Favorite hitching sign | Squat the Planet

Favorite hitching sign

B

bakerdoo

I am sure everyones got their favorite sign that they make when hitchin rides. care to share your funny/creative signs that have been effective?

Mine: can i hang on to your hitch?

i know, not that good, needs improvement...
:(

A

adam

we were flying "We wont kill you", in the city limits of Birmingham Al. Great for laughs-the cop that drove by looked pissed, but eventualy a college kid picked us up. When i got in the car i should have said "Just kidding". Always next time.

Also you can buy those big foam thumbs up used for basketball games and shit, i want to get one of those for $10 or so.

Reactions: Batsy and Forth
C

Clit Comander

we always will fly a sign that just says the next biggest city.
one of my rod dogs knows a guy who got a hitching thumb tattooed on the inside of his arm. so he justs walks backwards with his arm out.

Reactions: Batsy

Poking Victim

Reaction score
Clit Comander wrote:
we always will fly a sign that just says the next biggest city.
one of my rod dogs knows a guy who got a hitching thumb tattooed on the inside of his arm. so he justs walks backwards with his arm out.

I either do that, the direction I'm headed or 'next biggest city' / 'direction headed'.
The tattoo sounds retarded because it's not a large task to stick out your thumb if your arm is already out and who could ever see his tattoo from their car and actually figure it out in time to pick him up?

Reaction score
Trying to get to this town in Croatia.

l_6994e14002425cecec5d1b4a86e708f7.jpg

Somewhere in the Southwest
779952879_l.jpg

Simplicity works well for trying to get to whatever country your trying to get to. No need to beat about the bush.
l_30218caa0e4ceebd2c04b9fdbb06db9e.jpg

Sometimes just standing and giving cornfields the finger works real well for getting rides.
l_f25add72b7f5aff2182830e8950590cb.jpg

Post edited by: artandrevolution, at: 2007/09/14 12:34

• Haha
Reactions: skipthistown6661
G

Grace

My boyfriend and I were sitting at an exit off the NJ Turnpike north -- he was trying to get to Vermont in a day. Our sign said "We Don't Wanna Die in Jersey." But I think Jersey people have a little too much pride -- it didn't work too well until some old hippie dude from Connecticut cut us a break.

H

Hoghead Bob

Make shure this is playing in the background:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS4dQDjTJrQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS4dQDjTJrQ[/ame]

i just hitched down the 101 too, from coos bay to san francisco. the two kids i was travelling with had a banjo and a washboard and every time we were waiting for a ride, they would just set up and play. we got rides so quickly, i felt bad that i was just holding the sign, but i think we looked like such bumpkins people assumed we were harmless =)

Reaction score
Widerstand wrote:
Nice signs! Which one worked best?

ha, well, quite possibly just giving Greece the finger might have been the quickest ride outta there by some mafia men, BUT the SLC god bless sign got 4 of us from Flagstaff to SLC in one day, all 4 of us (3 ladies, one dude, a puppy, and a violin) in the same rides all together.

G

Grace

Ahahaha Mouse. I'll bet it worked wonders. Is it absolutely necessary to, as a female, hitch with someone else, be it a male or a female. Obviously these pics were taken in Europe. At least...I hope they were. I figure Europeans are probably way nicer about hitch hikers than Americans. It's just that they're going about 200 miles an hour--way too fast to read any cardboard.

M

Mouse

this may be true about europe, but I still wouldn't be caught dead trying to hitch rides in a mini skirt. even when I wear a tank top and jeans and smell like I shit myself I get perverts trying to buy sex from me. I just wouldn't risk it.

maybe europe is a different beast, but I wouldn't try that in this neck of the woods.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Europe is a completely different beast when it comes to hitchhiking. It's completely accepted, for one thing, no laws against it as far as I know.

Reactions: Ynwdwndrr
G

Grace

Yeah I'm putting backpacking through Europe on my to-do list, but first I want to deal with America. Europe I've seen, and there's that language barrier thing that I can get past with some more study. But America is what really interests me...so many fucked up people/regions. So little time.

J

jack ransom

Grace wrote:
Yeah I'm putting backpacking through Europe on my to-do list, but first I want to deal with America. Europe I've seen, and there's that language barrier thing that I can get past with some more study. But America is what really interests me...so many fucked up people/regions. So little time.

I know what you mean.
hitchhiking in America has forced me to confront the difference between what it means to be a good person and to have good ideas. I've had xenophobes, sexists, homophobes, racists (usually all of those things at once) bend over backwards for me and treat me like their fucking son. granted, I have the privilege of relatively white skin and an unambiguous male gender presentation which probably allows for friendliness. but still, for these reasons I've really enjoyed hitching a lot of the states. Rural America is in your face and real as fuck in its own dirt poor, culturally backwards kind of way, and being a teenaged kid from a one horse town doesn't grant me the opportunity of kicking it with uber-cultured, sophisticated Europeans on a daily or evenly monthly basis which I feel like keeps me grounded and in touch with a lot of beauty and a lot of filth at the same time. its kind of an important thing to experience, I feel like.

And I'd lose my shit if my partner (female) hitchhiked in a mini skirt (Europe or not), but if it worked for artandrevolution + her friend than who am I to comment on it? If they were comfortable with how it worked for them its might be a tactic worth considering.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads