First timer, Toronto to Niagara Falls? | Squat the Planet

First timer, Toronto to Niagara Falls?

skeletonme

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can give me advice as a first timer, on where to catch out, where to find a train going from Toronto to Niagara Falls? I feel this would be a realistic goal for a first trip. Has anyone done this?

If no one has advice on where to catch a train to Niagara Falls, where is the best place in general to catch out from in Toronto without being caught?

O

outlawloose

Toronto to Niagara Falls is a bad idea for a first ride. Firstly, hopping out of Torontos CN Macmillian yard is difficult even for experience freight riders. Beside it being the largest yard in Canada, it's at the end of a line - everything departing is SBD and therefore tricky to know which way the string will later go. Secondly, I don't recommend riding a train towards the US border unless you're positive it will crew change before hitting Niagara, which I can't guarantee. You dont want to enter the States on a freight.

For first timers trying to figure it out without a guide, I'd recommend heading to the first crew change points outside Toronto. MacTier or Parry Sound for NBDs or Smith Falls for EBDs. Hope this is helpful - ride safe.

skeletonme

Reaction score
Toronto to Niagara Falls is a bad idea for a first ride. Firstly, hopping out of Torontos CN Macmillian yard is difficult even for experience freight riders. Beside it being the largest yard in Canada, it's at the end of a line - everything departing is SBD and therefore tricky to know which way the string will later go. Secondly, I don't recommend riding a train towards the US border unless you're positive it will crew change before hitting Niagara, which I can't guarantee. You dont want to enter the States on a freight.

For first timers trying to figure it out without a guide, I'd recommend heading to the first crew change points outside Toronto. MacTier or Parry Sound for NBDs or Smith Falls for EBDs. Hope this is helpful - ride safe.

Thanks. You've confirmed my concerns about getting on from Toronto. The reason I say Toronto to Niagara is the distance isn't too insane so seemed like an attainable place to start, length-wise, and I live in Toronto. I'll look into the Smith Falls. Thanks for your advice. :)

K

Kim Chee

...where is the best place in general to catch out from in Toronto without being caught?

If train riding were that easy everybody would be doing it.

If you're concerned about being caught I recommend:

Riding a bike.
Hitchhiking.
Going with somebody who is experienced.
Reading every single trainhopping post on StP and gleaning useful information.
Saying "fuck it", who cares if I get caught.

Have fun and be safe.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads