Advice for Showering & Staying Clean | Page 9 | Squat the Planet

Advice for Showering & Staying Clean

K

Kim Chee

someone who washes themselves with soap and water and maintains the agreed upon standard of hygiene for the last 40 years = uppity douche bag

i AM worried about myself bud. i have to SIT next to you on the subway.
When I discover myself in close quarters with somebody who is stinking, some things come to mind:
I can move to another place.
I can get over it and appreciate that they don't smell like some nasty cover up store bought stench.
I can be glad I don't smell that bad.
I can open my pits a little, meld odors and savor the aroma.
I can go on.
Being clean is really a good thing, but if you are so stuck on the PERSONAL hygiene of another you might consider taking a closer look at your own shortcomings.

• Haha
Reactions: Mankini

bryanpaul

Reaction score
the GOOD gals, like stinky boys ...tee hee.......... dont wash them pheromones off TOO often

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
someone who doesn't smell -- i wonder what the chances are that they do manual labor for a living?

My freaking ex-husband. He could be outside all day doing sports, etc, worked as a plumber, worked out at a very smelly gym, competed in amateur power lifting events - and that man could wring out his t-shirt - have water streaming out of it and he never smelled of B.O. at all. The only time he smelled was when he would come home from his plumbing job and then he stunk of downright nasty sewer.

• Haha
Reactions: SophiaII

Shakou

Reaction score
I personally HAVE to take a shower, because I go nuts with greasy hair. However, as funny as it may sound, I've kind of taken a liking to the traveler "smell". I have good friends who rarely take a shower, but who will jump in a lake or find a sink to rinse off and clean themselves in. They don't even notice the fact that they smell in any way until someone in a store or on a bus says "Oh God they smell like ass". But to me they smell like camp fire, leaves, and dirt which I kind of like :)

RockerBilly

Reaction score
I wish crusty travellers would take more inspiration from the gypsies. Proper Romani gypsies are completely obsessed with hygeine. They have strict rules and rituals they undergo in order to stay clean and enforce their personal hygeine. This is the whole origin of why Europeans think gypsies have magical powers, because in medieval times the gypsies were clean and never got the plague or got sick, because they were so clean. They understood germ theory back when western medicine thought drilling holes in your head would cure insanity.

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
So did native americans. They were grossed out by the whitemans stink. And no surprise guess who it was that brought mass new pathogens to this continent. Funk is a western european thing. The church used to forbid frequent bathing as it was decreed hedonistic by the pope.

I don't mind giving rides to typical BO laden travelers because I generally go a few days myself. But I've had a few that I told to get the fuck out because they smelled like urine and fresh dysenteric feces. They had to of made it a strong effort to wash as little as possible.

Reaction score
I personally HAVE to take a shower, because I go nuts with greasy hair. However, as funny as it may sound, I've kind of taken a liking to the traveler "smell". I have good friends who rarely take a shower, but who will jump in a lake or find a sink to rinse off and clean themselves in. They don't even notice the fact that they smell in any way until someone in a store or on a bus says "Oh God they smell like ass". But to me they smell like camp fire, leaves, and dirt which I kind of like :)

sounds weird, but i love that smell of my boyfriend :)

Reaction score
Proper hygiene is so critical to prevention, SO much can be prevented by keeping clean and hygienic. That's one of the big reason I like to travel alone and not let travelers/squatters crash at my place anymore. Some people are so careless about health they essentially become carriers for hella diseases and infections/parasites - lice,scabies,athletes foot/ringworm/staph/etc. But hey, I guess that gives you a punk point? lol.. that's actually why I prefer the direct action activists and hippies these days. People not caring effects others, I'm less concerned about smell than people who rub fungal/staph infections then touch everyones stuff and never washes their hand. Also why I avoid homeless shelter/ymca showers - BRING FLIP FLOPS ::nurse::

lol @ ppl saying "in the old days they had no soap and water" .... they also had more plagues and and disease outbreaks as well as more parasitic infections ::facepalm::

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
Even if you can't get showers all that often, you can always save up for a few essential oils and all natural tinctures :D I stay pretty hygienic and low stink by rubbing witch hazel extract on my skin every day. It's incredible how much dirt it picks up. Gives your skin a nice glow, too. Essential oils can help you smell nice, and there's tons of scents. Take your pick. Albeit, these aren't the cheapest things around, but if you do the whole temp job/seasonal work thing, it's not hard to pick up a couple of bottles while you have cash on hand. They last forever and a half, and they don't make you smell like the candle aisle of a Wal Mart supercenter :p
Then again, there's nothing wrong with the smell of human. It can definitely get a bit out of hand, though.

• Sad

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Even if you can't get showers all that often, you can always save up for a few essential oils and all natural tinctures :D I stay pretty hygienic and low stink by rubbing witch hazel extract on my skin every day. It's incredible how much dirt it picks up. Gives your skin a nice glow, too. Essential oils can help you smell nice, and there's tons of scents. Take your pick. Albeit, these aren't the cheapest things around, but if you do the whole temp job/seasonal work thing, it's not hard to pick up a couple of bottles while you have cash on hand. They last forever and a half, and they don't make you smell like the candle aisle of a Wal Mart supercenter :p
Then again, there's nothing wrong with the smell of human. It can definitely get a bit out of hand, though.

how much is too much, in termz of stench? i'm cool with bo. but if someone toots you can count me out.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Eh, I guess once your dirt is causing you health problems like scabies or lice. That's where I'd draw the line, lol. Time to take better care of yourself. Other than that, I could give less of a shit :p

i know a guy named "hernando" here in town who reeks like a thousand different thingz. i would beat his azz but that boi is funqi. seriously. In all seriousness: he came in tha soup kitchen today. 2 houseflies kept landing on the seat of his pantz: he'd shoo em away but they kept returning. :(

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads