Europe

D

Deleted member 1802

I'm going to be in Frankfurt on the 14th of Juli but I am going to Oslo very quickly for a concert there, then I will hitch or buy a bike. If any of you wonderful people are around and interested in hitting up eastern Europe I'll be wandering around. I haven't been to Europe in two years and I'm very happy the exchange rates got better. I'll be in Europe for 3 months and the initial month will be going Frankfurt->Berlin->Oslo->Munchin->?

BIS GLEICH!!!!

Komjaunimas

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Frankfurt on the 14th of Juli but I am going to Oslo very quickly for a concert there, then I will hitch or buy a bike. If any of you wonderful people are around and interested in hitting up eastern Europe I'll be wandering around. I haven't been to Europe in two years and I'm very happy the exchange rates got better. I'll be in Europe for 3 months and the initial month will be going Frankfurt->Berlin->Oslo->Munchin->?

BIS GLEICH!!!!

Come to Force Attack festival ForceAttack-OpenAir: Das Musikfestival in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern an der Ostsee | Dr in the end of July

Komjaunimas

Reaction score

BIS GLEICH!!!!

Come to Force Attack festival ForceAttack-OpenAir: Das Musikfestival in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern an der Ostsee | Dr in the end of July

sockpuppets33

Reaction score
Me neither. Though, I went to Greece, and it was very nice (in the tourist spots). Unfortunately it's a bit dangerous outside of the city limits. But, if you're prepared and can handle it; it's definitely a beautiful country.

D

Deleted member 1802

ticket confirmed, I'm playing the waiting game. I have to be in Oslo for a show on the 31st of Juli, I have a friend that goes to force attack but we couldn't go last time because he was with his child and I was in Austria.

r3353

Reaction score
i dont know where to start? i had the greatest time while in Europe. Hitching was easy in every country i was in. The dumpsters were overflowing in Denmark. Infact, everyone should check out Christiania in Copenhagen. Since they tore down the Ungdomhuset (youth house- in Danish)a couple years ago, there has been a little dis-organization in the alternative movement. But still alive for sure. They had protest marches EVERY Thursday for a year after the 5000 people gathered to riot the eviction. The gov't is trying to shut down Christiania because it is so close to the city center and valuable property. Recently there have been attacks inside the freestate (by immigrant gangs, says the gov't) in attempts to re-establish the hash/marijuana market from the Hells Angels. It is one ov the biggest tourist attractions in DK, so i dont think itll go anywhere after these 30-sum years as a (900ppl)squatted community, but you never know the evil ov the right-wing christians.
They have just passed laws in the Netherlands in regards to squatters, multiple years in jail(for Dutch) and im sure deportation for foreigners. Though having a 'developed world' passport does have its advantages. Been threatened in Ireland AND Iceland with it, but they were pretty laid back folks. and just let me leave on my own.
As for staying longer than the 90-day tourist visa allows, when crossing countries inside the Schengen state, dont expect to get new stamps. Only if you make it to Great Britain, Russia, Turkey, Morocco will you be in a different tourist state. Though many times i was stopped on the streets and autobahns by the 'local' authorities, and they only verified my photo matched the passport. Not bothering to look at the last entry stamp. Maybe i was lucky. ive heard stories ov people getting that "free flight" home. Hope this helps. If you have any questions, let me know.
r3353

RubyGemstone

Reaction score
im going to europe in late july-august for a few weeks and was wondering if it would be possible to land in switzerland and hitchhike/ride trains around europe AND be able to go through germany dennmark netherlands and belgium. only to make my way back to switzerland within 3 weeks. i will save up money for some food and train tickets so i dont think $$ will be a problem...
i would just like to make sure that this gives me enough time to travel around a little, any thoughts about this?

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
Hitching in England (Great Britain + Scotland) isn't as easy as in the rest of the Europe, somehow people are afraid of hitchhikers and feel insecure, your best bet would be asking people for a ride in Petrol stations.

What I found in Scotland is if you sit on your pack at an on-ramp you could be there for days, but if you show some independence and just start walking into the countryside sticking your thumb out from time to time you'll get plenty of rides even if its an hour between cars. (You've got to be ready to sleep rough if it doesn't work out though.)

In the highlands the folks will sometimes go way out of their way for you. It's the only place I ever got a lift from a bicycle! The guy rode on a couple hundred yards past me, leaned his bike against the fence and started walking. Then I rode it up a couple of hundred yards past him, left the bike and started walking. We leap-frogged like this for 4 or 5 miles till the next village. I also got a lift from a motorcycle, an army lorry, a chicken truck, a mail coach.... I made it all the way around the highlands and outer Hebrides like that. The Scots have a strong sense of hospitality, but you gotta show you're willing to work for it.

Reactions: Mankini

Komjaunimas

Reaction score
If anyone wants to meet up im in Amsterdam till end of July, my phone number +37064872918 (text only), since i don't like to sit in the library

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads