Road Trip Down I-95 - Awesome Sight Seeing Suggestions!

M

Mouse

My boyfriend and I are planning a road trip down 95 to go to Orlando to visit my best friend over spring break. Essentially we have a week to do this and I'd like to spend at least 4 days in Orlando so that leaves about 3 days of travel time to explore.

I'm looking for suggestions about cool places to stop and see along 95 between Richmond, VA and Orlando, Florida. I'd like to find the off-beat cool shit instead of the typical touristy stuff. I've hitched down 95 but that doesn't give you much chance to explore places off the main route and I've driven down there a few times but never had time to make pit stops. The goal this time around, since we're driving and have the time to spend, is to make the entire veture as interesting as possible.

Please share any ideas or places you've seen that you think might be worth checking out!

frzrbrnd

Reaction score
i've never been to it, but there's a hostel in brunswick, ga where you literally sleep in a treehouse. when me and my buddies were hitchhiking down i-95 a lady that picked us up told us about it. we ended up not going all the way down i-95, tho. would like to visit at some point in the future.

M

Mouse

I looked it up..

you have to be a member to stay there or something strange like that... I'm still gonna call and find out what the deal is. Seems interesting!

ipoPua

Reaction score
atlasobscura.com
and i'll be watching this thread, i'm following the 95 this spring as well

DregeDE

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
its a little off the 95 but the Charleston island from what FoxtailV last posted is 'still open' From what I understand hes off traveling its still an awsome place to check out. The money to be made is in North Charleston, downtown has some really interesting history - its one of the first north american pirate ports and has some really wild college parties. . . .

JoelRailDude

Reaction score
I live in Orlando, so let me know I want to meet Road dogs/ travel people, seems like you and your Bf been on it for a while, perhaps i can get some tips. Orlando sucks, specially for homeless and hobos etc. They will arrest you for having a blanket on, in a park, because that is considered " camping"

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
what about in the baltimore/dc area? i know of a rad abandoned asylum/hosptial that used to be a TB clinic in the mid 1900s.

Reactions: ipoPua

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
I looked it up..

you have to be a member to stay there or something strange like that... I'm still gonna call and find out what the deal is. Seems interesting!

That place is weird.. You have to reserve it and pay... At least it was like that 4 yrs ago. I had some SCAD friends that always got so pumped thinking they were really doing some hardcore shit going there.. Back in the day you had to check in your phone or turn it off or some shit...

Check it out tho... Different strokes, you know?

frzrbrnd

Reaction score
That place is weird.. You have to reserve it and pay... At least it was like that 4 yrs ago. I had some SCAD friends that always got so pumped thinking they were really doing some hardcore shit going there.. Back in the day you had to check in your phone or turn it off or some shit...

Check it out tho... Different strokes, you know?
i'd only heard about the place secondhand, so when i looked at the website it turned out to be some real hippy-dippy shit. but i think i still want to try the place out even so.

M

Mouse

their website says you're not allowed to use your phones in the presence of anyone in the common areas but you can have them... it is some silly hippy shit but I think it'd be cool to crash for a night in a treehouse. I plan on calling them sometime this week and see what the deal is. it's a cheap spot to stay the night really, with a free veg meal. I'm more than willing to feed some chickens o help "contribute" lol

From what I can tell on their website, the whole "membership" thing is just a code word for "we dont' have liability insurance so sign this waiver." You sign the waiver, pay the 25$ per person, and enjoy the show I guess lol. I don't mind hippies that much as long as they leave me be when I'm in my own space.

oh, and to clarify - I am not homeless nor currently a hobo/travler. this is the most typical cliche spring break road trip I've ever planned. I've been off the road for a while now going to college. I'm going to Orlando to visit my best friend who moved down there this past summer. Orlando does suck, yes, but seeing her makes it tolerable. lol

I think we might be stopping in Savannah, GA on the way down - Any ideas of neat places to see there? We're probably gonna hit up the Treehouse spot on the way back. Seems like a nice way to break up the long drive.

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
Near city market is a bar called mercury lounge that had a deal where you pay 5 bucks and drink all you want between 9 and 11.. Not quite a thing to tour but worth it if you wind up spending the night in savannah...

The whole downtown area itself is pretty nice to look at... There is an abandoned hospital or asylum across from Forsyth Park that's pretty cool if you can still get in..
And then there's Tybee.... Nothing but a bunch of bars but I guess it worth the stop..
I recommend stopping in savannah

M

Mouse

thanks for the ideas. we're definitely stopping in savannah.

the boy and I discussed the possibility of hitting Savannah for st. pats... we've both heard of the awesomeness of their celebration... but we decided it would be more fun to be in Richmond for the holiday and spend it with people we know. If we can ever manage it it'd be awesome to go down with a crew of friends to experience that place on the holiday tho!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads