Why all the Hipster hatin'?

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
My problem with hipsters is that as a subculture, they tend to steal bits and pieces of other cultures to make up their culture instead of inventing their own.

As far as I know, they're the only culture that does this, and more often than not simply because what's being taken is "cool".

Some may say that every culture does this, but I would argue that other cultures will generally expand upon something being taken from somewhere else, where hipster culture will take something for what it is (never expanding upon it) and eventually discarding it once it's lost its "cool" factor.

Overall I consider hipsterdom to be a mostly parasitic and pro-consumerist culture, which is why it should be destroyed :p

Like every other culture ever, I mean? At least, so long as culture existed in human conception -- that is, so long as we were like, hey, there's this thing that begs us to create a word to understand. It's our collective identity.

Thing is culture is as much defined but the common uniquities people have, as well as the individual idiosyncrasies they have. So, hipster is just another way to understand a general trend of tastes and preferences. Sure it varies, is subjective and all, but it is of practical human purpose.

We all steal bits and pieces. Let's get some crude analysis going on here: Punks are so varied, and varied according to who/where they get the values from to which to fill their vision of an anarchic world: punks are really just the following with a cultural twist: homosexuals (gender-punx), wanna be indigenous (anti-civ punx), homeless randoms (gutter-punx), metalheads (crust-punx), faith people (Christianarchists), post-punks (hipster punks), hippies (dirty kids), etc.

Punk is saying something. So are the other descriptions like hipster. There are a ton of hipster types if you think about it: fixed gear hipster (good friends of the bike-punx), the feminist hipster (good friends of gender punx), homeless hipsters (backpackers), doom-rockers and post-metalers (friends of crust-punx, but definitely more hipsterish), post-hipsters (once-cool parents), etc.

Most likely, we are a series layer of multiple cultures and subcultures -- Like an onion. None of us fall right near the tree of a single trunk of a single culture. We're all on a map.

I'll agree that hipster is way more liberal a word, used to describe a way larger range of cultural traits -- that's wierd as in it loses it's meaning, but also perhaps a better thing to identify with if there is more freedom. I think that i I'm being honest, any punks that are trying to be up with the trends in punk, and not failing at it, are a type of hipster. Hipster is a product of globalizing culture (and let's not have to start the conversation about how much America and UK are in most global punk subcultures), but also, as a word, indicate we're prefering to use singular descriptions for a wide cultural array of people.

So hipster means everything and nothing at all -- in theory. Mostly, its a word that self-conscious hipsters use to describe other people (rarely themselves) that they have enough in common with to get really defensive with and try to point out the differences (relatively few, in the eyes of society) they feel they are there.

I am probably a hipster. I call other people hipsters when I'm just trying to remind myself and others that we're up for cultural critique (like anyone else), and that none of us is better than the other, or when people clearly use their cultural "progressiveness" and constant "irony" to say in many words/actions nothing useful at all. I think most of us are hipsters, but also feel there's no point in bringing it up unless people are being self-righteous, "I'm better than the rest of society because of my tastes" people.

And yet, I have no authority to define hipster. It probably one of the more vague words of our time.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Ha. I live in a pretty eclectic neighborhood - all sorts of people mixed in. Just the one comment though on the hipsters. They should not ride a bicycle with those skinny ass pants on. I'v seen more hipster crack than I ever wanted too. :p

You ever tried to ride pants with baggier pants? It's not a good idea. But I guess if shredded up pant legs is what you're going for, then punk points for that, right?

Reactions: North

drewski

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I think that a "hipster", "poseur", whatever is basically saying you are observing someone that you think doesn't really know themselves, or where they fit in this world which is something most people experience at one point or another.

It seems to bother people when they see the progression of someone else's fashion in life go from one trend to the next like a sheep and then base their interests (music, art, literature, etc) off of whatever is cool in that new "scene". It happens all over the place. I don't think it has bothered me per se, but it's something I get a kick out of and laugh about at the person's expense.

What bothers me is that trends effect the quality and comfortability of clothing. Since people are too concerned with looking good over durability and freedom of movement, most clothes are made like shit now. I can't tell you how many times I've needed to just buy a regular ass pair of pants from the store and can't find anything with a loose fit. Everything is based off of this fuckin skinny pants movement. Even "relaxed fit" pants fit tight. No longer are clothes made to last long, or for people that aren't built like the average geezer. They're made to cater to the sheep buying the latest garbage with Bieber blasting in the department store.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hipster... a word... ....

You know what? Fuck y'all all... Words will never contain me... or restrict the view in my eyes of those I see.

OH... in your level of vernacular...

lol lol hashtag# Hipsters posers... punks.. jocks... what? bitches assholes... people with face moles... dicks and pricks fucking judgmental hicks... every day you meet people up to swanky tricks. Listen up fucks and ducks... in a world of confusion and oblation.. The only life I seek is eye to eye understanding... in a truly free nation.

So fuck you... ;)

And if your still cool... light me up. ::cigar::

Last edited:
Reactions: Red and Monterey

DesertRat

Reaction score
Fuckin right Odin! Hipster is just a word. I dont see any reason to catagorize anyone.

Many people say what I bolded (Not intentionally including you in that).

I try my damndest to not categorize people; after all, we all are what we are, ya know? I still find myself falling prey to this base instinct on a regular basis.

That said, I believe we as a species have a subconscious need to understand (read as catagorize) everything, and I mean everything we encounter.

It's part of the whole survival thing, ya know?

That which cannot be easily set in a nice little cubby hole is regarded as "freak", or "random", and dismissed by society at large. Hell, even "freak" and "random" are categories!

Personal opinion, I believe the Hipster thing is a trend which will either pass, much like (thankfully) the huge shoulder pads, neon colors, and Parachute Pants of the 80's, or will slightly shift and be called something else, and the term "Hipster" will then become either a joke or an insult, depending on the circumstance/context.

But that's just me.

Red

Reaction score
I agree with you on the fact that it is human nature to catagorize. As humans we strive to find familiararity in anything we dont understand. By catagorizing we become fimiliar with something.

Reactions: Odin and Mankini

DesertRat

Reaction score
I agree with you on the fact that it is human nature to catagorize. As humans we strive to find familiararity in anything we dont understand. By catagorizing we become fimiliar with something.

Much agreed, as through familiarity we find out who is friend or foe, what's humorous or non, etc.

It harkens to the mammalian Flight or Fight instinct. Without that, you die.

Reactions: Red
K

Kim Chee

Much agreed, as through familiarity we find out who is friend or foe, what's humorous or non, etc.

It harkens to the mammalian Flight or Fight instinct. Without that, you die.

I don't mean to be a party pooper and I agree with some of the points made, but does anybody have anything else to share about hipsters?

DesertRat

Reaction score
Dude you're cracking me the fuck up with this new hipster obsession of yours... you can't get enough can you?

Mmmmmmichael has it right: I derailed the thread unwittingly, and was lightly chastised for it.

Thanks for the head slap.

Back to topic: It's most likely that many of the Hipsters seen today are in name only, just like our Oogles.

Fads change often, and when this one goes, it'll be quiet but abrupt. The silence of its death will be deafening.

Only then will the scene thin out, and they will no longer be hated, but will be just another subset of society; someone for the niche market to sell overpriced items to.

Reactions: Mankini

Monterey

Reaction score
Which brings me to my main point. I was a member of gen X. By that I mean generalization x. The media and corporate america wracked their brains out trying to codify us to remove our personal identities and make freaking BANK, yo! Most everybody knew what the fuck was up. If I sublimate my personality to fit into something, the unspoken statement is that I like fitting in more than I like myself. Which, incidentally, is where hipster arrogance comes from. Arrogance is very frequently a mask for insecurity. Anyway, the whole thing of the 90s was that they kept trying to nail us down and get a boxed personality to market to us. Many of us won, sidestepping the grunge bullshit and so forth. Hipsters, however, fucking LOST that war. Really sad. Did they even put up a fight before rolling over?
Some guy basically tells everyone to go to thrift stores and they Obey?! I can get an "Indie" group to tell people to buy a certain brand of soda, and I bet they would do it. New rapper marketed to the college set has new video containing all the "I am the shit" visual cliches telling everyone that bacon is awesome. Pork industry considers it their best investment since people figured out that bacon is toxic shit.

- Monterey

Last edited:
  • Sad

Mongo

Reaction score
I feel like this video explains what a lot of cultures do through exclusion and ridicule. hipsters can be especially arrogant and exclusionary just like traincore and oogle travelers just more subtle, or not depending on how inebriated they are. it's the I'm cooler than you because I do this and you don't so you're a loser attitude

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Monterey

Reaction score
Just when I introduce myself I say I am an oogle. It completely denudes the word of all power after that. It's like the saying: "You never open with your ace card, because then you have nowhere to go". I open by declaring that aces are worth only one. :)
Sorry in advance for being kinda hijacky.

- Monterey
Faith, hope, love.

• Useful

East

Reaction score
I'm of the belief that those who grapple onto these stereotypes to live by like a religion haven't found any true meaning for existing. You've got to dig deeper to find purpose than silly marketing terms and transient trends designed to pick pockets. Living by them is a great way to degrade and contain potential, it's an anchor on the core of your person. It's about putting real effort into knowing yourself and others. None of that surface bullshit. Hipsterdom and self indoctrination to it en mass is just a symptom of the shallow, bigoted and quantity over quality culture in which capitalism has directed us. With that said I don't think it's appropriate to ostracize people because of it. Get to know them and make a positive change if the opportunity arises. There's nothing being accomplished by simply scoffing in your own arrogance. People are more than marketing terms and the sooner they realize it the more tolerable sharing earth with them will be.

• Sad
Reactions: Mankini and Odin

Mongo

Reaction score
I'm of the belief that those who grapple onto these stereotypes to live by like a religion haven't found any true meaning for existing. You've got to dig deeper to find purpose than silly marketing terms and transient trends designed to pick pockets. Living by them is a great way to degrade and contain potential, it's an anchor on the core of your person. It's about putting real effort into knowing yourself and others. None of that surface bullshit. Hipsterdom and self indoctrination to it en mass is just a symptom of the shallow, bigoted and quantity over quality culture in which capitalism has directed us. With that said I don't think it's appropriate to ostracize people because of it. Get to know them and make a positive change if the opportunity arises. There's nothing being accomplished by simply scoffing in your own arrogance. People are more than marketing terms and the sooner they realize it the more tolerable sharing earth with them will be.

while i agree with you whole heartedly.

too much for my inebriated mind to handle, Drunk argument in video form!!!

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
The key to understanding Hipsters is to understand that their fashion statements minus their privilege negates Hipster status....American Spirits do not automatically grant hipster status...Nor do skinny jeans or an art school degree...But combine them with Bourgeois origins and Behold the Hipster. Essentially a Hipster is nascent, larval stage Bourgeois: nothing more nothing less.

Reactions: Odin

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Without evaluating the Hipster's privilege we cannot truly assign him that title. Without privilege, a Hipster is merely a fashionable young person. American Spirits, fixies, skinny jeanz, vinyl LPs:They don't automatically confer Hipster status: a person can obtain all of these items and not have earned the designator. But marry the above items with a Sarah Lawrence or SCAD degree and what you see before you is a true Hipster. The true Hipster is nascent Bourgeois: a Yuppie larvae soon to morph into a Volvo driving, 2.5 bath butterfly.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads