do you vote?

Dmac

Reaction score
vote, it is our right to have our say in out leadership. if you don't vote i don't wan't to hear you bitchin' about how our leaders are doing or new laws and the like. if you dont think enough of yourself and your view of things to vote on them, don't come bitchin' to me.

little_owl

Reaction score
^ That is such a silly view to have. So I should vote even if the people do not represent my views at all? Yes it's really neat how a small number of people in this country have the money/charisma/overbloated corrupt major parties supporting them and enabling them to reach such status/positions of power and I should still support and reinforce their power? I seriously doubt that. And it is possible to only support things that you agree with and to not vote for people that you do not agree with.

And the idea that you are not allowed to complain about this form of government or politicians unless you voted for only the one person or the other which is how it usually is, is ridiculous. Never mind that these people/form of government that I do not support have been pushed on us only because of the power they have attained and that everyone should still be expected to just go along with it and continue to reinforce their power. I'd rather not.

And to distort someone's views just because you don't agree with them as though they just don't think much of themselves or their vote is very narrow-minded. And not supporting people that you do not agree with is a form of voting in that you have no interest in supporting them.

FinnFiasco

Reaction score
I agree with Little Owl, voting in anything other than local matters ( and by matters I mean things like laws and ordinances, not representatives.) is a waste of time, and I'd rather spend that time and energy working on issues in my own community than go and voice my irrelevant opinion on which person/image i'd prefer to be dictating my life to me.

anne

Reaction score
Website
mobilecondo.blogspot.com
I never thought I'd say this, but I don't plan to vote ever again. On my 18th birthday, the first thing I did was register because I thought it mattered. I can't even begin to tell you guys how disappointed I am now that I understand how all of this works.

M

Mouse

I just had to reg to vote in a new area cuz i moved yet again. don't really know the politics of this place yet but I hope to find out when voting will be taking place and for what.. gotta find out how to find that out lol

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
anyone know the best way to find out the political happenings in your area?

A good place to start is walk in to the library and tell the librarian you're looking for an independent weekly newspaper that watchdogs the local issues. Read some back issues, especially the letters to the editor, and you'll start to get a basic idea of what's going down and who's trying to change things.

little_owl

Reaction score
anyone know the best way to find out the political happenings in your area?

In my area it's a little difficult to find out about things. There are a couple very conservative newspapers who are definitely shitty gate keepers when it comes to information and a very narrow view of opinions expressed but I live in a small town kind of area. But even with this area, it's easy to find out about stuff with organizations, even if they are national organizations who are dealing with environmental issues, and things related to this area like mountaintop removal. Also, if you can find any bloggers in your area. Maybe the I.W.W. branch in your area if there is one to know about stuff going on with workers rights and unionizing. Or even shitty political parties in which you are not interested in getting involved with like the Green Party but they bring up issues perhaps that are going on in your area. If you live in a big city it's so much easier to find out about things though.

MoetThePoet

Reaction score
"are you one of those people that bitch about the government but don't do anything to fix it."

I guess you're one of those people that when they get sick they don't try getting rid of the disease, but just make it bearable to live with?

The reason why I "bitch" about the government is because the government threatens, kidnaps, tortures and kills people. The reason why I don't vote is because I know voting is just an excuse that some people have for not doing anything else during the 4 years a candidate pretends to run a country. Because voting is compromising with the people who rule you. The reason I don't vote is because I have better things to do than going around reading campaign programs, wasting my time watching corporate/state news, because my time is better spent organizing with my community, writing articles, going to meetings and doing actual proyects that have concrete outcomes, unlike voting.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
mostly i'm just trying to find out WHEN the voting happens. I have no clue what kinda schedule they run on

You can always call the county auditor's office. They certify all elections so they'll have all that info. Or you can ask the librarian. They usually love questions like that.

bastardmaker

Reaction score
I have never voted for a person to "represent" me.
I have voted for ballot issues

Wolf

Reaction score
Voting is a complete joke, it's an excuse to stay away from any dangerous situation (which unfortunately is the only effect means of notable change). Women aren't just house slaves because some one checked a god damn box, people of color aren't sitting around with friends instead of having their asses pounded by some dumbass hick by the same means either. We should be real about the world, if you do nothing, nothing will happen, and marking a box instead of having a real voice, a real fist, and real power, is doing nothing. Any changes that will be made by voting should be viewed as short term, and full of regulations, and not as any real liberation.

I understand we want to be able to live our lives without all the bullshit that happens by any sort of direct actions, but if you want change, you want liberation, you want happiness, you have to fight for it, the big men won't do it for you, why the hell would they do that, if they did that voting wouldn't be an option. But voting does keep the crowds slimmer, doesn't it?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads