England/EU Freight Background

I

IBRRHOBO

I didn't see it posted elsewhere and folks periodically inquire about overseas travel, so I decided to post this.

As I was researching stuff for some IBRR riders in Wales, I ran across this site. It gives some fairly decent links and good background data for England and the EU connectors.

Network Rail - Freight Services

:crew:

E

ent_ink

I do not claim to be an expert but I have taken trains a fair bit and grew up around one of the larger rain intersections in my part of the country. From what I have seen of freight in Britain - None of it is rideable. Not without endangering yourself or making you so easy to see that it becomes almost pointless.

For the most part they seem to be essentially flatbed cars with shipping containers laid on them or coal/grain bunker cars. Roughly trapezoidal in shape with he long end as the floor they have a door at each end padlocked closed. Some do have open roofs but that means getting up high near overhead lines or in sight of the BTP (British Transport Police) in the UK there is an entire sub division of the police force who do what is essentially Bull work.

Flat Bed Style

Coal Bunker Style

Some further researched turned up this variety:

Finally!

That one I guess you could ride, but I don't really have the practical knowledge to assess these things.

wartomods

Reaction score
there are still some ridable cars outhere, the most concerning trains in europe are the electric powered, they get on the going so fast that you either are already on or it is almost impossible to catch while they are accelarating, electric trains have mad fast accelaration.

I

IBRRHOBO

Yeah, I've never been to England/EU other than in the military. I just thought that since there wasn't any info yet, this could be the beginnings of stuff to build upon. Hell, I just figured freight was freight short of the gauge of the trax and power (electrical, diesel, etc.).

This is good, though, as we're getting some dialogue going and others across the pond and here can begin to chronicle what's viable and what's not.

Also, I found it interesting that you can dig up the bio data on these folks over there that head up shit. Perhaps a bit of social engineering can pan out?

Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've posted about train hopping in the UK before here at STP.

I lived in England for over 20 years (came back the USA 2 years ago)
and there IS NO TRAIN HOPPING
subculture in Britain. It does NOT exist.

The travelling/mobile homeless culture in Britain,
mostly squats (because it is LEGAL) or lives in vehicles, on boats etc.
Major laws were put in place by Margaret Thatcher & Toni Blair to
make alternative living on the road illegal.
So alot of travellers have left the UK and gone to France & Spain.

Also
The trains there are super fast, often electric and very dangerous.
The weather is appalling too.

The only time you EVER hear about people hopping trains is
very rarely 'illegals' hiding in compartments UNDER the body
or under the undercarriage
of the cross channel train that goes to and from Southern England to France.
The people who do this are desperate and WILLING to die.

So don't even think about catchin out in the UK.

Any questions. email me.

Linda/Ziggy
drum-core@live.com

Reactions: Stinkyyy

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads