Hello, new and a little scared.

Durp

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Jim and I am from NE Ohio. I am not currently a squatter but due to some recent catastrophies and finacial trouble I will most likely be homeless in a month or so. In all honesty I am a bit scared. At the same time, I am trying to be positive and I see this as an opportunity for self growth and one hell of an adventure. I was born and raised in rural ohio, so I am a hard worker and know how to do a lot of manual labor and building. I know some basic electrical and I am quite a decent plumber. I know how to hang and finish drywall, along with many other construction tasks. I am a professional photographer and videographer. The reason I am on here is because I am trying to prepare myself as much as possible for when I become homeless. This site has so much great information. I am a survivor type and love to camp so I am sure I will make it through this bout of bad luck. Who know maybe I will love the squatting life style and reject main stream society : ) I really do not want to be homeless in Cleveland, Ohio so I am considering pinching all that I have together and catching a train to portland with some camp gear and my camera. I would love to meet a community of people who would be willing to welcome me into their squat. Like I said, I am a hard worker and would love to help out where ever I can and earn my keep. I am very independant and open minded. Is there anyone else from Cleveland on here? What about Portland, Oregon? Is Portland a good place to be homeless? Are there any squats in Cleveland? Most of the homeless I have encountered in the streets of Cleveland seem to be sufering quite a bit in every way possible. It seems like it would not be a pleasent place to squat with the weather conditions and all the gang violence. Is this true? I am looking for any tips or advice anyone can offer me. Thank you.
P.S. I would like to compliment who ever runs and maintains this site. It has so much great information, plus it is so pleasing to the eye! I love all the photos!

MrD

Internet SuperHero
Reaction score
Website
www.sometimesmotion.com
Is Portland a good place to be homeless?

-____-

Anyways, you sound like you have a pretty solid head on ya'. Do some research on here and you can find out any and all information you could want to know about traveling. Get out there and have some fun!

Also, You should post up some photos =D

Onemanbandit

Reaction score
I've done this a couple times, had the job and the apartment and then lost the job and just kinda waited out a month, then to day comes when you fill the trash bin with bullshit you didn't really need and head out with a backpack of things you think you need. Which is always too heavy, the first time you leave. Do you play any music or do anything you could use as a talent to make money with? Your best bet really is to pick a town you know has a good scene for kids like us and then just go downtown and make some friends, spange and buy some booze with someone. I don't know what the weather is like in ohio? was it? but you might wanna consider going south. Best of luck to you, if I was in the states I'd show you the ropes

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
welcome to the site! I would say avoid Portland and a lot the more Northern cities, at least until the winter is over. South is good and there plenty of interesting places to go.

I find that we're kind of like dandelions; never really wanted, constantly overlooked, but we're everywhere, and when there's one of us, there is sure to be more.

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: Ras

Durp

Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words and advice! I will get some pics up as soon as I can. As for gear, I am a musician as well but I was considering leaving my guitar behind since it seems like it would be unnecessary weight. Also considering building a little cart to tow behind my bicycle so I can get some shoulder relief from my pack. Has any one had any experience with bringing a bike and a pack onto a bus or train?

CardBoardBox

Reaction score
You don't want to bring your guitar, but you want to lug around a bike AND a cart behind it? I think that's one hell of a bigger nuisance than your guitar. If you have a pack that fits you well enough, and don't cram a bunch of stuff in it that you don't need, then you're not going to worry too much about your shoulders hurting. Dress in layers, and have things for multi-use. You'll have too much right off the bat, but eventually you'll get a feel for what you need and what you don't need, not just the things you want to have with you. You don't really need to carry much food around with you either if you're kickin around in a city.

Dmac

Reaction score
being scared or apprehensive is a good thing, it is natures way of keeping us from doing stupid things, like diving in a lake before checking the depth. i have found that persons from rural areas usually handle the "roughing it" stuff better than pampered city dwellers. just keep from trusting others too quickly, cuz a lot of those on the road will use you and steal from you if you aren't careful. i would suggest you try to get set up for food stamps before you hit the road. i, myself try to avoid the larger cities, especially places known for gang activity, but that is just me. with any amount of construction skills, or apptitude, try hitting construction sites (new home construction is the best) they usually can use extra labor. it works for me. good luck and remember the only one out there looking out for you, will be you. oh yea, you can learn a lot, and avoid a lot of shit, by taking the time to observe carefully before doing.

Onemanbandit

Reaction score
I play guitar and sing and personally I`d rather leave behind my whole backpack except my sleeping bag than my guitar. My guitar gets me anything I need wherever I am whenever the fuck I want, seems to help with getting rides hitchiking too. You could always try trading your gutiar for a mini travel one at a pawn shop or something. I say do some preliminary runs, go downtown in whatever city you`re in, bring your guitar and a guitar case or a hat or a bucket or something make a sign like `travelling anything helps`or something more witty like `5 dollars to assasinate dick chaney`or something, see how you`re recieved see how comfortable you feel spanging, fuck even try spending the night outdoors. Doing it while you still have the security of your own place to go back to might give you more confidence and who knows you might even meet some awesome people. Good luck

Durp

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all the tips. So a bike is a bad idea? I was thinking of bringing a tent, a sleeping sac, matches and weatherproof lighter, compass, maps, some multi hand tools, water sanitzation tablets, couple days worth of freeze dried travel food for just in case, travel fishing pole, a good knife and multiple layers of clothes. I will have a camera for sure, that is sort of my meal ticket. I can always make a buck taking pictures for people. I would love to bring my guitar but I figured I would use this opportunity to do some long awaited back packing and climbing in the wilderness and my guitar is quite bulky. I am trying to find a travel buddy that I trust, but if I can't I am not afraid to go out on my own.

Onemanbandit

Reaction score
sounds like a good plan, more of a wilderness hiking adventure set up. I more just go from town to town and truckstop to city. Never needed water tablets or anything. hitchiking with a bike is hard but I know a few people who have biked across the country east top west

uncivilize

Reaction score
Portland is easy to be homeless, that's why there's so many, but don't go there unless all you want to be is a bum, there is NO work. However, if you're looking to backpack, the Pacific Northwest is an incredible place to be. If you have a proper fitting pack and use your hip belt correctly, your shoulders should be fine. A bike tour is a good trip, you just have to be well prepared and know what you're doing. Get out there with just a pack, you'll quickly figure out just what you need and don't, that will help you if you ever decide to tour. Safe travels!

jjoshea

Reaction score
ore agun on the whole is a lousy place to be homeless in the winter,the wet is akiller,portland cops have a rep through out the n.w. as a very violent gang. where once n.w. portland was a laid back neighborhood,its now full of yuppies from cali. no jobs at all. i would check out corvallis or down the river in eugene. oly w.a. is another spot,way cool for a capital citi.my advie being new to or a gun,stay out of portland

180 Degrees

Reaction score
From what I hear, Portland wouldn't be the ideal place to squat ... be homeless ... vagabond. The country is huge! There are tons of other places to go and see. Forget the 9-5 for awhile. Just live. Shit, try the Amish communities for a week or so south of you. Hitch to the slabs. Go down to the deep south and shrimp it. If you're insistent on finding work however, go to western North Dakota. The Bakken Shale is booming with oil jobs. They're paying people $15.00-$18.00 / HR just to hire on at McDonald's to keep up with supply and demand. The oil labor pays better though I hear. Cheers!

Durp

Reaction score
oh wow this is from when I was a tramp baby! The only thing good about portland inmho is that I met my life mate there. What a bunch of posers and judgmental bigots in that town tho. damn.

S

shibashakes

I have thought about Portland a lot, is it no good really then?

I know it seems like another silicon valley type but no communities there?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads