bored and adventurous.

I

IBRRHOBO

I hate my life.

Wow, this is some pretty good advice as far as threads go! Good shit! A round of applause for everyone here! And rememberusername has a really good point there about loners; I, being one, can vouch for that. Every now and then I like even some lame company!

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I hate my life.

your kidding me right? wow. hate to be so blunt but youde fit in better on digihitch.com.

I

IBRRHOBO

I hate my life.

your kidding me right? wow. hate to be so blunt but youde fit in better on digihitch.com.

didgihitch.com? never been there. but coming from a kid that still lives at home with the folks I guess I shouldn't take much offense. Going back thru our dialogue by clicking Conversations in the profile link I thought it was you that said you're more of a "squatter/hitcher" than a train rider, so I'm kinda confused here. How would I belong on a hitchiking site if I don't hitchhike as opposed to you who does?

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
I hate my life.

The more independant you can be out on the rails, the better you are. (You have the say-so on what you do or where you want to go then)!
Just get out there on the rails by yourself and learn all you can on your own. Having a crew-change guide or railroad map you don't really learn the right way in where the trains go! When I started hopping in the late 1980's, I was all alone by myself. I preferred it this way anyway, and within six months of doing this on my very own, I knew more about trains and where they all went than 90% of the other riders out there just by keeping my eyes and ears open and learning everything that I could!

Within two and a half years of continually doing this, I was able to go anywhere on the North American continent by freight train. I knew every single yard there was nationwide. I knew what/when and where I could get a free meal, a hot shower, free changes of clothes, etc on top of all this. If you really are wanting to get out of Florida, you absolutely need nobody at all but yourself! You'll know what's up when somethings not right, you'll know when things are not right by the way they sound, smell and taste! You'll start to grow steel-wool for hair and aluminum fingernails your first year out! Don't be afraid to leave if that's what you truly want to do.
Go out and grab the life you want by the throat and don't ever let go!
Scope out the yards and train movements like "Widerstand" was saying if you're still not convinced you can do it on your very own! Google up maps of various town/cities too if you're still not so sure about hopping out! You'll get nowhere sitting there saying that you hate your life!!! You'll get nowhere and nowhere fast!!! Nobody is going to feel sorry for you and take you by the hand like you'd like for them to. Just be carefull in who you ask to ride with if that's what you decide you want to do at first. (If you truly are a good judge of character, you'll know when you're being missled or taken advantage of)! Grab "YOUR" life by the neck and squeeze as hard as you can and say, "This is what I want to do in life!!!", and then go get it!!!

Good luck to you!

~Shoestring~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RideMoreTrains

Reaction score
I hate my life.

Grab "YOUR" life by the neck and squeeze as hard as you can and say, "This is what I want to do in life!!!", and then go get it!!!
best advice on this whole damned forum right here folks. nothing changes by people sitting around and wishing it would. traveling will not change your life either. if anything it'll just make it that much harder.

IBRR gave the other great advice. stay in school and get an education while you can. i would give a lot to have the opportunity to go back so school and wished i didn't fuck around in grade school so much. it sucks being forced to work manual labor jobs because no one else will hire you, and many full time riders have incomplete work histories, and arrests that makes finding work even harder.

i also agree be careful with who you travel with. not everyone is as nice as the people here. what are you going to do if your riding with some crazy ass drunk guy that tries to use you?? ditches you?? goes to jail?? and your left all alone in some place your not familiar with? these things do happen.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I hate my life.

didgihitch.com? never been there. but coming from a kid that still lives at home with the folks I guess I shouldn't take much offense. Going back thru our dialogue by clicking Conversations in the profile link I thought it was you that said you're more of a "squatter/hitcher" than a train rider, so I'm kinda confused here. How would I belong on a hitchiking site if I don't hitchhike as opposed to you who does?

i wasnt talking about you man. i was talking to the chick who posted the topic. i have nothing against you. and yeah i lived with my mother for a month because she was alone while her husband was in iraq. please do some research before blasting me.

I

IBRRHOBO

I hate my life.

Ah, the quote button works. Well, accordingly, I will submit apology Ravie. As for blasting, I can't see where I've done that. Let's see, I stated you lived w/your mom which you have; I stated that you posted you didn't know much about the trains as you were a "squatter/hitcher" which is what you wrote to me in the Comments section; I stated that it would appear that the name 'digihitch' implies hitchhiking and as you hitchhike and I don't it would seem to be better suited to your habits as I've never visited the site and could only take its name @ face value. I believe that if you dig a bit into some of my posts you could find some GENUINE blasting. As to research, all I can base my opinions on (which are like assholes) is what I have spoken to you about; what others have spoken to me about and what I have read in your threads.

Regardless, I bear no grudge against you. If you have one towards me I'm afraid it will have to be piled in the mile-high stack pending resolution ahead of you. Either way, another case of miscommunication. Thankfully it's on the Net as things seem to be a bit more rational here as opposed to around the 'ol campfire in the jungle, 'eh?!

A

Arapala

I hate my life.

" You'll never know if the water is really cold if you don't kick off the freakin shoes and jump in... "

So true. I am jumping in this may! working on taking my shoes off right now. Hahaha what a metaphorical way of putting it.

soymilkshakes

Reaction score
I hate my life.

No matter where you go, there you are.

I journaled that exact sentence a couple of weeks ago, realizing so many things in myself that I was trying to change via travel.
The beauty of travel (for me, and probably many others) is that it pushes along those personal epiphanies. But if you find mediocrity in stationary life, you will find the same on the road, once the novelty wears off. Sometimes it's better to change your perspective rather than your location.
What is on the road? What is on the tracks?

katiehabits

Reaction score
Website
kthabits.tumblr.com
I hate my life.

I journaled that exact sentence a couple of weeks ago, realizing so many things in myself that I was trying to change via travel.
The beauty of travel (for me, and probably many others) is that it pushes along those personal epiphanies. But if you find mediocrity in stationary life, you will find the same on the road, once the novelty wears off. Sometimes it's better to change your perspective rather than your location.

wow yup i don't think i've even admitted that to myself untill now.... well said.

kai

Reaction score
I hate my life.

i agree wholeheartedly...after the initial excitement fades away, you'll realize you're the same boring/bored person you were before, just in a new place...further away from what brought you comfort(although this builds character really well). I think the best thing to do would figure out a few things that make you happy and feel awesome, like hobbies or volunteer work or something...and take those on the road with you...that way you'll be more likely to enjoy yourself on your own thus empowering you with independence. You will also find it easier to make friends and find the people you wanna spend your time with cause you'll know what it is you like and be able to identify with people who share these interests as well.

also you'll probably do better to just go out and get started...i mean we've all passed hitchhikers on the highway, you know what to do....when i started riding freight it was cause i met riders while i was travelling and eventually found a crew i got along with and went with them and took it from there.

Poe Boy

Reaction score
I hate my life.

That's why I recommended in another thread that the person study to find places they want to go and see. That way, they aren't "Wandering aimlessly, because my life sucks and I want to slit my wrists.", but have actual goals, which are now "I'm see ing places and things that other people only dream they can.

Your story about siing the Grand Canyon may not impress people who live in Arizona, but it's a tale of exotic adventure to the guy giving you a ride in Jersey. Some people pick up hobos just to hear a good story.

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
I hate my life.

I agree here!
I have had countless people pull over to give me a ride, just in order to ask me if I'd mind sharing a freight train adventure story.....(The most common story they look foreward in hearing is the ones about hopping on the wrong trains, or the ones where the bull throws me into jail! lol!

That's why I recommended in another thread that the person study to find places they want to go and see. That way, they aren't "Wandering aimlessly, because my life sucks and I want to slit my wrists.", but have actual goals, which are now "I'm see ing places and things that other people only dream they can.

Your story about siing the Grand Canyon may not impress people who live in Arizona, but it's a tale of exotic adventure to the guy giving you a ride in Jersey. Some people pick up hobos just to hear a good story.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
I hate my life.

Shoestring, if you just take to hitchin' with that forthcoming book of yours, why, you'd make a fortune! People will want to hear the stories, and they'll feel good about helping you out with a bit of cash...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads