How many of you were/are scared as hell?

ipoPua

Reaction score
im fucking terrified lol. but its better to take a risk than to guarantee stagnation. im absolutely horrified, im leaving my girlfriend of 3nahalf years, my first mature love, t take this trip and i'm -still- not sure if its the right decision. but i know i need to do it regardless. fear should never keep you from your dreams. im sorry youve got a delay dude that sucks:C

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
I left home on my own when I was 18. Went to a rainbowgathering in Ocala Fl, and then hitched to oklahoma.
It was scary sure, and I got picked up by a pedo(that was the wrost of it) but all in all I say it was way worth it. No other reason than I love adventure and it was the greatest experience of my life.
Keep your wits about you and /alwayls/ listen to your gut instinct, even if something is a little sketch, like ride or something, dont do it. Your instincts will carry you far and keep you safe.

laughingisharder

Reaction score
Lol HAHAHAHA yeah seriously dude you hop on the site talk in ig shit about leaving and then pussy out cause your scared you might get locked up for a month or two for skipping probe, plus dude they can't chase you all the fucking way across the country, use a fake name or something, shit the only difference right now between jail and your living condition is you buy your sodas and ramen noodles from wal mart instead of commissary. Hit the road live differently, traveling freight ain't just about how far can you go and getting across the country for free, it's about an alternative to the mundane society that has been created around us.chances are what your going to do is try and find someone to go with you before December and if you don't you might actually have the balls to go at it alone. You'll get somewhere meet some kids travel the country living under bridges and in yards either playing music or drinking your time away, oh wait maybe you'll meet some girl who will house you up for a month and that'll be fun, better yet maybe a communal ogle punk house who composts and pretends to have secrets all day long about how they are saving the community by pooping in a bucket and growing tomatoes in it....oh yeah dude that sounds amazing...fulfills my every dream.

Think differently, there is a lot to do in life as long as you have someone who actually believes in a bohemian style of life to show you the way,

Train core hardcore elitist magazine, hop every line butt necked barefoot backwards with a sleight flange hair on fire dirty face kid style

Up to your ears in wine bottles just to see if while surfing the top of an empty rack you fall of into the water down below lol breaking bottes inside tunnels and shattering glass on the kids car across the knuckle fuck safety live fast die trying, death or glory forever

Haha yeah dude push through your fear if you die you lose and game over hopefully someone else carries your idea on the the future

I died almost once falling off a train after downing a forty or two of two eleven, after which I tried to chase down another train and jumped on it a good seven times at least just to make sure I could foot with a buzz, once your on the train your safe just know your footing so please safety brigade pleasedont start preaching to me about it again. Don't hop on the fly with a bag you can't carry properly or with an untrained dog, or if your afraid of the tons of steel trying to destroy you.actually just don't hop on the fly...unless your a ninja fucking turtle okay. And if you think your going to fall when you try fuck just do something else....buy a fucking greyhound for all I care but it's better then you getting your ass splattered across pour tracks and having the owners get pissed at us and crack down. Think ahead and plan.

Reactions: ipoPua

JoelRailDude

Reaction score
I have to second what laughingisharder just said. You will always find excuses to stay. FEAR is the only thing keeping you from your freedom. You limits end where your fear begins. Just plan whatever the fuck you want, and LEAVE.

I was about to leave soon I was collecting unemployment to save up, Now i got this kick ass job doing whatever work i want with a hot Russian Intern on my side getting paid like 18$ an Hr...Thats my excuse, once that shit is over, I'm done. I'm out, Fuck this shit, I'm leaving. So should you.

frzrbrnd

Reaction score
shit, dude, when you're collecting unemployment is the BEST time to go. one of my roaddogs was on unemployment while we were out on the road and it was awesome. was never really difficult to make the money we needed, haha. but, as with all things, it came to an end eventually.

Reactions: H Hart

H Hart

Reaction score
I'm still a teen an I'm thinkin about busting out. It may seem naive, but I do know a few pretty experienced squatters, and I've done some homework. It's anxious, but were about to get evicted, an where i would end up just isn't where I want to be. It makes me nervous but either I do it now or live caged up. Just know ur def not alone, man.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
why are you giving up the cell phone? it is still a good tool on the road.
Yeah, keep your old smart phone!
Even without phone service you can still use it as a mini computer, maps, weather, camera, calendar, alarm clock, address book, etc.
My old Droid Eris has wifi so I can use it anywhere, just can't make calls or do texting on it.
Even better yet, I plan to get one of those emergency flashlights that has 3 power options(battery, crank, solar) and USB charging port, plus Radio.
Yeah, I said alarm clock. Sometimes you gotta sleep places where really need wanna be out by dawn, and damn sure don't wanna over sleep.
Just set the alarm to vibrate and keep it close to your body.
Don't get rid of your phone!

Reactions: RVLG

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I didn't mean to get this thread of topic with talking about cell phone, just felt it needed to be said.

So back to "being scared". I remember the first time I hitched a ride I felt a combination of fear, excitment and... something else, something that I could not quite put my finger on at the time, some strange longing. Latter I came to realize what it was and how powerful a driving force it was. What it was, was uncertainty. The unknown either draws people in or chases them away. It is at the core of all adventure. When I look down a road that's what I always see ahead of me, a horizon of uncertainty.

H Hart

Reaction score
I didn't mean to get this thread of topic with talking about cell phone, just felt it needed to be said.
So back to "being scared". I remember the first time I hitched a ride I felt a combination of fear, excitment and... something else, something that I could not quite put my finger on at the time, some strange longing. Latter I came to realize what it was and how powerful a driving force it was. What it was, was uncertainty. The unknown either draws people in or chases them away. It is at the core of all adventure. When I look down a road that's what I always see ahead of me, a horizon of uncertainty.

Damn good quote outskirts

SeeYouInIceland

Reaction score
the whole month before my first trip i would wake up in the morning and think "oh shit, this is about to happen." then, as i woke up more and had my coffee that fear would turn to excitement. sort of my morning ritual. one day i stopped a guy with a huge pack and asked him what advice he had for me. he said "keep a level head and always have ambitions, not inhibitions." i think that's especially important on your first trip, having goals to keep you focused. it's good to be afraid sometimes, bad to let the fear take you off your game.

RubyOutlaw

Reaction score
Only upon jumping will you learn that, good or bad, there is always something that will catch you. My first time out- about seven years ago- I was nervous. I had never been able to do something so dramatic as walk away from it all....and I walked away from a lot! But in time I learned to trust the jump and it became the only stable thing in my life. Yes, it is scary. But not scarier than spending your whole life waiting to die.

DregeDE

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
TtRGt-sxAidVLDDoV_9UWcGL08gVjPFLrjhU2Yl2h91uGesSrg.jpg

Boneless

Reaction score
This thread is kinda dead, but still.
Me and a friend of mine are taking off south in the summer of next year (it's winter at the moment, Australia) after finishing our last year of high school and to be honest I'm not scared. I just wanna leave this shithole of a town.

Reactions: Everymanalion

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads