Hey Now.

Ironweed

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Ironweed. (moniker is from the movie)

I am a Hobo who has been riding since 1986, when I flipped my first freight at age 16. Rode hard for 10 years, and now ride to get to and from work. So, that makes me an old fart compared to most here I suppose. I was lucky to have been mentored by a Hobo king named Roadhog.

I love Hobo & Tramp history and culture and believe it needs to be preserved and encouraged in the traveling community.

Not too big on technology, but sites like this can be good to get a pulse on what is going on. I used to hang out on Travelers HQ and that went belly up. Then went over to the vagabond Reddit where I seemed to make a bunch enemies. That site seems to only have a few riders on it and a bunch of greenhorns.

I can be a bit opinionated and tell things how I see it. I have not liked the way some of the younger tramp population seem to do things at times, and has caused all kinds of chaos. I will try to not be too judgemental here on STP. I have come to the conclusion that the best you can do is be an example and hope that others will follow.

I heard there was a bunch of drama going on here at STP, so I avoided it for a while. It seems pretty chill to me thus far. Hope to make some quality friendships here and share some knowledge. Making friends on the road can be very difficult. You just never know who to trust. Anyways, Highball!

K

kokomojoe

Welcome to the site man, was that guy Roadhog in some documentary? The name sounds really familiar. i'm sure you have some real good stories from being out there that many years.

Ironweed

Reaction score
Thank you Highwayman.

Roadhog was in a few documentaries. Another Hobo king I hung out with just passed away. Stretch. Will be in Britt this year for his funeral. Be nice to meet a few of you there. I generally don't do Britt. It is phoney and no real Hobo business is done anymore.

warlo

Reaction score
Website
www.bonsai.cf
Welcome!

not sure which drama you mean, here is quite allright!

I remember you from /r/vagabond. been following the site a bit until I said something "wrong" and got banned forever... Here you might just get a thread closed for being a bit too opinionated (not as bad as banning), which sucks considering all the "anarchist" hints on the website, but is not as bad as in /r/vagabond and I hope that soon enough we can have some free speach around here. But hey! cant demand all sort of things! lets work it out instead :)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
eard there was a bunch of drama going on here at STP, so I avoided it for a while. It seems pretty chill to me thus far. Hope to make some quality friendships here and share some knowledge. Making friends on the road can be very difficult. You just never know who to trust. Anyways, Highball

most of the drama ended years and years ago, and mostly came from the types of people hanging out at traveler's hq and /r/vagabond.

Here you might just get a thread closed for being a bit too opinionated (not as bad as banning), which sucks considering all the "anarchist" hints on the website, but is not as bad as in /r/vagabond and I hope that soon enough we can have some free speach around here.

we don't ban people or close threads for things we don't like, but we do close threads and possibly ban people for not adhering to our well documented rules, or posting things outside the scope of this message board (this is also well documented in our help area).

we try to be as 'anarchist' as this format and community participation allows. now that said, we generally allow everyone to do whatever they want. since we're the ones ponying up the time and money to give everyone this sandbox to play in, i think this is a pretty good trade off.

just so you know where we lie on that issue :)

@Ironweed welcome to the site, and don't feel too paranoid about offending the staff here. frankly the younger folks here could probably benefit quite a bit from your experience.

Reactions: Ironweed

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Nice to see you here Ironweed. Bummer about travelershq.. and it croaked right before I was going to get back to you PM. Place was a gold mine of info thanks to cxr and crow jane and others. Still serious about meeting up somewhere down the line. Some other time in CHI or Black Butte or someplace. Until then, Cheers.

Reactions: Ironweed
N

Notmyname

I'm glad that this site attracts folks who know their shit, and not just peeps who think they do. Drop some knowledge and tell some stories. We appreciate it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads