News & Blogs - FBI targets Crusties | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs FBI targets Crusties

shabti

Reaction score
Da fuq? Ran into this article on gawker. FBI ran an op called "project thunder" that targeted Crusties, and animal liberation peoples.

http://gawker.com/5892639/how-the-f...market-under-the-guise-of-combating-terrorism

Here is a tidbit:

A 2003 inspector general audit of the bureau's intelligence gathering and sharing capabilities took note of the increasing emphasis on domestic counterterrorism investigations aimed at "criminal activities associated with animal rights, environmental, and anti-abortion extremists, as well as by certain social protestors" as opposed to, you know, al Qaeda. The report diplomatically suggested that the FBI's counterterror resources should be reserved for combating actual terrorism: "To the extent that the FBI seeks to maximize its counterterrorism resources to deal with radical Islamic fundamentalist terrorism, WMD, and domestic groups or individuals that may seek mass casualties, we believe that FBI management should consider the benefit of transferring responsibility for criminal activity by social activists to the FBI's Criminal Investigative Division."

The bureau obviously didn't listen. It should be noted that the 11 people eventually indicted in Operation Backfire actually had committed serious crimes worthy of federal investigations. Though the documents are heavily redacted, it appears from context that at the very least one of them—Chelsea Dawn Gerlach, who participated in the Vail arson—was a target of Seizing Thunder.

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
First of all, LOL.
That was ludicrously funny.
Having said that, it's not exactly new, not really, just a continuing expansion of programs that have been in place since the creation of the FBI in the first place. It's a natural consequence of the mindset. To the FB, anyone who doesn't toe the line, in any way, is a suspect. It's tiresome. Given the growing and real trend toward actually criminalizing the poor and homeless and those who would help them, it's not a surprise.
However, given FBI collaboration with local PDs, one might wonder if the aforementioned trend isn't being fueled as much by police forces coming into contact with so much FBI paranoia as anything else.

shabti

Reaction score
no suprises here. Anybody who identifies as an anarchist or associates with anarchists skips to the front of the watchlist and probably has their own secret dossier tucked in a desk somewhere..

I like to turn this on its head. If they're monitoring my info, and they see that I'm
-networking to build community gardens
-fixing technology
-learning about world history

and otherwise being informed, and involved in the world around me, then, you know, that's what they see.
It's an extraordinary waste of money and resources that could be spent on other social programs.

Curious, curious, this panopticon suddenly visible in the eye of those being watched.

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
I see your point, and point out the FBI (or any branch of the government, for that matter) is neither logical in its approach or careful with what they spend OUR money on, cause it's not their money.
We should all keep that in mind when we're tempted to think of government as a benevolent force. Lose the benevolent component and you're closer to the truth.

Reactions: Mankini

lone wolf

Reaction score
It's an extraordinary waste of money and resources that could be spent on other social programs.
true but when they have the ability to create money from nothing then it doesn't matter how much it cost. if the world understood how money was created then we wouldn't be in this mess.

Reactions: Mankini

shabti

Reaction score
true but when they have the ability to create money from nothing then it doesn't matter how much it cost. if the world understood how money was created then we wouldn't be in this mess.

Hmm...I've started to doubt that "they" have this ability at all. The institutions that enact social and economic policy are diverse, and are pressured and prodded by a host of other institutions. I take the view that nature goes by path of least resistance. Meaning, if ______ policy is the one chosen, (in this case, whatever money creation policy they use to fund the treasury), then all the organizations involved have chosen that policy because it's the simplest, easiest thing to do. Kind of like, water will never flow uphill.

While you and I might see an incentive to radically changing (or abolishing) some of the economic policies that govern the machinations of this big global beast, the people who are making those policies have a MUCH LARGER set of incentives to NOT changing it. Or to a host of synchronous goals, like increased market flexibility (read: private contractors not full time employees).

Michele Feher did a really good discussion on what might actually drive markets (and their component actors: states, producers, investors, consumers, etc.) in this anarchist podcast: https://kpfa.org/episode/against-the-grain-may-6-2015/

so...to wrap it all up, I always ask people "who do you think has a harder time changing the system, a girl on the street, who at any point can begin a direct action, or a CEO for an oil company, who must answer to shareholders, stakeholders, investors....etc. Think they can just up and change the course of history as easily as a group of dedicated anarchists?"

that same question might be applied to this topic. Do they really have the capacity for change? I might argue that not without significant and new incentives. Just as the river won't re-divert its course on a whim, the system won't change its course without a very good reason.

lone wolf

Reaction score
Hmm...I've started to doubt that "they" have this ability at all. The institutions that enact social and economic policy are diverse, and are pressured and prodded by a host of other institutions. I take the view that nature goes by path of least resistance. Meaning, if ______ policy is the one chosen, (in this case, whatever money creation policy they use to fund the treasury), then all the organizations involved have chosen that policy because it's the simplest, easiest thing to do. Kind of like, water will never flow uphill.

While you and I might see an incentive to radically changing (or abolishing) some of the economic policies that govern the machinations of this big global beast, the people who are making those policies have a MUCH LARGER set of incentives to NOT changing it. Or to a host of synchronous goals, like increased market flexibility (read: private contractors not full time employees).

Michele Feher did a really good discussion on what might actually drive markets (and their component actors: states, producers, investors, consumers, etc.) in this anarchist podcast: https://kpfa.org/episode/against-the-grain-may-6-2015/

so...to wrap it all up, I always ask people "who do you think has a harder time changing the system, a girl on the street, who at any point can begin a direct action, or a CEO for an oil company, who must answer to shareholders, stakeholders, investors....etc. Think they can just up and change the course of history as easily as a group of dedicated anarchists?"

that same question might be applied to this topic. Do they really have the capacity for change? I might argue that not without significant and new incentives. Just as the river won't re-divert its course on a whim, the system won't change its course without a very good reason.
i just meant that if all people understood how money is created a century ago then it wouldn't have been allowed and the world would be a different place. i don't know if anything would change today. possible but who knows... here is a gr8 vid for anyone that hasn't learned the secret principles of central banks. this is the number one reason wars are fought today. only 2 (maybe 3, not sure about cuba with recent policy) countries left and they will own the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaguwar

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
The Feds are overrated. In fact, all piggies are. 20 agencies took 10 years to find UBL...several decades to find Carlos the Jackal; and him only with the help of Mossad and Interpol. They never caught the Zodiac, and he was out in the open, relatively speaking. They took decades to catch the Green River killer; BTK; the list goes on. Theyre the quintessential fumblers: second rate bureaucrats from second rate schools.
Best thing to do with these hooligans is file class action suits ad nauseam until SCOTUS is clogged with em.

Reactions: Jaguwar

dannidirt

Reaction score
Im laughing at this so much cause they always have a close eye on us activists. Dont you know the CIA and FBI are the cause of most political riots to date. And animal liberation front is always hiding their identity due to worms getting into the system and infiltrating to destroy its yolk. Silly silly

P

pigpen

Im laughing at this so much cause they always have a close eye on us activists. Dont you know the CIA and FBI are the cause of most political riots to date. And animal liberation front is always hiding their identity due to worms getting into the system and infiltrating to destroy its yolk. Silly silly

ALF and ELF are banners under which actions actions are carried out, not a group or organization. There is no core group or yolk to infiltrate.

P

pigpen

WELLP, i typed up some other shit but apparently gumment doesn't like me talking bad about them.

basically what I said was; with some of the really dumb shit I've seen online that people have said/done/whatever under the black lives matter hashtag/banner, I have to wonder "are you really this out of touch or is this some COINTELPRO shit?"

like this, this is bad

https://www.change.org/p/billboard-potus-adele-adele-needs-to-publicly-recognize-her-white-privilege

I don't like adelle and I'm not saying she deserves to be a super star, but the examples given here are re-goddamn-diculous. Janet Jackson's most recent album debuted at #1 and beyonce could literally walk into my house right now and shit on my kitchen floor and I would clean it up with a smile on my face.

P

pigpen

AND ANOTHER THING...they say in that petition - "We demand that Adele publicly acknowledge that although she has a little bit of talent, it's her white privilege that is selling her album. We also demand that Adele donates her money to African-American causes such as #Blacklivesmatter."

who the fuck is adelle supposed to cut the check to? How do you give money to a hashtag?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads