Favorite hitching sign | Page 6 | Squat the Planet

Favorite hitching sign

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
once I made a sine with captain crunch. (I dont eat it and the box was fucked up.)
I dont have a pic but I'l do it again cause its funny as hell.

I ripped the box open glued the box and some of the cereal to the cardboard like it was bleeding. made a fake knife and had the words "I'm not a cereal killer, give me a lift" on it.

FuckYeah

Reaction score
met up with some kids i had met previously. we were all hitchin 101 north, posting for rides together, but not adamant about getting rides in the same car. we flew a sign that said "FREE HITCHHIKERS, PLEASE TAKE ONE" ended up getting a ride from willits all the way up to arcata in the back of a pickup truck full of pears. it was awesome.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
met up with some kids i had met previously. we were all hitchin 101 north, posting for rides together, but not adamant about getting rides in the same car. we flew a sign that said "FREE HITCHHIKERS, PLEASE TAKE ONE" ended up getting a ride from willits all the way up to arcata in the back of a pickup truck full of pears. it was awesome.

Did you have a pear? I once rode with some dudes with a contraption on their truckbox that was piled above the level of their cab with mangosteens, which are nearly to die for. I was too thankful for the ride to ask for one...plus the language barrier was pretty significant. Next time I totally would ask. What's one piece of fruit??
open_mangosteen.jpg

An inner-mouth explosion, that's what!

christianarchy

Reaction score
me and my lady were just trying to get up this giant hill in this redneck town in WA while i had a broken leg, and despite my crutches and beautiful lady no one picked us up. it was ridiculous.
for future travels i'm thinking about taking crutches and just having a sign that says "seriously??" for my partner to hold up as i hobble along (slowly of course) on crutches. although it might look like some sort of weird trap too..
anyone pulled the sympathy card and faked a injury for a quick ride?
not sure if the idea is great or shit.

i've seen "free hitchhikers" before, is probably my favorite.

BananaPhuck

Reaction score
I was coming north out of Ashland and decided to walk I-5. I didn't have a sign, so I was using my thumb, and then a mile down the road I found a skim board (like for the beach) in the ditch. I have no idea why it would be there. I simply wrote "NORTH" and bunged it to my pack. Got several rides out of it, including Grants Pass to Eugene.

I actually have it sitting next to my pack right now.

bfalk420

Reaction score

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
"pick me up and you can drive in the carpool lane"...obviously too many words for most signs but its a funny idea

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. Have to shorten it, maybe
" U S E
CARPOOL LN.
w/ ME "
or just the top two lines/

I just got a couple rides out of a
"60 mi.
PLEASE"
sign, which I think it pretty damn good, and which seemed to be successful.
People going 30mi or 40mi or 75mi or 200mi can pick you up, it's only an hour (or less) of their drive (though they might well let you continue on as far as they go), and you can just keep using it, never need to make a new sign.

AshMash

Reaction score
Got the idea for this one from STP. Didn't get us a ride, but we did have one guy pull over and say, "My daughter called me and said she saw you boys. Tokyo, huh? That's pretty far. Can't give you a ride, I'm just going to the next exit, but here's a couple bucks." Thanks for the cash, brianiac haha

7323_1173880998726_1579082082_427372_6744389_n.jpg

Haha my boy, a friend and I hitched from SLO, CA to Big Sur and back down to the Bay with a sign that read "Tokyo".
You would not believe the smiles we got. And the random beer. And money. And some of the best rides ever.
It's, so far, my favorite sign.
We also got the idea from StP.

JayJayOnTheFly

Reaction score
usually i just put where im going this and "fishing" always serve me well i think the longest i waited was like 40 mins prolly a lil less ppl reallly love the fishing thing its funny as helll

spidermonkey

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i was riding BNSF in montana when i was still inexperienced, having gotten off at the siding on the west side of the bridge in Cut Bank thinking it was shelby....i had to walk across that bridge and hitch to shelby....after several hours with no ride i made a new sign that had only a question mark on it {?} really big and bold...got a ride to shelby within minutes of flyin it...and hung onto it for awhile after that, used the ole 'question mark' a few other times, both for rides and cash, and always got the ride quickly or made the cash quickly.

the people that stoped for someone that 'doesnt seem to know what they want' were always over the top, let me tell you

btw, in case you've never ridden the hi-line and dont know that bridge, most folks dont feel safe when RIDING over that bridge on a train, let alone walking it....there were boards falling from beneath my feet and they fell so far that they were specks by the time they hit the river....hahaha....

scamp

Reaction score
My favorite signs I ever flew was around christmas time, The first one I was trying to get to quartzsite az and I had a sign that said "going ho ho home for christmas" with christmas drawing all over it everyone and there mother wanted to buy me greyhound bus tickets
The second one I made after the other one got lost when we squatted in the desert was
"Need a ride to the north pole to kick santa's ass!" nobody really liked that one....

• Haha
Reactions: Ynwdwndrr

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads