News & Blogs - Homeless unarmed killed by LAPD - his street name was Drizzle | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs Homeless unarmed killed by LAPD - his street name was Drizzle

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Found this over at a closed group I'm on at FB - talk with owner a lot. Dirtykid Couchsurfing coalition btw. Some of their members knew this kid. Guess he was outside a bar and "was causing a disturbance" - so owner called LAPD - resisted arrest(?) and - unarmed man shot. He was known as "Drizzle" or "Dizzle" Just think it's hugely sad.

Tossed up about posting this in our obit section or here or both. So here goes. Anyone here run into him?

This is Brenden aka Drizzle. This pic is from FB Dirtykids Couchsurfing Coalition closed group.

Vid at link is from news report that includes eye witness testimony on a good part of him and how the good part of that whole thing went down.

dizzle.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...n=naytev&utm_content=554b7c14e4b099665fcffd92

Los Angeles Police Killing Of Homeless Man Leaves Chief "concerned"

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said Wednesday he has yet to see evidence that would justify one of his officers fatally shooting an unarmed homeless man near Venice Beach.

Beck cautioned that his department's investigation was just underway but told reporters he was "very concerned" by the Tuesday night shooting that occurred as an officer struggled with the man on a block lined with bars and restaurants.

"Any time an unarmed person is shot by a Los Angeles police officer, it takes extraordinary circumstances to justify that, and I have not seen those extraordinary circumstances at this point," Beck said.

Department investigators have not interviewed the officer because he is on medication to treat a knee he hurt during the struggle.

The officers were not wearing body cameras, but police have surveillance footage from nearby stores that shows the events, Beck said.

The confrontation began late at night when two officers responded to a 911 call saying the man, believed to be in his 20s, had been arguing with a bouncer who would not let him into a bar and was hassling passersby, police said.

The officers spoke to the man, who began walking away but then came back and began struggling with someone on the sidewalk, according to a police news release.

The officers tried to detain the man, who was shot during the struggle, police said.

The man died at a hospital. No weapon was recovered at the scene, police spokeswoman Liliana Preciado said.

On Wednesday, a small crowd of people shouted at police at the scene. Beck later noted that the officer and the homeless man were black. He said the department will hold a meeting in the neighborhood Thursday.

The department was criticized after an officer fatally shot a homeless man in March on Skid Row, near downtown.

Neither police nor the coroner's office had confirmed the dead man's identity, though Preciado said a 911 caller and several witnesses identified him as one of the Venice area's many transients.

Last edited:

Kal

Reaction score
I can understand they have a difficult job to do but this is starting to get stupid. Are the police suppose to be trained on how to handle a physical confrontation without having to shoot somebody. I can understand that if your life is in danger you have the right to defend your self rather you are a cop or not but if somebody is unarmed surely there is a better way to handle the problem. Shoot and ask questions later is just wrong.
I'm the guy who has respect for the police but shooting an unarmed man is not something I can respect.

tobepxt

Reaction score
Website
wastedlandz.tumblr.com
If anyone is in the LA area there have been protests everyday. This Saturday at noon @ 52 windward ave, venice.

from the occupy venice beach facebook page: "Call To Action: People from the unhoused community in Venice Beach are asking people to come now and show support at a vigil on Windward Ave."

11194625_801292683287683_3580486033852525753_o.jpg

this hits close to home even from across the country.. when i was in LA earler this year i mostly stayed around venice. Sadly, I didnt get to meet this guy, but it could have been anyone we know.

lone wolf

Reaction score
sucks! it's becoming the norm in the states. i've heard the academy has changed it's training program. they use to train to hesitate before acting but now the course rewards for instant action. it's no wonder the number of shootings by cop has increased.

i've had a weapon pointed at me more than once and i can NOT stress the importance of remaining calm with both hands up and in view. do NOT make any other movements. let the officer go through your pockets to get your ID.
the time for talking is over when a weapon is pointed at you.

Reaction score
I really knew this guy. Slept near him.
Thats me with the sunglasses and the guitar.
That was a really bad time for us in venice.

He was a good guy. Smoked me down when I had none. Always jolly. Horrible times.

norcali

Reaction score
I can understand they have a difficult job to do but this is starting to get stupid. Are the police suppose to be trained on how to handle a physical confrontation without having to shoot somebody. I can understand that if your life is in danger you have the right to defend your self rather you are a cop or not but if somebody is unarmed surely there is a better way to handle the problem. Shoot and ask questions later is just wrong.
I'm the guy who has respect for the police but shooting an unarmed man is not something I can respect.
this is such a hard situation, Whenever they hassle me I just don't argue and def don't make any physical contact. keeping my hands in view! it is a terrible situa that we are living this way! but I intend to stay alive... no disrespect or finger pointing here at all just thinking out loud

Reactions: Kal

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads