Cheap but good quality sleeping bag? | Squat the Planet

Cheap but good quality sleeping bag?

adventurekid

Reaction score
So I am trying to get a better sleeping bag then the one I currently have. The one I have is just one from target, it's not meant for much more than sleeping in like a cabin or something. The funds are low so does anyone know a good sleeping bag I can get that isn't going to break the bank? Thanks!

D

Deleted member 20

I absolutely hate walmart but was recently without a bag a few weeks ago. $8.44 got me a summer -50° bag. Not exactly climbing Everest with this but for less than nine bucks? Happy to have added this cheap summer bag to my gear collection.

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always been a huge fan of Snugpak for high quality budget sleeping bags. The Travelpak 2 which is pretty small and light, and is good down to ~27-32F, is $39 shipped on amazon. The Travelpak 4 goes down to ~14-19F, for $53 shipped on amazon.

Paired with a USGI goretex bivy ($50ish on ebay), I've used these below their "extreme low" rating, but I handle low temps pretty well, and women run colder than men, so YMMV. Plus then you have a windproof/waterproof shell. Unless your pack is gigantic, you can probably stuff it in the bottom of the bivy and keep everything dry.

Might be more than you want to / are able to spend, but if you can afford it I think it's a pretty great combination.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
I absolutely hate walmart but was recently without a bag a few weeks ago. $8.44 got me a summer -50° bag. Not exactly climbing Everest with this but for less than nine bucks? Happy to have added this cheap summer bag to my gear collection.

Dam!!! I'd do that!!

The Hiker

Reaction score
Whatever your sleep system is, you can make it WAY warmer by stuffing it full of natural (or manmade) insulation, like leaves, dead pine needles, or anything that would make good fire tinder. An old hobo that I read about said something like "I've only got a a piece of crap cheepo sleeping bag, but I fill it with leaves and moss, so I'm OK down to -10 degrees"

N

Notmyname

If you're really in a tight money spot, it's definitely possible to use two cheap ass Walmart bags. Stupidly bulky but cheap as hell.

Also cardboard makes a great bed and will keep you a lot warmer even with a shitty bag. It's free and plentiful assuming you're not too far from civilization.

thegrapsman

Reaction score
Reactions: adventurekid
N

Notmyname

Be careful with emergency blankets though. They don't breathe, so if it's too close to the body you'll sweat. Happened to me in Indiana in January. Kinda scary to wake up soaked in sweat in winter.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

thegrapsman

Reaction score
Be careful with emergency blankets though. They don't breathe, so if it's too close to the body you'll sweat. Happened to me in Indiana in January. Kinda scary to wake up soaked in sweat in winter.

That's very true, forgot about that. I have a mummy sleeping bag that I have woken up a bit sweaty with as well, those are probably the best for keeping cold out but freaky waking up to sweaty feet and it's cold af outside..

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Depends on what you mean y "cheap". You can get a 0 degree Mountainsmith synthetic for around 100$. That's one of the best bags I've ever owned.

Other than that. The USMC modular sleeping system for about 60$.

I would never go cheaper than that. But the again, I travel in the North....in winter.

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
Check Geartrade. I found a lot of my equipment on there. I'd go with a 20 degree bag. Synthetic bag as down doesn't handle water too well. I have a kelty cosmic down 20 degree that I like but the next bag is going to be an Enlightened Equipment quilt. way lighter and packs down small.

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
another nice travelling option is a SOL Bivy. If you don't know where you'll be sleeping- a light tarp, bag and a bivy works well.

adventurekid

Reaction score
I've always been a huge fan of Snugpak for high quality budget sleeping bags. The Travelpak 2 which is pretty small and light, and is good down to ~27-32F, is $39 shipped on amazon. The Travelpak 4 goes down to ~14-19F, for $53 shipped on amazon.

Paired with a USGI goretex bivy ($50ish on ebay), I've used these below their "extreme low" rating, but I handle low temps pretty well, and women run colder than men, so YMMV. Plus then you have a windproof/waterproof shell. Unless your pack is gigantic, you can probably stuff it in the bottom of the bivy and keep everything dry.

Might be more than you want to / are able to spend, but if you can afford it I think it's a pretty great combination.
I really like this idea, and it's not too bad I feel like by my next pay check I could afford it. I don't remember if I replied to you yet, but thank you

Whereamiwhatdoido

Reaction score
Had my 3 season bag for 7 years, it's a ruffled 4 lbs but as an inexperienced traveler it was gold worth to be able to sleep out under the stars, even in amble rain and even some smowfalls. But I'm not sure if that thing is available over in the US. I'ts called Carinthia Defense 4, and is used by most european troops going to the east where night and day temperatures are far apart.

Else than that my two cents is that you'll get a warmer bag than you expect you'll need. The USMC 4 system sounds like a good solution as you're set for most weather situations.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads