'Ello

CrotchInfection

Reaction score
Hello all, figured I would introduce myself and let people know my deal.

I'm 25, never traveled yet but always wanted to. I have many friends who do, and who want me to come with them everytime they pass through NY, but I am a college student (Who didn't realize that college is BS until it was too late to just leave). I'm graduating with a B.S. in biochemistry this year, but as the years of school went by and I got involved in industry research and chemistry jobs, I realized that I hate everything that has to do with being a scientist (Or a working person in general). I've managed to find jobs in industry even with my hand and neck tattoos, but I just don't feel right... I feel like something very major is missing from my life.

.....SO as soon as I get this degree I'm going to hit the road. I would drop out now, but I didn't put myself 40,000 dollars in debt for nothing (I should at least get the stupid piece of paper).

Anyone have experience like this, or know anyone else who does? Any suggestions/comments for me? Thanks.

Reactions: Algerninny

infekt

Reaction score
I do. I graduated with a degree in computer science. Almost immediately thereafter realized that that life was simply not going to make me happy.

I found this place, asked advice from a lot of people, got a lot of bad advice telling me to drop everything and hit the road. Ignore my loans. I didnt need credit anyway, afterall. I really wanted to. I really did. But I decided that one day down the line, I will want to settle down, and that when that happens, I'm not going to want existing debt AND horrible credit.

So I spent a few months fucking around. Did some hitchhiking. Lived in the woods for a bit. Spent some time sleeping on the roof of an abandoned theater.

Then I got a job. I now work at a massive international corporation. It sucks, but its bearable. The pay is nice. In a few years, I'll be debt free. A year later I'll have 10k in the bank, 4 years of valuable job experience, and a masters degree, paid for by my company, and a ton of dental work done while I have insurance.

And then I'll leave. I figure I can survive on 10k for awhile. When I run out of money, I'll go back to work for another year, then take off again. Added bonus of keeping my experience current.

Its not ideal, but I have to make do.

CrotchInfection

Reaction score
Thank you for the input! I'm glad that I didn't just get a group of people telling me to hit the road. The only reason I never left was because of the stupid-ass loans... If only I never went to school in the first place.

So to be honest, here is my real plan at the moment. I graduate this coming May. I made a lot of cash this summer working at Pepsico in the forensics department, so I used a chunk of it to buy and stock a pack, and get some good boots for traveling. When I graduate, I'm going to travel around for several months (At the very least), just so I could get the dream out of my head.... then I'm going to get a job and pay my loans off. Once they are paid, I plan to sell all my material BS that I no longer will need, then hit the road for a long run.

I just need to experience the freedom, and live out my personal dream. I need to do it before the dream kills me. This society is so ass-backwards.... if I don't get out while I still can, I know I will lose my mind.

Reactions: ayyyjayyy

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
You sound really cool and rational. Smart dude obviously. As bullshitty as real world life is, I'll give it to you for trying. I personally haven't been able to stick with any one thing because I change my mind constantly about what I want to do in life (I want to do it all haha), perpetually dropping out of school because I change my mind about what I want to do (there has/have been a family issue or two). All in all though its been me. When I hear about young people like me (tattooed alternative-ish people) pursuing professional careers I'm always like- hell yeah. My best friend is actually about to start grad school and she's sleeves out and shit. But anyway. That's cool you're planning it out and being smart about everything. You've come a long way and worked hard to get through as much school as you have. No reason to move backwards at this point. Anyway I'm rambling. Good luck with everything. :)

Reactions: CrotchInfection

CrotchInfection

Reaction score
You sound really cool and rational. Smart dude obviously. As bullshitty as real world life is, I'll give it to you for trying. I personally haven't been able to stick with any one thing because I change my mind constantly about what I want to do in life (I want to do it all haha), perpetually dropping out of school because I change my mind about what I want to do (there has/have been a family issue or two). All in all though its been me. When I hear about young people like me (tattooed alternative-ish people) pursuing professional careers I'm always like- hell yeah. My best friend is actually about to start grad school and she's sleeves out and shit. But anyway. That's cool you're planning it out and being smart about everything. You've come a long way and worked hard to get through as much school as you have. No reason to move backwards at this point. Anyway I'm rambling. Good luck with everything. :)

.. Thank you :)

infekt

Reaction score
No problem man. I hope you found my story helpful. I think ultimately, you're better off completing school and paying off your loans. Even though it sucks now, one day you're going to be glad you did.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
^^Yeah, this. Helps for later on. Sucks for now though - I emphasize (looks over at weekly bills that include the stupid 3rd school loan that I should not have taken out - stooopid me)

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
Don't make the mistake I did and get caught up in too many obligations and fall into a sort of trap. Time can get away from you pretty fast when you're in autopilot waiting around for this or that to be completed.

Reactions: ElectroGypsy

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads