Looking For Train Schedules

nostalgichobo

Reaction score
Hello to all !!! I'm new here and this site looks great. Thanks to the creator! So ... I have hitchhiked all over the country in the past and am now looking at hopping some trains. Originally from Kentucky, the only trains I seen there were the Coal Trains, the ones that didn't look so inviting. I worked as a coal miner and remember how bad the coal felt under my feet when the water flushed it out onto the surface where I stood and worked. (AUGER MINING) Anyhow, I can't imagine laying on a car load of coal for any extended period of time. I would love the box cars, though I know they're mainly out west. As of right now, I am in need of getting back up to Kentucky and I'm sure there are a few coal lines that head up that way via this area I'm in: Kennesaw, Acworth, Marietta & Atlanta. It seems as though I was on this site or digihitch and saw a post that had a link for train schedules. Anyhow, if any of you has anything relevant on the matter, please feel free to disclose. I'm also looking for a travel buddy, gender doesn't matter. I have nowhere in particular that I'm going to, and will be up for anything after the next couple months. I like outdoor camping/squatting, fishing, chess, drinking, harvesting, building lean-to's. Cheers!

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
Where bouts in Kentucky, brother bear? If you're in ATL and utilize the Google button on the Internet machine combined with YouTube may be able to figure it out.. Or just go through and like all of CXR's posts from November 23rd 2010 til now and he will probably just tell you when, where and how to board the train you need!!!

You've asked the rest, now ask the best!!!
CXr - here to help.

Edit**** oh, you aren't going to Kentucky.. Just from there...

But yeah.. Google, YouTube. CXR1037

nostalgichobo

Reaction score
Thanks Dustin. My destination is a small town called Barbourville. It has a CSX coal train route there in town. And I have heard about CSX trains down here in Kennesaw, although I don't know if they are the coal trains that will take me up that far. I will google, youtube, and research CXR's stuff.

urbanflow

Reaction score
My advice? Read this forum before posting. I learned more through creeping on the forums and then googling shit I had questions about than just plain asking.

Few quick tips.
.freights are not Amtrak. Schedules are not concrete and can vary by eight to twenty four (or more) hours.
.don't be afraid to get on any train with a safe ride. Starting out its best to just catch whatever and end up wherever.
.find where the closest yard is and scope it out. Stick to the outside and catch a grainer on the fly and just go.

If you don't know the different cars and what's safe, and what's not, you need to do a lot of research on your own. Its not just about what train goes where and when.

Reactions: TGandChunk

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads