Difficulty sleeping outside | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Difficulty sleeping outside

G

Grubblin

All of these comments are great advice and I can't add much. GET EXHAUSTED! If you don't walk enough during the day to be exhausted, do some kind of exercise or yoga before you go to bed. Don't worry if you can't sleep now, when you get out on the road for good you'll learn to sleep outside. That's bc when you haven't slept but a couple of hours a night, for four or five nights in a row, just the simple act of breathing in and out will exhaust you. If you're worried about insomnia causing bad decisions then know that you're making decisions out of a mindset that you aren't normally in and only make extremely safe decisions. Decisions without much risk.

This is an extremely timely subject for me as I've just realized that I can't sleep inside any longer. I kind of feared that might happen but now that it's actually happened it's no big deal. I had the chance to sleep in an extra plush bed the other night and I tossed and turned until I ended up sleeping on the floor. That worked until about 3 in the morning when I got up, apologized to the host and drove my happy ass out of town to the nearest BLM land - slept like a baby!

Don't worry about it. Sleep will come, just be safe until it does.

• Useful
Reactions: syrinyx

beginnavagabond

Reaction score
It's going to be uncomfortable at first until you get used to it. Being a light sleeper I tend to wake up a lot throughout the night where I hear something that arouses my attention. And sleeping in a city is even worse--- it seems I wake up at least every half hour or so and never get a decent night's sleep. But It's all part of the game.

Like someone else said, alchohol will help some. But I think when you start really traveling and you're walking all day with a heavy backpack, you will sleep easier at night because you will be more exhausted.
I finally was able to go sleep for a couple of hours, but I was woken up by a bird's mating call at one (It's 8 in the morning and it's still going on)
I guess I was exhausted enough because I did a lot of running and I was comfortable enough in my tent. I guess I should buy earplugs now. Thank you!

Reactions: N0MAD

Heath Bar

Reaction score
4325 Maryland St, San Diego, CA 92103, USA
I've been trying to sleep outside the past few nights to prepare for stealth camping before I go out on my own and I have been having a hard time actually getting to sleep. I think it's my physical comfort level, mostly. I have used a tent with a pillow and some small things to rest my feet on so it's not rough. I've gotten somewhat comfortable but I'm never able to actually fall asleep. I have gotten a sleeping pad which I have heard will make it a lot better on me and I hope that will allow me to sleep outside. Did you have this problem when you first started out? How did you get to sleep? Thank you!
This may sound a little fruity but if you can make or buy an eyemask it helps a ton at night. My friend made me one with her sewing machine and its great at night. like im in a hotel haha

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I finally was able to go sleep for a couple of hours, but I was woken up by a bird's mating call at one (It's 8 in the morning and it's still going on)
I guess I was exhausted enough because I did a lot of running and I was comfortable enough in my tent. I guess I should buy earplugs now. Thank you!

Earplugs are good for keeping out noise...but i don't like to use them if i'm anywhere near a city and there is no dog in the camp. What happens when some tweaker or other ne'er-do-well comes into your camp in the middle of the night looking to steal something or worse, and you can't hear them approach?

beginnavagabond

Reaction score
Earplugs are good for keeping out noise...but i don't like to use them if i'm anywhere near a city and there is no dog in the camp. What happens when some tweaker or other ne'er-do-well comes into your camp in the middle of the night looking to steal something or worse, and you can't hear them approach?
Yeah definitely, they would be emergency ear plugs (I once camped right next to a huge lake with a ton of animals making noise all night. That was one of the times I would have used them) but in general I can sleep outside without them

syrinyx

Reaction score
I have chronic insomnia which I alternate on and off meds for. When it's not a med day, I use good ol' melatonin. You can get it everywhere and it works like a charm. If one 5mg tablet isn't enough, two oughta do it. I know it isn't a convenient option at all times, but it definitely will serve you better than drinking to get to sleep. (.....which I still have a bad habit of doing anyway)

Edit: it also gives some people super weird dreams. Used to for me but not so much lately.

D

Deleted member 2626

Slept last night and to nite on a piece of plywood next to a busier road near mount hood. It isn't ideal but there's worse. Always remember that it could be a lot worse more than likely. If you have in you to do this all the time and get closer to the earth and live amongst your environment not hide from it you will adjust. I'd prefer my tent but I have permission to stay at this tomb of a house and I'm still outside but under an open porch roof and dry. Could be soaked and hypothermic. You'll will grow from the ground

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Seriously dude get a sleeping pad. You can have as warm a bag as you will, but it won't do a thing compressed under you. Cold will come straight through from the ground. If you aren't in the cold yet, you will be eventually.

Inflatable pads are for camping trips, when you rarely need to throw it down over thistles rocks or glass, and if it pops whatever, repair it at home. Get a solid foam mat. If you can put down $30, get a Ridgerest pad. If you can't, you can get cheaper heavier things or probably improvise it for free. The ridgerest is bulky, but nearly weightless and will last until you lose it or accidently set it on fire.

If you have the right sort of straps on your pack, you can attach the rolled up pad in a way that props up your pack, and turns it into a solid backrest when you sit down, which is pretty damn nice.

As others have said, worst thing to skimp on is your camp stuff. It'll be your home. On a camping trip you can rough it then go back to a house have a shower sleep in a bed. If you're living out of your pack, really do your best to have some comfort, since it's all you'll have.

lone wolf

Reaction score
i don't move much so whenever i do it always takes me a few nights to get comfortable and a few weeks to really relax.

people that move often will get comfortable much faster. it's mostly a mental thing... but as others have said a pad can make a big difference.

daveycrockett

Reaction score
Been sleeping outside since about 13 14 when I was young it was mostly nyc streets even in winter if you're out in the country who the fuck cares. Once you get out there you'll get used to it. Im 40 now.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads