DIY thread. | Squat the Planet

DIY thread.

P

punkkus

I apologize if this is not the best spot for this topic, but I've seen a similar DIY thread and thought one would be useful here for making things to sell, barter with, and whatnot. Here's a place to post pics of things you made, ask questions, give tips, discuss DIY, etc.

IM000362Bc.png
IM000160S.png

I made the skeleton stencil using different images all collaged together and then spraypainted it onto heavy canvas to use as a back patch. I've heard that laminating your picture before cutting it into a stencil makes it easier and more durable if you got the time & resources.

The stormtrooper is NOT mine, but I wanted to show it as an example of a two-toned stencil. Stencilpunks is another good site for DIY style stencils.

IM000943a.png
IM000940a.png

hack.gif

You can dumpster old metal hangers and use them to make chainmail jewlery and armor. I've made some different bracelets & a chainmail bumflap already. You can even make a chainmail hacky! (3rd pic shown for example only, not mine.)

How to make Chainmail:
Just coil the hanger wire around a straight rod or stick, then cut a straight line down the middle of the newly wrapped coil with pliers or bolt cutters(preferably). This will leave you with rings to make into patterns.

How to make a soft DIY hacky sack:
1. Put some popcorn kernals or sand into a dumpstered ballon or pantyhose and tie it off.
2. Then put that into an old sock and cut off the end of the sock containing the contents from part 1, then sew it up & you're ready to go.

Post edited by: punkkus, at: 2006/09/13 05:47

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
awesome post, i created a new category for this kinda thing and moved your post there :)

S

stinkpickle

here it goes.. A BEANIE FANNY PACK! i've never sold one, but i've only made one personal one that has actually had offers. it's very simple to make and a`gnarly handy companion on the road and all the time, it holds my books, my cards, an inhaler, some bugler, some zig zags, sometimes a piece, thread, needles, nail clippers, knives and much more!

Materials(all fairly easy to shoplift;) )
1 beanie.. i guess cotton. it's a beanie so it's made to stretch.

1 zipper about eight inches long lengths vary depending on size of beanie

1 well fuck some sor of strap, a belt, a buckle be creative mine is made of that stuff you pull to tighten and size up your backpack
cool optional accesoriesB)

i used to have this homeless man bag i used back when i was younger it was a small strapless leather purse.. but anyways there was a tiny little hidden zipper pocket in it, so i cut it out and sewed it on the front for needles and threads eyedrops etc.

Clips.. good for holding things:)

SEW IT ALL TOGETHER!!!!
and it's vegan friendly;)

Post edited by: veganator, at: 2007/01/17 13:40

Post edited by: veganator, at: 2007/01/17 13:45

D

danvan

DIY darts
diy_dart.jpg

you can kinda see how they are made

4 matches with the heads cut off
1 needle
tape
card like from cereal box or sumthing

and i like to put a drop or so of super glue in the bit where the needle is so it doesnt pull out when you pull the dart outta what it was in

they stick in heaps of stuff
like plaster board wall (dry wall is that what you call it in the us or is that different?)
or foam or whatever

Post edited by: danvan, at: 2007/01/18 17:41

G

Gutters

<Spange>

Get a medium size pocket and sew some clasps on the top of the pocket and sew a zipper at the top and sew some material on the front of it to provide more pockets...

<Sleeping>

Go to any shopping cart and cut the kiddie belts off them viola straps

<Sewing>

Take a back patch and sew a shirt on to it making sure it has a divider in it (you will have to fold the shirt in half) sew it all around putting a zipper on the top. It's perfect for holding your needles, pliers, thread (floss) and patches... or anything else.

S

spaz1972

i love DIY, ive made a man purse and my own jacket complete with studs that i stole from belts. and its 100% leather free and kool.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads