Photos - Cameras on the Road? [warning photography nerd] | Squat the Planet

Photos Cameras on the Road? [warning photography nerd]

tobepxt

Reaction score
Website
wastedlandz.tumblr.com
As someone who shoots professionally when not on the road I always have a hard time choosing what camera I'm going to travel with. I'm wondering what you guys feel about what gear to bring along?

WARNING! Camera nerd talk below this point:

I have three options.
1: My dslr(canon 60D) with a cheap 18-55mm kit lens (lower image quality/ shit in lowlight/ great video mode/ not as heavy/bulky)
2: My dslr with a 17-55mm f2.8 (nicer/ excellent image quality/ a bit heavier/ bulky/ great video mode/ )
3: a fuji x100 (decent quality images/ very light/ takes up less space/ looks cooler,lol/ kind of a pain to use compared to how smoothly the dslr functions/ worse battery life/ no video mode, but i can still shoot video using my ipod)

Last time I took my DSLR with a cheap kit lens and even know that made it lighter I still found myself not feeling like pulling it out as often as i would have liked to document my travels. I got the x100 to make that less of an issue, but i think the worse battery life and slightly more clunky function might offset that.... like.. seems pretty even to me.. as of right now im leaning toward the dslr with the nicer lens, but when i do hit the road it will probably depend on weight. whatever i choose im sure i'll feel "buyers" remorse 15 miles out of town....

ALSO: I'm sure some of you think I'm stupid for talking about taking a real camera wandering, But as a photographer its what I do. Just like when musicians take their prized instruments with them. I'm not worried about what the weather will do to my gear.. and I know how to keep my stuff close to me.

tobepxt

Reaction score
Website
wastedlandz.tumblr.com
Also I know this section is for sharing images so.......... heres a recent photo from some random rooftop I recently found access to.
1426603_698083330204204_1442607907_n.jpg

R

Roosterruler

I'd be torn between the kit lense and the 17-55mm. I'd definitely pass on taking a fuji.

Reasons why I'd take the dslr?

If you're like me, part of how you experience the world is by documenting it. I've been documenting my life photographically for so long that if I attempt to leave the camera at home, I always regret it. I've also regretted the times when I brought the cheap camera instead of the camera I use in my day to day shooting life.

Even in places where I was told, "Hey! It's dangerous to have a camera!" I've felt fine. I just keep it in my crappy looking rucksack (never a camera bag) and pull it out when I feel like it's appropriate.

I think it's always worth it to bring the camera if you're a photographer who is used to using the camera frequently in many moments of life. If you didn't photograph before the trip, I'd leave it at home. If you don't already, not use in bringin the extra weight. Quite clearly, you're a photographer. You'd only be frustrating yourself with the fuji.

Maybe give a week test run to see what happens if you spend a week documenting experiences with the fuji. You mentioned, before, weight and size being an issue. For me, I never felt burdened by the extra weight of the dslr. It was always worth it to have it in my bag. I chose it always over anything else 'cept my toothbrush. I love my tooth brush. See how it fits into your pack in the end.

As for what lense?

I travel with my kit lense.

Is it crappy?
YES!
Do I value the lense?
No!

And that's why.

I love that lense because I don't care about it. I throw it in my backpack and don't worry about it getting dirty or beat up. It's lasted all this time and if it quite on me some day, I'm not too worried about that.

I see the benefits of bringing the "badass lense." Is it what you generally shoot with for day to day life?

That's my take.
Obviously, it's your call.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I have a Canon T3i that a friend gave to me with a really, really nice 20mm 1.8f sigma lens. I'm a photography newbie, but this is what I always take with me. It seems to make sense to have a crappier camera with a good lens than vice versa. I say stick with option #2.

Joni

Reaction score
sony and cannon came out with a compact point and shoot camera with detachable lenses that are compatible with the dslr. saw them at best buy about a year ago?!?! this is a hybrid type that gains both benits and such. but for gerneral shooting pics oon the road its alot of quick little moments that one would have to capture. i myself am torn too but between 8mp camera phone and a 10mp sony point and shoot. for me its all about weight and how much to fit in a pack. also how much would someone would wanna jack you for your stuff while on the road??

tobepxt

Reaction score
Website
wastedlandz.tumblr.com
thanks guys. dont get me wrong fuji is one hell of a camera for its size. its quality is fuckin great, low noise at high iso, and grea build quality tooo. i already use it as a street camera but mostly the battery life and slow focus speed is the negitive.. the kit lens have the same issue when focusing.

Joni

Reaction score
thanks guys. dont get me wrong fuji is one hell of a camera for its size. its quality is fuckin great, low noise at high iso, and grea build quality tooo. i already use it as a street camera but mostly the battery life and slow focus speed is the negitive.. the kit lens have the same issue when focusing.

sounds like you already decided. like you already use the fuji as a street camera. my sony battery life sucks as well, i feel for ya! everything has a trade off.

hope this helps..
-joni

R

Roosterruler

For battery life, to extend it, I usually take out the battery or, if part of the metal is revealed at the top (like with a standard AA), I put a piece of paper there while storing. It usually helps extend the time needed between charges.

• Useful
Reactions: Joni

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
I have a little, old camera bag that I attached an old, folded gun holster to as the strap. I [try to] take it with me everywhere!
In it, I've got my Canon DSLR, kit lens, two zooms, ring flash, various filters, macro extensions, barrel extension (I do a LOT of macro), extra battery, battery charger, card reader, small tri-reflector and cleaning supplies.
When I'm on the road though, the threat of having my camera and gear stolen still isn't enough to prevent me from making sure I'm able to get awesome shots while traveling.
The best trick I've found, is to try to cram it all into it's own fanny pack.
Seriously.
You can easily find one big enough to fit at least a zoom, some filters and an extra battery.
I sling mine (its leather and says "totes" on the front) across my chest while my pack is on,
and have it on my left hip - with my possi-pack fanny on my right hip - when I can move about without my pack.
With that set up, I just carry my camera with a hand strap - Or an awesome belt mount.
It ends up boiling down to this:
A) this particular set up means i have my camera gear all up in my face all the time and my camera is either in my hand or slung over my neck...
B) my camera is in my hands = I'm "forced" to take more photos :)

I think really it all just depends on what you shoot, as far as the lens goes.
I shoot mostly macro and pics for panos.
So a my 35-80 and my 80-200 go with me everywhere.
As do my macro extensions and barrel.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
damn, is that a quick release plate on the belt mount? that's awesome.

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
damn, is that a quick release plate on the belt mount? that's awesome.

Yea theyre awesome. As soon as I have the dough Im getting one. My old one got lost somewhere :/
You used to be able to find them on photojojo but Im sure there are other models on amazon and ebay too.

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
Fuck it
Or you can make it somehow!

Kate Westcoast

Reaction score
Website
evencowgirlsgetthepoops.tumblr.com
I have a little, old camera bag that I attached an old, folded gun holster to as the strap. I [try to] take it with me everywhere!
In it, I've got my Canon DSLR, kit lens, two zooms, ring flash, various filters, macro extensions, barrel extension (I do a LOT of macro), extra battery, battery charger, card reader, small tri-reflector and cleaning supplies.
When I'm on the road though, the threat of having my camera and gear stolen still isn't enough to prevent me from making sure I'm able to get awesome shots while traveling.
The best trick I've found, is to try to cram it all into it's own fanny pack.
Seriously.
You can easily find one big enough to fit at least a zoom, some filters and an extra battery.
I sling mine (its leather and says "totes" on the front) across my chest while my pack is on,
and have it on my left hip - with my possi-pack fanny on my right hip - when I can move about without my pack.
With that set up, I just carry my camera with a hand strap - Or an awesome belt mount.
It ends up boiling down to this:
A) this particular set up means i have my camera gear all up in my face all the time and my camera is either in my hand or slung over my neck...
B) my camera is in my hands = I'm "forced" to take more photos :)

I think really it all just depends on what you shoot, as far as the lens goes.
I shoot mostly macro and pics for panos.
So a my 35-80 and my 80-200 go with me everywhere.
As do my macro extensions and barrel.
GAH that is smart!
i normally wear a fanny pack just big enough for a notebad and tobacco but
CAMERA! ACCESSABLE! stealing this idea next time i hit the road for sure, thanks!!

Reactions: eske silver

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
Ya ya! DO!

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
I just recently picked up an Olympus E-M5 mirrorless camera. Getting a cheap lens soon (which also comes with another camera but i'm just going to sell that). I've always used point and shoots but it just won't do it for me anymore. I need better quality, and i've been REALLY getting into the whole semi-professional photography world (as in looking at it from afar and trying to wrap my mind around all the shit you need to know). I'll be getting a 12-50mm lens which will complete the weather sealed system, and might drop a few hundred bucks on a 12mm rokinon lens for landscapes and astrophotography... I'll definitely be getting insurance when i'm out in the world, though.
This mirrorelss camera was only $380 Canadian and even though it came out in 2012 it's still a good contender with stuff coming out now.

kecleon

Reaction score
I would take the Olympus out of those options but really I'd sell all your lenses and buy the 22mm f2 stm good for video and photos. Super light turns your Canon suddenly portable.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads