Why all the Hipster hatin'?

E

etpyh

The interesting thing about hipsters is that hipsters do not consider themselfes hipsters, at least that is my impression. So the question what a hipster is depends on what you consider to be a hipster.

lone wolf

Reaction score
When you get old like me then none of the lables have any real meaning. Or perhaps its because i dont hang out with anyone that labels have no meaning... Either way, it's all meaningless imo.

Reactions: Odin and Gonx

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
It all comes down to authenticity and DIY ethics. I'd hang out with a DIY hippie, DIY hipster, DIY punk, DIY yuppie anyday rather than a consumerist hippie, consumerist hipster, consumerist punk, conusmerist whatever.
And def. I don't like in hipsters the same thing I don't like in most people hatin' in this thread: hating people based upon a visual category. Self-righteous stylistic assholeness.

YES, there are DIY hipsters who don't hang out at the malls, who don't even like to be called hipsters, and who just want to look good in their own way without buying new things all the time or having to look like a drunk punk or wear tan-shorts and a golf hat. What is your deal with having a hate-box for every human being?

Reactions: Odin

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
I constantly get called a hipster cause I wear shitty clothes and listen mostly to old music. I just don't like paying 20 bucks for a pair of jeans at walmart and I don't really like the stuff on the radio. I like art and writing a lot too and i collect Vinyl records so I guess that doesn't help. I dunno what a hipster is, but to me it's the same thing as a scenester, just, someone who goes to shows because its cool to like that band right now or someone who skates because everyone else is doing it or shitty crust punks who bumfuck around town and harasses people and then go back home because its edgy as fuck to be the traveling type or whatever.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Hear you on that one, CelticWanderer
If anybody else here like to travel hard, but enjoys clothing with colour and not being scarey to children, we should meet, because lately I feel quite alone in my approach to life.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads