hey sup

Flemmings

Reaction score
How yall doing. Been a couple places, like the Maine northwoods; Rochester, New York; Springfield, Missouri; Center, Texas; Dallas, Texas but nothing serious yet, still trying to get the feel before I make the jump and leave the minimum wage life behind and live free permanently.

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
Welcome, Lielanthris!
How you can have been to so many places but say "nothing serious yet"? I'd say that's a good start under your belt.
If I may, what sort of apprehensions do you have about the traveling life?

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Rochester huh - when were you here? On the bike? Welcome btw!!

Flemmings

Reaction score
Rochester huh - when were you here? On the bike? Welcome btw!!
I was there there for about a week in May. Not on a bike though, had a truck.

Welcome, Lielanthris!
How you can have been to so many places but say "nothing serious yet"? I'd say that's a good start under your belt.
If I may, what sort of apprehensions do you have about the traveling life?
I don't really have any apprehensions about it. I just want to get some gear and bike and trailer set up before I make the big jump and stay out permanently. Currently trying to decided which type of small dog would be great to bring with me. Leaning towards a short haired Fox terrier but not sure if it would be too big to take with me on a bicycle. Im not even sure if a dog would be good with a bicycle setup.

Reactions: eske silver

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
I don't really have any apprehensions about it. I just want to get some gear and bike and trailer set up before I make the big jump and stay out permanently.
Sounds rad! Bike touring is way fun. I did it a little bit (two bikes and a portable bike rack, with one carshare on the way) between Austin and Nola a few summers back. No matter where you travel, if you don't have couches lined up, I highly suggest making sure you've got a really good, light, waterproof sleeping bag and tent! lol

Currently trying to decided which type of small dog would be great to bring with me. Leaning towards a short haired Fox terrier but not sure if it would be too big to take with me on a bicycle. Im not even sure if a dog would be good with a bicycle setup.
If you don't mind me saying, I feel obligated to chime in about dogs and traveling; having pets myself, and having seen waaay too many douch-bagels with dogs on the road.
If you have a dog, awesome, bring him!
But please don't get a dog for the wrong reasons. It's a major burden when you're in the mud, starving and cold, and it's unfair to the animal to be put into such a lifestyle; It's not as easy for them as it is for us. And if that's the life a dog is rushed into right after being a pound or shelter... dogs can get really stressed out and overwhelmed just as badly as we do.
Espeically when your main form of travel is a bike, most breed aren't built to endure long-distance excursions, especially the smaller, "travel-friendly" sized dogs.
If you're looking to get a dog for protection, I'd suggest getting a good knife, a knuckle guard or a even tazer, instead. They're way more reliable and you don't have to worry about them becoming sick, malnourished, pest-infested, or anxiety-ridden.
If it's the company you want, a dog is best, but I good road-dog is better (conversations, etc).

My point is, don't be one of those assholes who get a dog for the sign-flying leverage, the protection, and the "hard-core" cred.

Flemmings

Reaction score
I got a real good sleeping bag, one of those 4 piece extreme cold weather military bags with waterproof bivy cover. As for the dog, was not my intention to use the animal as protection or to gain simpathy from potential "donors". I wanted to bring one for a sense of companionship. As I would rather have a dog at my side than some guy or gal who has the possibility of robbing me blind, etc, etc.

However, I did not think of how it would make the animal feel. I suspect I should get one now and bring it out with me on short bikerides to see how it would handle. If it does well, progress into longer rides and then multiple day rides. You think that would be a good idea?

As for getting money to feed it, as well as myself, I am not afraid of odd jobs I can find on Craigslist. Might even consider some other forms of migrant work. I'm still researching possibilities at the moment on how to make it all work out.

Thanks for all the input. Seriously never thought of how it would stress the dog out.

Reactions: eske silver

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
I got a real good sleeping bag, one of those 4 piece extreme cold weather military bags with waterproof bivy cover. As for the dog, was not my intention to use the animal as protection or to gain simpathy from potential "donors". I wanted to bring one for a sense of companionship. As I would rather have a dog at my side than some guy or gal who has the possibility of robbing me blind, etc, etc.

However, I did not think of how it would make the animal feel. I suspect I should get one now and bring it out with me on short bikerides to see how it would handle. If it does well, progress into longer rides and then multiple day rides. You think that would be a good idea?

As for getting money to feed it, as well as myself, I am not afraid of odd jobs I can find on Craigslist. Might even consider some other forms of migrant work. I'm still researching possibilities at the moment on how to make it all work out.

Thanks for all the input. Seriously never thought of how it would stress the dog out.

Thanks for not taking it personally and going off about it :)
I think you've got a good idea there with getting one now and letting it get used to bike life.

One really good thing you can do now, is get yourself food stamps. It's good to have that extra biut of income set aside just for food, but also, as soon as you get your award letter, you can use it to apply for petfoodstamps and the dot org site.
They don't send you money for food, but rather the food itself, once a month. If you don't have family that can do it for you, find a friend who let you apply for both with their address, and who wouldn't mind forwarding the goods to post offices along your route once a month. I haven't had a stable address in years so I never applied, but I've heard it's pretty damn useful if you can get it to work. The trouble, I think is that the people who need it the most, often times don't have an address, and that's a requirement for the organization.
On the plus side, if your dog has special dietary needs, they can accommodate that. They work through an online pet food and supply store, that stocks even the really high quality foods like blue diamond and taste of the wild! The latter of which I recommend for dogs above all others ;)

I agree though that a lot of "road dogs" are shady people, a dog is far better companion in that sense. Just make sure you also spend a lot of time with the dog before getting on the road. Training and bonding are crucial. You don't want to have to worry about him getting so stressed at any point that a snap/nip is his answer to ti, and you certainly don't want to have to worry about him taking off for lack of bonding.
I've known a handful of good dog owners in this lifestyle, and they all make a really special effort to treat their furry kin like their own children.

And walking around with your pup with their own pack vest, carrying their food and toys, is fucking adorable. So metal.

Flemmings

Reaction score
Thanks for not taking it personally and going off about it :)
I think you've got a good idea there with getting one now and letting it get used to bike life.

One really good thing you can do now, is get yourself food stamps. It's good to have that extra biut of income set aside just for food, but also, as soon as you get your award letter, you can use it to apply for petfoodstamps and the dot org site.
They don't send you money for food, but rather the food itself, once a month. If you don't have family that can do it for you, find a friend who let you apply for both with their address, and who wouldn't mind forwarding the goods to post offices along your route once a month. I haven't had a stable address in years so I never applied, but I've heard it's pretty damn useful if you can get it to work. The trouble, I think is that the people who need it the most, often times don't have an address, and that's a requirement for the organization.
On the plus side, if your dog has special dietary needs, they can accommodate that. They work through an online pet food and supply store, that stocks even the really high quality foods like blue diamond and taste of the wild! The latter of which I recommend for dogs above all others ;)

I agree though that a lot of "road dogs" are shady people, a dog is far better companion in that sense. Just make sure you also spend a lot of time with the dog before getting on the road. Training and bonding are crucial. You don't want to have to worry about him getting so stressed at any point that a snap/nip is his answer to ti, and you certainly don't want to have to worry about him taking off for lack of bonding.
I've known a handful of good dog owners in this lifestyle, and they all make a really special effort to treat their furry kin like their own children.

And walking around with your pup with their own pack vest, carrying their food and toys, is fucking adorable. So metal.
Hey man, no problem. I am a super laid back fellow. I'm all about the love and peace. I usually never take anything personal unless you get physical or steal from me.

I had food stamps but since I was unable to attend some meeting I got cutoff for the next 6 months.

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
I had food stamps but since I was unable to attend some meeting I got cutoff for the next 6 months.
Some states/counties are easier than others. Denver was a cinch. No meetings, just 3 months automatically after all the paperwork and intake.
Here in Oakland, I think it's easier than anywhere else. They made the work help meeting optional a few years back and the quarterly reports are now every six months.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads