buying land, going off the grid.

Winter

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Hey as far as those hospital bills go.............. what you can do is go here: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

You can obtain a free credit report once a year from all three reporting agencies.

Anything over seven years old has to be removed You can call the company and request it be done

For hospital bills.................alot of hospitals have whats called an indigent care program Basically if you're a poor fucker and can't afford to pay the bill you apply for the program and it is written off and removed from your credit. I had about 30,000.00 worth of hospital bills removed from mine last year

Reactions: todd

yarn and glue

Reaction score
Website
couragequail.bandcamp.com
Mouse, I primarily work on farms as I ramble around, so I've seen a lot of land for sale and worked for a few people who got their land cheap. Part of it is just being in the right place at the right time -- I know someone who got thirty acres of beautiful forest for a song, 'cause she was the ONLY bidder in an auction that was severely under-advertised.

Highly recommend auctions for just about anything, not only land but old pick-up trucks as well . . .

Bullet

Reaction score
have you thought about buying land in another country besides America? I don't know anything about things like this, but it might be cheaper/easier/less restrictive somewhere else...?

M

Mouse

it's possible, but it'd be hard to go buying land that I haven't seen, but maybe one day I'll leave this shithole and buy some tiny piece of land in france lol

Wotan

Reaction score
Website
wodinswrath.blogspot.com
Patience and perseverance. I had the off-grid dream and one step at a time and I'm on my way. Bought the land about 3 years ago and am getting ready for the eventual move off grid and retired. From full time city work anyway. There will always be plenty of work on the land. I found a few real estate web sites checked them everyday. All the while saving money. Eventually a perfect piece (for what i wanted) came up. Here is an American land real estate site I found on homesteading.org. I don't know how good it is. but it's good to start looking at what is out there and how much things are going for. Welcome to OzarkLand: Land Ownership made Simple and Affordable. But the best things is just to look in the affordable areas that you want in on. Good Luck.

nitepeepole

Reaction score
arkansas is dirt cheap. back in the 70s my grandpas read this book that said the world was gunna go all apocalyptic. he took that shit as truth and decided to move out to the middle of fukkng nowhere arkansas. yelville to be exact.
he lived waay deep in the ozarks for about thirty years till he went crazy, said he was infected by a fungus and set his trailer and everything he owned on fire.
now he lives in senior housing in carlsbad. and the land is out there but nobody wants it.
taxes suck. thats the number two reason i wouldnt buy property. the number one reason being i have no money.

Beyond The Sun

Reaction score
Someone posted this link in another thread (don't remember who), so I'm stealing it from them, but it's pretty pertinent to this thread too. Living off the grid in a simple cabin - full time!

There's a lot of info on this site. Of course, this is just one couple's experience, but it seems like they have a lot of good ideas and it's very thorough.
Good luck with it. I totally understand where you're coming from too, I have similar ambitions.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
I've also thought about this from time to time over the years and have always decided against it since I can still find plenty of land to squat on. I still think about doing it in the future however at some point. Every state is different when it comes to land ownership laws, regulations and zoning. So it's definitely best to be well versed about a specific area before you even consider buying. Laws, regulations and taxes can vary even from county to county though so it's definitely best to find out specific information about the area that your considering before doing anything. If you do decide to buy a chunk of land, it's usually to your advantage to get something that you can afford to buy in cash as the price will be lower or the terms better if it's a private contract deal.

fluke1986

Reaction score
okay, so there is this thing called "squatters rights" or "adverse possession". Im not really sure if it is 100% true but from what I hear, according to this law if you squat on a piece of land for a certain amount of years (somewhere in the range of 7 or 15) you can claim that land as your own. It has to be WITHOUT the consent of the owner of coarse and I think you might even have to build some sort of structure. And it all probably depends on what state this land is in. For all I know it could even be outdated. but it doesn't hurt to do a little research, right?

jon

Reaction score
Website
www.jonproulx.com
Adverse possession is ass...

Pretty much anywhere (any where that has it any way) needs to be open notorious and without consent and you have to keep up the taxes, in MA it's got to be continuous for 20 years...

So bust your ass pay the taxes any 19 years 11month later you get served eviction papers...even after 20 years then if the "real" owner comes back you get to go to court to try and prove all this shit, no thanks...

nuckfumbertheory

Reaction score
Buying land w/ no house is a big pain. You're going to have a hell of a time financing. Unless you've got the cash money you're going to have a hard time. And then yes you're going to have to deal with the government about breaking ground on your land. Personally I think you're probably better finding land that isn't being used and start building on it without permission. Just go around the red tape and you can do a lot more faster.

anne

Reaction score
Website
mobilecondo.blogspot.com
I regularly check landsofamerica.com, landandfarm.com, and landwatch.com but I don't know how good those sites are for buying small parcels. I'm hoping to pay cash for 100+ acres in the middle of nowhere in about 5 years. That way taxes will only be a few hundred dollars per year as long as nobody finds out we're building on it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads