Flea remedy for 6wk puppy | Squat the Planet

Flea remedy for 6wk puppy

Peregrin

Reaction score
Is there any safe remedy for a pup under 5lbs outside of manually removing them with a flea comb and tweezers? I'm on the road right now and sleep mostly outside. I just got her last night and i'm assuming fleas are from the house. I've pulled at least 10 off so far. She gets carried in my flannel shirt when its chilly and slept in my sleeping bag last night. Other than her occasionally scratching the infestation doesn't seem too bad.

Reactions: beersalt

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
diatomaceous earth

I will stand with it for my life. Just cover the pooch in it for a few days and they'll be gone. I've gotten rid of head lice and body lice as well as flees with the dogs a thousand times over again.

Reactions: Peregrin

Peregrin

Reaction score
Don't breathe DE.

Try pyrethrum.

Since you care, the fleas won't stand a chance anyway.

Keep plucking.
Where can I find DE or pyrethum? I'll probably just keep removing them and wipe her down real well to help with eggs. It's a great way to bond and let her know i'm the leader and get her comfortable with me.

Menika

Reaction score
If able, use vegetable oil to kill the live fleas then after about 10-15 minutes use Dawn dish detergent to get the oil off. Works wonders but won't prevent reinfestation. The oil is good for their skin as the detergent will dry her skin out and cause her to scratch even worse.

Reactions: Bryan Swift

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure you use FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth if you get it.

I also use this stuff called Cedarcide (for mosquito repellant and also for on the dog). It's basically just diluted cedar oil and cedar oil kills fleas, mites, and ticks on contact. The little buggers hate the smell too, so it acts as a good deterrant. I ordered it online somewhere but you could probably find cedar essential oil in a health food store, co-op, hippy shop. Just make sure you dilute it way down before you apply it or I imagine it would really irritate their skin.

Can't really speak for any other flea treatments because I just use a flea/heartworm pill every month I get from the vet's office.

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

BalancingBear

Reaction score
Treatment:
Make a strong tea concoction with rosemary. Do not boil, just steep for 24 hours or more. Dip the cat in this (when just warm, not hot) up to neck and use hand to scoop some onto head without getting it inside eyes, nose or ears. Dunk cat in and out a few time, rubbing fur to rustle fleas out.
I always check animal again with flea comb before tossing out the bath water just in case they need another dunk.
If the animal will allow, choose to soak them for a minute or two.
*crazy cat tip: wrap cat tightly to hold legs against body (not harmfully) in a t-shirt (thin, so the concoction will penetrates well) so they can not rip you to shreds

Prevention:
5 drops lavender oil (most important)
5 drops lemongrass oil
5 drops cedar oil
*mix with tablespoon rubbing alcohol to break oils
*add two cups water
*spray animal with solution as needed (I do once a day if in the "wild") ensuring to avoid face.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads