Newbie about to make the jump

Reaction score
Hello all! Please call me Quote. I found this site randomly through google and I've already fallen in love, It's like I've finally discovered the family I've never knew.

I decided I want to disappear and leave my current life. I've fantasized about this quite a bit over the past few years but I've never done something like this before I'm a complete noob. I'm not sure when I want to return, if ever, but I know it's something I definitely want and need to do. It's always when I'm out wandering the city, not caring where I end up, that I felt free.

I'm not sure when I'm going to do this yet, but I know I want to do it soon, possibly within the month. I've already quit my job and I'm being evicted soon :p.

I have no destination in mind, I'll likely will being traveling west. My plan is to just hop a train and go from there.

Right now, my goal is to educate myself as possible before then but I'm feeling overwhelmed. What general survival tips do you have? Is there a crash course perhaps? Did you start your journey alone?

Reactions: glowbug and wizehop

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Hello Quote, welcome to the site. There isn't really a crash course on how to become a traveler but as you read through the forums you'll find a lot information that'll give you a general idea of what it's like. Read through the Sticky Posts at the top of each sub-forum, they generally contain the most useful information.

To answer your question, I did start out traveling on my own but I quickly started making all sorts of friends. Just keep a clear head about you and you'll be fine.

• Useful
Reactions: VikingAdventurer

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
Just about everything you'll need to learn can be found here on this site. If it's not here, you'll end up meeting others who will share their skills. Now jump!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Is there a crash course perhaps?

in addition to wizehop's advice, be prepared to do a lot of reading. specifically in the 'featured' and 'resources' links at the top of the site :)

dig dig dig and you will find the guides you need...

Art101

Reaction score
Welcome.There is so much info on here its mind boggling.Make use of all you can and hopefully your "crash course" wont be a crash and burn.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies/welcomes:)

Definitely reading up on as much as I can. Excuse the bad introduction btw, this is probably the most spontaneous thing I've ever done and I'm scrambling to soak up as much info as possible. Once I'm on a road and a bit more comfortable I'll edit the OP with a proper intro.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
uh oh!!

watch out!! you used the word "fantasized'...

that is a Very Bad Fucking Word..

you get what you get & you either hate & love what you get & do what you have to get more of it, or you go live somewhere else..

fantasy means giving up.

curiosity & hate & love are flesh & balls & the screaming demands of fairness...

\main thing to avoid in existence is being a *complete* asshole..

fantasy has nothing to do with that..

there are a million ways you can choose to do it.. fuck... 10 hundred million, million, million & more..

just don't be a complete asshole & don't expect that *not* being a complete asshole in a *particular way* will *keep* you from being a complete asshole..

fuck.. unfulfilled fantasies will kill your innocence just about as fast as being kidnapped & assraped by a platoon of north korean militant space monkies..

do not attach your intrinsic self value or perception success to *anything* external to yourself..

not *how* you do what you do,

not *what* you do, if the what is more important than where you should be when you decide your doing..

preconception murderers what should be..

so.. hit the road with either purpose, or the need for freedom..

but do not fantasize..

to travel well is to be a good human...

& being a good human is work..

& the hardest work for humans
is being good
when shit doesn't go the way we wish..

so be carefull,
be hard,
be strong,
be kind,
be loving,
& if you need to kill some fuckwad that turns out to be a lying sack of shit after you put your life into their hands,

don't worry..

you walk with hope & willingness to die before you betray yourself, you will derive all that existence is capable of giving you..

i do not say it will be either fair or enough...

but unless God is a complete fucking cockwhore piece of shit bastard, it should be enough to keep you from being damned..

good luck, & do *not* give up..

only difference between fantasy & life is what you die for.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads