Dogs/pets health on the road

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Best animal health tip I know is pumpkin seeds for intestinal worms.

Just grind up some raw pumpkin seeds (available and cheap at health food stores in the bulk section), mix 50/50 or so with some food they like (wet food, peanut butter, etc.) and feed them ONLY THAT for 48 hours or so. The pumpkin seeds paralyze the worms and they get shat right out. Be ready for them coming out, though - it's a hell of a sight.

Works for people, too.

I hadn't heard of that before but I'm definitely gonna remember that and give it a try sometime.

KEVIlgeNius

Reaction score
It definetly all starts with the diet. Make sure your walking dog has a high protein diet with little or no "broken grains". whole rice is fine, preferably brown, but things like corn meal and ground barley are not good for dogs. Sure they did eat grain eaters, but only 10% of energy is transfered from the grains the deer ate to the wolf that ate the deer.
If you're using worm medication make sure it also protects against tapeworms, there are two kinds in the pet trade ones that do and ones that don't. Keep a bottle of fish oil and throw some on their food once a day, this helps to create the kind of enzymes that directly benefit skin and fur.
Dogs do live in a "pack oriented" mindset, whether it be with humans or dogs. So the healthiest thing you can do for your dog is obedience train. tricks like roll-over and high five are fun but hold no value when your dog charges at a stranger. If i would recommend one book on dogs it's "How to be your Dog's Best Friend" by the monks of New Skete. They have been training german sheperds for hundred of years. It contains great insite on how your dog views you. We often personify dogs and as if they think , though limited in grammar, similar thoughts to humans like "Do you have food for me mom?" when really its more like "food?food? outside? run?" so learn to recognize you dogs metal status. remember that if you died in the woods your dog would just walk off into the trees in search of a new pack, be it with other wild dogs or humans.
When it comes down to it, your dog looks to you for everything. And most of the time you can tell what someone's homelife is like just by hanging out with their dog. My favourtie one is the "Child-Protector". When a dog becomes over protective of children. This usually stems from that "pack" mentality, there are certain jobs in the house and they all need doing. If a dog senses that you are not doing your job as a parent, or a poor job at it, they will take over the responsibility. As long as your dog knows you have control over ever situation, and respects you for it, you should have a happy life together.

oh, and if your hitching with your dog, try to minimize the "head out the window" time. exposure to high velocity winds can cause ear and eye problems in dog.

HillBilly

Reaction score
I take my dog every where, hitch hiking on the train, every where. I feed him dry kibble, garlic, eggs and when I can I give him raw organs [ mostly beef livers and kidneys and ocasional steak :) ] and those big ass soup bones with the marrow in the middle. I also give him a FUCK LOAD of water. He seems super healthy and happy. He is quick to respond, full of energy, his fur is super shiny, nose wet, his eyes are clean and his poop is always solid.

Poking Victim

Reaction score
I guess the only thing I can't do for my dog is protect his hearing. I don't feel guilty about taking him on trains, though. I didn't capture him out of the wild or anything. I can't rate a dog's quality of life, but I'm sure he likes riding trains better than sitting in an apartment all day waiting to get beat. If he reacted to brakes like he reacts to the engines, I'd keep him off trains. He hasn't expressed any heightened level of discomfort when brakes are applied.

pigeon

Reaction score
cotton balls in your dogs ears would probably help. i bathed dogs at a kennel and they hate the sound of the force dryer. stick a cotton ball in each ear and they hardly notice the noise. i'm sure it would at least help with them on a train. just remember to take them out and don't reuse them. dogs can be super prone to ear infections.

freddyfreight

Reaction score
so i talked to a vet about the tobacco thing for gettin rid of worms and I guess it doesn't kill them it just paralyzes them so it's not a sure fire way.

oh and my little travel buddy got into some gorilla glue and got it all over her ass and she's got short pit hair so i can't just shave it off. any ideas on how to clean her up cuz this shit is tough?

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
my dog seems very healthy and happy
loves people, very respectful, playful, and seems to really enjoy my company...
the only thing that ive noticed recently is that he seems to be developing some
odd habits.
for instance, hell scratch his face with his front paws from time to time, which makes them all red and watery
so then i have to wipe his face and it seems to make it feel better...
he licks EVERYTHING
and he tries to chew on his little thumb thingy on his leg...
i was thinking maybe he might have ocd (its possible)
or hes teething... so hes just doin weird stuff with his mouth.
but i digress...
all i can say, is that you develope relationships with lots of things...
the oldest inter-species freindship being between a human and dog
by now it HAS to be natural in some way.
take care of your dog like you would yourself...
keep him clean, active, fed, watered, and very happy.
dogs need positive attention, often... so if you cant love the animal, dont bother having it.
just taking care of somethings physical well being isnt quite enough...
try to train your dog well before going on the road with him...
i stayed still for a while before taking my dog on the road so he could get used to me
our basic schedule, and how we do shit... also making sure hes warm and bathed and able to be trained properly...
a well trained dog is a happy dog, cause people who meet him/her will enjoy their company, rather than being mean
and treating them like scum...
(and i know im gonna hear "oh way to go tellin something what to do ... your a crappy fascist who needs control..." ect,
go ahead cause ive heard it all)
thats my talking... woot!
*end*

coldsteelrail

Reaction score
My dog chews on her claws when she's bored, especially the dew claws. I just tell her to cut it out, and she'll usually knock it off. If yer dog is scratching it's face, it's probably itchy or irritated.
Also, i think covering a dog's ears on a noisy hwy or while riding is a really good idea. However, sticking anything into a dog's ears is a not a very good idea, still it is potentially better than nothing. When you're riding trains your hands get covered in grease from the second you touch that ladder. After a day of wearing ear plugs my ears get really sore. It feels like they have tiny little cuts in them, which they probably do. I use ear muffs from a hardware store to cover my dog's ears when i need to. She hates them, and i constantly have to readjust them, but she will leave them on if it's really loud.

Amish

Reaction score
oh and my little travel buddy got into some gorilla glue and got it all over her ass and she's got short pit hair so i can't just shave it off. any ideas on how to clean her up cuz this shit is tough?
To remove Gorilla Super Glue from your skin, soak the bonded area in warm soapy water or acetone (finger nail polish remover works well). The key is to be patient and NEVER pull the area apart.

Gently wiggle the area to allow the soapy water or acetone to penetrate the bond. After soaking, the adhesive should come off easily. Keep in mind acetone can strip your skin of oils, so apply moisturizer after removal.

To remove Gorilla Super Glue from the surface of your project, soak bonded area with warm soapy water or acetone. Keep in mind, acetone can mar the surface material or discolor fabric.also acetone is probably not good for dogs skin so if you chose to do it this way then you need to be really really careful

i think one of the best things to do about keeping your dog healthy is be informed... knowing the things to watch out for, the effects of certain ppl foods(bread,chocolate,grapes,ect) what kinda of ppl food will be good for your dog(eggs,rice,lamb,ect)
all the knowledge that a vet knows is free to access at any public library or hell most vets will answer our questions even feed and tack stores are good places to seek that kind of knowledge
as for training your dog its true a trained dog is a happy dog , a dog needs a purpose in life whether its carrying gear, protecting you, anyhting that will keep your dogs attention active really,these kind of things will help you be able to control your dog when you need to most and hell if you got your dog trained well enough you can even pull off the whole service dog thing and be able to bring them where ever you need to go

izzybop

Reaction score
Dogs have sweat glands on the bottoms of their feet. when your dog is overheating your best bet is to keep the bottoms of their feet wet and cool. keep your dog on grass and in the shade as much as possible.

D

dahllia

my road dog has a dog thats allergic to wweat and corn and everyones always asking himj if they can give his dog treats and he just says no and tells them hes got allergies, dont let anyone feed your dog if its a serious condition. if its really hot you can put water on their furr it cools them down and besides for that, traveling life is the best for a dog they get to run around w you and travel all day explore new things and arent trapped in a backyard bored as shit all day

Shakou

Reaction score
I travel with both a dog and a cat (both in my avatar), and the best advice I can give you is to make sure they are on a damn good diet. I figure if I'm going to subject my animals to traveling and homelessness, I better make sure they are as healthy physically and emotionally as possible. I feed both my guys Blue Buffalo, and it's done them wonders for the way we live. My cat has become a master at dodging dogs, coyotes, and other animals that try to fuck with him, and my dog has the ability to win an agility competition. Neither one of them have EVER been sick. Aside from that, they are both on Frontline during the year with the exception of winter, as illness and disease can spawn from fleas, ticks, and mosquitos. In addition, it's just a matter of training them to listen to you, and to be aware of your surroundings and possible things that could harm them.

caliEden

Reaction score
eh, my dog is my best friend. and the only time she's on a leash is when we're by a road. but i do agree with what you said. thats how it "should" be, but humans have already corrupted their environment and watching their back is the least we can do. afterall, they are born domestic these days and dont have natural insticts of steering clear of a dumb ass driving on a sidewalk.

I couldn't agree with you more. My dog is my son, and he really couldn't survive out there in some kind of wild environment, nonetheless our domesticated world that we live in. He's a fucking mamma's boy and I can't see him being happy without me.

D

Deleted member 125

I couldn't agree with you more. My dog is my son, and he really couldn't survive out there in some kind of wild environment, nonetheless our domesticated world that we live in. He's a fucking mamma's boy and I can't see him being happy without me.

no your dog could be happy without you. you as a human just think he cant

Skitty

Reaction score
I think the simplest step to starting your dog on the road to good health is spaying/neuturing, it has long term health benefits if done before the first heat cycle. The other most preventable illness I seen working at a vet clinic was (sp?) pancreantitus around holiday times from all the left over, and a major killer is heart worm, there is a cure but it cost major $$$$$.

GutterGrayse

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Sure thing.
If you have doggy backpacks, make sure the majority of the weight is on their shoulders, it'll really kill their back in the long run if you don't have it sitting just right.
Also, don't let people feed your dog any bread products, you mentioned pastries and that's just all the worse.
You don't have to worry about most dog foods for the lactose bit, almost none contain any bit of cow's milk.
Also, just rely on what your dog is telling you. They'll let you know if they're uncomfortable or hungry or tired.
:) Good luck.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads