I am back!

phatmatt

Reaction score
Been a few years! I never hit the road but now i want to more than ever. I am broke. Like $100 to my name broke. Trying to sell my old beat up car to make my total money about $1500. I don't have a job anymore. I was working waiting tables and bar tending and got sick 3 weeks ago and haven't been back. Boss told me not to come back until I am 100% and that he covered the schedule without me for the next 2 weeks. I gave my notice. Was sick for 3 week and hope Im getting better. Was a gnarly stomach bug or something. Luckily I live at my moms home.

Anyways, I am realizing now is a great time for me to finally hit the road and start hitching, vagabonding, hoboing, whatever u want to call it. Several years ago I met some cool people on this site. I know I am a minimalist and have happy living with little money and possessions. Just some food and the open road.

I dont do drugs and rarely drink alcohol. I do have a genetic heart condition i take meds for and have a defibrillator implanted in my chest. I live a normal life so don't think any of that will get in my way of traveling.

I am super broke though, want to hit the road but have no gear. Only a small school type backpack. No large pack, no sleeping bag, no multi tool, knife, sleeping pad, none of that stuff! Suggestions? comments? all are welcome!

Reactions: Mankini

Bizarre Odor

Reaction score
Just get a sleeping bag and a jacket and stuff those fuckers in your pack and leave already haha.

Honestly, sounds like you have everything you need besides those two essentials I mentioned above, just the desire to leave is the biggest part.

Bedheadred

Reaction score
Ask your family members if they have any extra stuff you could have. If you're cool with your family that is. If you get some money somehow find an army surplus store. They have cheaper supplies than most camping gear stores. Sleeping bag is the most important. A knife is useful, see if anyone you know has one they'd be willing to give you. I always have 3-4 knives and would gladly give one to a friend in need. Good luck!

phatmatt

Reaction score
Ask your family members if they have any extra stuff you could have. If you're cool with your family that is. If you get some money somehow find an army surplus store. They have cheaper supplies than most camping gear stores. Sleeping bag is the most important. A knife is useful, see if anyone you know has one they'd be willing to give you. I always have 3-4 knives and would gladly give one to a friend in need. Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback/ info! :)

Tripp Dover

Reaction score
Fully agree. Money means little to nothing on the road. I'm 100% firm believer in that Food and travel is free. I've gone weeks without a dollar to my name while remaining full of food, water and mind altering substances. It's what makes this life style almost addicting. Stay positive and just leave the house , it's the hardest part of your journey. Trust me.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Do not recall you @phatmatt, what was your name here a few years ago, perhaps we can re-enact your old info?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads