discusses all of this stuff... I've never had much luck finding stuff on here.

trash diver

Reaction score
In my experience,from the carolinas to louisiana,the cops are bigger pricks than most other states.Especially small town locals.

Menyun

Reaction score
I plan on traveling this winter, but I'm going to the west coast since it'll be warmer by default.

Warmer by Default? how does that make any sense? west coast the water runs down from alaska and on east coast its comin up from the golf... Flordia is gonna be twice as warm as the west coast.

xACABx

Reaction score
Warmer by Default? how does that make any sense? west coast the water runs down from alaska and on east coast its comin up from the golf... Flordia is gonna be twice as warm as the west coast.

I refuse to stay in the south. I was born and raised here and I despise it. Southern California barely ever sees a "winter" and same for several other south western states.

Reactions: Nelco

xACABx

Reaction score
I'm aiming for SLC, except I know it gets cold as tits there, but I really enjoyed SLC when I was there last. But if I find it gets too cold for me, I head more south west.

xRastaxRuggzx

Reaction score
id say have fun it's gonna be colder whereever you go. Just take precautions so you wont be too cold. Thermals/Longjohns are a big help, when I had my gear (fuckin Asheville tweakers) I had a zero degree coleman bag, got it for like 50 bucks and returned my old bag in that one. as long as you have cardboard under it youll be good. They test the degree rating with some sort of insulation between that and the ground. Dont bulk up too much on clothes but its good to have two pairs pants, maybe one longsleeve shirt and two hoodies, So Cal was nice last winter. Didn't see too much rain in SD or LA. when it did rain though, it was for a couple days striaght then would chill out. have a fun time.

Dead horse

Reaction score
The cold ain't so bad then i guess being in Canada you get used to it.. if its to cold ya don't sleep so carrying things like Zippy fire starter sticks are handy for little bits of instant hand warming flame. I've done the the snow cave bit and heated rocks les stroud style in ur armpits, lots of blakets or just really good sleeping bags and who can forget squatting in stair wells and good old parking lots. Oh ya units are heated. though i've rode outta Calgary dirt face grainer on cold steel in 15 bellow zero celsius. lol just pretend ur a vikking or something

Xavierr

Reaction score
The south-west and south-east doesn't get too bad usually in the lower states, but in the south-west it can get pretty cold once the sun goes down since there's nothing to hold the heat in. Also I really like my insulated coveralls, can fall asleep in those things. With a thick hoodie/jacket and some thermals something like that could be good clothing wise. A good sleeping bag made for harsher weather is always a plus too I would assume.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads