1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Best place to live in the woods long-term?

Discussion in 'Wilderness Survival' started by mkirby, Aug 8, 2010.

1. travelingjoe

travelingjoe Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    City:
    West Union
    State:
    WV
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +20 / -0
    Threads old but a lot of good info here.

2. codycodnyk

codycodnyk Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    City:
    New York
    State:
    NY
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +52 / -0
    If you can find someone with private hunting land that they don't go to often, you might be able to offer improving their site in exchange for camping there. A lot of suburban folks with money have hunting land far away in the sticks. Some of these people don't go there often because of work, so they might only visit their land for a weekend or two. I have an uncle in that exact situation, and everytime he goes up, he has too little time to make the campsite better. He keeps saying he wants to dig a latrine and build tree stands, but he doesn't want to waste the short weekend on work when he could drink beer and hunt. Perhaps if you put a Craigslist ad out there, you'd get a bite.

I recommend this method because you'd have much less contact with game wardens or rangers, if any at all. Plus they can't run you off since you have permission from the landowner to be there

• Like Like x 3
  3. codycodnyk

codycodnyk Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    City:
    New York
    State:
    NY
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +52 / -0
    Edit double post

#23 codycodnyk, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  4. travelingjoe

travelingjoe Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    City:
    West Union
    State:
    WV
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +20 / -0
  5. Arnold

Arnold Just signed up

Achievements:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    There seems to be a lot of information in this post that I would disregard. For instance, firearms are illegal? WHAT?

I've spent the last year gathering knowledge on surviving in the extreme northwest. I'm planning on spending the rest of my life out there sometime soon, 50+ miles from anyone and anything, and I can tell you, a firearm is something I will probably not only need, but want.
    I too have grown weary of the urban lifestyle, and am tired of society demanding that I conform to their own standards and demands, so as I prepare to go I'm looking forward to spending the rest of my life doing what I want to do; living life.

My advice is to look into your future and know what you want. You say you're going to take people with you? how will that alter the dynamics of your lifestyle in the future? Being alone can be difficult, that's the one part I'm not looking forward to but I've accepted it, so just make sure you're mentally ready for that if it happens, and above all trust those going with you, as well as understand that they may leave you high and dry. What if they decide they don't want that lifestyle anymore? What will you do if that happens? People change their minds all the time, just look at divorce rates!!
    Will you ever want kids, etc? Are you prepared to raise them out there? It can certainly be done but these are some of the things that you will need to ask yourself.

As far as finding land, well... that's the fun part. ;)

#25 Arnold, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  6. Robert zolzer

I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Im going to live in the woods still thinking witch one to go to. Im leaveing bout june im going to ride my bike. Been doing alot of study of it and know im ready

7. AlmostAlwaysLost

AlmostAlwaysLost Failed Adventurer
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +522 / -22
    I'd advise against camping illegally in the flint hills. Yeah u might not get caught but most of it is protected grassland. You could find yourself in a world of legal trouble if caught...

As for Ozarks heck yeah that place is awesome.

8. todd

todd Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    artist blacksmith
    City:
    Drummonds
    State:
    TN
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +291 / -21
    so how did your project work out? did you spend anytime camping?
    this past winter I was at Land between the Lakes national forest for a week. its nice to recharge your nature batteries but id really like to do it long term also.