Heloo helooo

Thx

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Thx here, :)

I am former homeless, was outside on and off from 1991 to about 2003 I guess when I finally found a room in a rundown hotel, since then I have moved to a cheap apartment I have been at for 7 years now.

I was recently a member of another homeless forum and that one just disappeared.. like a hobo in the night.

Anyway, I started out in Southern California, spent a few months there and decided if I were homeless I'd rather be in a place with more trees than telephone poles. So I applied for general assistance in El Monte Cal., got my check and headed for Seattle. That was one of the best moves I ever made, I love it up here and have recently bought a piece of property at Hood Canal WA. right next to the Olympic National forest and about a quarter mile from the beach.

My thinking is to save up for a trailer or build a tiny house and retire to the life of a simple wood gatherer.

Gather deadfall all around my neighborhood to form an additional fire break and utilize the free wood.

Not unlike Frank Morgan's character "The Pirate" in Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat:

I used to be an electronic technician, had good jobs designing robotics and automated production lines.

It was great until our company went from 240 employees to 45 in two years. (Dominican Republic took many of our clients, labor was 25 cents an hour.)

After that I tried to get work in my field, eventually any kind of work, but after months of looking and ending up on the streets I gave up.

But, eventually I started doing landscaping and ended up with my own company: Sons of the Soil and am now semi-retired in my early 50s, I never in a million years would have guessed that, even at the widget factory I thought I'd be punching a time clock 'til I was 65.

So I hope my story demonstrates that homelessness might last for ten years, but it doesn't have to last forever and there is hope for each of us.

I wouldn't trade my outside time for anything, my "wilderness" period, everyone should experience the taste of genuine freedom at least once in their lives.

Oh, and I am a busker too, did Nashville a few years ago, I play 12 string guitar and sing, I play 60s and 70s pop hits, the songs everyone wants to hear, lots of Beatles.

Well, that's Thx in a few paragraphs, great to be here!

Thx :)

Reactions: ByronMc and wizehop

Thx

Reaction score
It took two months until I made up my mind to move (28 years in So. Cal) but like so many I found that the things I thought would keep me there (friends, job opportunities etc) dried up.

So I realized there was nothing at all holding me in Cali and started formulating my plans for my escape to the Pacific Northwest.

20abdkj.jpg

25sx4y9.jpg

I just love my new home!

Reactions: ByronMc and bum4evr

bum4evr

Reaction score
So I applied for general assistance in El Monte Cal., got my check and headed for Seattle. That was one of the best moves I ever made, I love it up here and have recently bought a piece of property at Hood Canal WA. right next to the Olympic National forest and about a quarter mile from the beach.

How did you get the money to buy the land? I always thought land cost many thousands of dollars so unless I got a really lucky lottery ticket land ownership would always be out of reach for me.

Thx

Reaction score
How did you get the money to buy the land? I always thought land cost many thousands of dollars so unless I got a really lucky lottery ticket land ownership would always be out of reach for me.

Actually, I found a place on the internet, Land Central that has cheap land with no credit check or qualifying, they have been selling properties on the internet since 2002, I bought mine right in the RE trough in 2009, $500 down, $210 a month for 5 years, I couldn't pass it up.

It took more than two months of looking at the site every day until I found something ideal for me. $10,000 was the price.

(And please mods, I have no other affiliation with Land Central other than I am a satisfied customer, I wish every company was as shit-together as these guys.)

My place is only a quarter acre, but is about two hundred feet from the Olympic National forest, so I like to think I have a reaaaaly big backyard. :cool:

Plus, I have the only old growth cedar tree in the neighborhood, this tree must be 12 feet in diameter.

Much of the best land has been snapped up, but it is still probably the best place online to look. From there I would seek private parties, the vacation property is often the first thing to go, before the car and even before the TV set.

bum4evr

Reaction score
Ahh cool. I have heard of sites like that before - but the land they sell is usually quite a walk/drive to the nearest town and has no utility hookups at all.. which is great if you really enjoy roughing it either in a tent/car/motorhome/trailer.. must be a great feeling to have a cop pull up and you can pull out some paperwork and say "I'm not trespassing sir, I'm the owner!" :)

Thx

Reaction score
Yes, it was hard to find a nice piece of land at a price and terms I could afford, especially with credit becoming so tight.

Also, I needed something off a running bus line because I don't drive anymore, at least that's not an expense I would like to incur.

I have neighbors on either side, so I'm not really that remote and hookups are something I'm going to have to get as I go, hopefully I can move there within the next two years.

But I'm looking at living off the grid as much as possible and will shoot for as low a cost retirement as possible.

There is enough rain here I can gather and treat it and a wood harvester's license is $25 a year.

Fukushima really messes me up, but I do have plans for growing food in cheap, elevated greenhouses and watering them with specially filtered rainwater.

Right now I'm paying rent at my apartment, paying my land mortgage and also saving for a travel trailer, I'll be glad when I move, I can barely afford all three. lol

I might just get a dinky trailer or live in a tent for a few months, you mentioned the cops, I wonder what the neighbors will do, report me maybe, or admire me for toughing it out in a tent, we'll see. The neighbors range from McMansions to small trailers, so I'm hoping they won't get too snooty.

What I'd really like to do and probably will, is build a multi-story rectangular tiny house, and if the county squaks or tries to raise my property taxes, then put it on a trailer...

Kind of like this girl who built her own...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads