best size boat to live aboard, 2 people and a dog | Squat the Planet

best size boat to live aboard, 2 people and a dog

Durp

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My partner and I have decided we aren't done traveling so we are putting the homestead on hold to sail around for a year or so. We are seriously looking for boats, and are curious about size. We want something easy enough to sail single handed, yet big enough to comfortably house 2 people and our 60 lbs dog. I am looking in the 25 to 27 ft range. I would like a bigger one but the price seems to jump quickly. Im in the Seattle area, any good tips to find a boat? I don't want a pos that needs a lot of work. What should I expect to spend reasonably?
Thanks

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Reactions: Durp

Durp

Reaction score
I contacted him, but I don't have a boat to get out there. I made him an offer, but haven't heard back. I would have to have enough money after the purchase to have it towed to shore and pulled out for me to work on it. I want to be able to look at the boat well before a purchase. Hopefully I will hear back from him, even if he feels my offer was a bit low, Id love to know what the best price he can do it for.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Seeds21

Reaction score
dont settle for a 25-27ft boat 2 people full time liveaboard in that will be miserable minimum you want 32 feet. Just look around Ferro Cement boats go super cheap as a lot of them were built like shit and fall apart but if you find anything made by John Sampson those boats are built tuff and sail around the world.

Sirius07

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My partner and I have decided we aren't done traveling so we are putting the homestead on hold to sail around for a year or so. We are seriously looking for boats, and are curious about size. We want something easy enough to sail single handed, yet big enough to comfortably house 2 people and our 60 lbs dog. I am looking in the 25 to 27 ft range. I would like a bigger one but the price seems to jump quickly. Im in the Seattle area, any good tips to find a boat? I don't want a pos that needs a lot of work. What should I expect to spend reasonably?
Thanks
I'm looking for a live aboard boat. If you can find one get a 30'er. It was recommended to me that if I were sailing the oceans to get A 30' and up. Lots of people sail these single handed. A 13 year old girl sailed around the world by her self on a 40' boat. She took to years to do it but yeah go better if you can. Just safer and more room

Lamont sanford

Reaction score
I live in south Louisiana.I am a 100 ton crew boat captain in the gulf of Mexico .in my opinion you will get the best deal down here in south Louisiana .everyone here has a few boats and they go for relatively cheap

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads