How is the Australian STP scene? | Squat the Planet

How is the Australian STP scene?

makan kotoran

Reaction score
In way of Australians who use STP, there are about 5 of us.

I don't envy you being stuck in Brisbane, you should head North.
Free travel is very possible In Australia.
Hitching is Illegal in QLD, it comes under a law called begging arms, which is not an arrestable offense, or technically even a fineable offense, generally the police won't even bother pulling you up about it. but if they do, all they will do is tell you to get off the road and they'll run an ID check on you hoping that they can find something against you. The worst That has happened to any one I know while hitching in QLD is the police making them buy a bus ticket..
in the rest of Australia it is Illegal to be a pedestrian on the freeway, but this law isn't really enforced and walking 20 meters back to the on-ramp will make it legal.

squatting is possible. the only place with harsh enforceable laws on squatting is the NT. but since they brought the law in during early 2010, nobody that I know of has been caught.
there are plenty of empty houses around, if your in Brisbane try looking around coorpooroo and the other areas where they are building the new bus malls. I had a squat there in 09 that lasted for 7mnths before we left.

nothing that I know of in the way of communes, but all of the (long running) forest blockades are essentially communes with a more active focal point. and so are the Info shops, (Brisbane doesn't have any) are similar and both are very open to and mostly comprised of travelers.

apart from that. Dumpsters are amazing, busking brilliant, train hopping and hitching yachts is also easy and commonplace.

I hope some of this helps..

Reactions: GrowlEr

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
*le sigh* i want to go to Australia so badly...

HackTrick

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Markan, things look more promising than I first thought.
Why head north in summer? It's crazy hot up there. How is the North recovering after the floods and cyclone?
I just need to save a little money for a smaller bag and a tent then I'm off.

makan kotoran

Reaction score
the Summer is about to end is it not?
I have no Idea, I'm in Adelaide, how is Brisbane after the floods?
you should just use a tarp, and a mosquito net if you feel you need it.

HackTrick

Reaction score
I hope so, It's as hot as it has ever been but yeah you're right.
Brisbane is fine really, a few businesses are still closed though.
I was thinking of using a tent because the mosquitoes are insane up north and full of disease. It also has intense tropical rains.
Have you used a tarp up north before? I was even thinking of just getting a swag.

makan kotoran

Reaction score
there are cases of dengue fever, but not often??
yeah, It's fine with a tarp. I spent about 3mnths between Townsville and Cooktown with a tarp. it was fine, and empty houses are abundant in the quiet areas.
this was between December- Feb so the rain could be fullon sometimes, but it's usually not until about 4pm that it rains so if you make sure you have shelter by then, you'll be fine.

psychoviolinist

Reaction score
the only accurate location is australia :p
Ahoyhoy fellow aussies! Havent been on here for a while now. Been traveling pretty solidly for the past year and now have net acsess for a bit. What a nice suprise to see some aussies on here now :) I'm in ballarat at the moment making my way down to rAdelaide. In my opinion australia is kick arse for free travel, squatting, free living, and all it entails. Ive done the east coast S to N quite a bit and have never had any trouble with rides, trains, meeting cool people ect. Just coming back from doing the bush doof circut in Queensland for the summer. Then made an early depature cos of the floods. Now that was an adventure.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads