Freight Ship Cruises

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
man I grabbed one of those, you though you were paying for a ferry turned out to be a dirty rotten fucking nasty freight ship in Mexico a while back. Interesting but Id rather risk life and limb on a 16 hour flight than 80-120 days at sea with intermodals..Don't get me wrong, I love intermodals and all but only cause they have train tracks underneath.

You know competition is tight when there pulling this shit..if it was cheap enough Id do it just cause its retarded, however if I'm rich I'll fly.

I love the pic of the old people having the time of there life reading on deck. must be day one if you ask me. By day 3 his wife is freaking.. Charles get me of this fucking boat! why do you always get me into this shit!

"The mood in informal" no fucking shit retard, your on a god damn cargo ship!

Redd Capp

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Its like 15 days for a transpacific and 8 days for a transatlantic
http://www.cruisepeople.co.uk/freighters.htm has slow tramp cruises for 69 days
http://www.boatnerd.com/trips/ is a listing of Great Lakes Freight lottery that ship companys hold to raise money for charity

North Atlantic Cargo/Passenger Services

Great Lakes -North Atlantic Routes
Transatlantic passenger service to or from Chicago and Cleveland-Twice Monthly (April/November) - PZM POLISH STEAMSHIP COMPANY (mv's ISA, ISOLDA, ISADORA, IRYDA, IRMA, 35,600 dwt tons, 6 passengers each) - Amsterdam (IJmuiden) to Cleveland and Burns Harbor, IN (for Chicago). Tramp voyages from the Great Lakes. Round voyages also available. This boat goes all over the place.-PassageEnquiry@aol.com <PassageEnquiry@aol.com>

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i don't understand how this could be enticing to anyone besides rich people with money to blow and a fear of flying. every single route is easily 3x the price of a plane ticket. id love to give it a go, but fuck paying 3,500 just to get to australia. hell, a carnival cruise line trip would be half as much. ive been wanting to do this for a while, but i just don't understand why it's so damn expensive. you could be a crew member on a yacht for one-tenth the cost of this.

Reactions: Asar
K

Kim Chee

I can only imagine some people want to travel this way because of the length of time it takes to get where you are going. Also, since freighters aren't made for comfort and that
amenities are scarce that the length of travel is why your wife now wants a divorce. Honey, can you call for that helicopter? The saltwater shower is fucking my skin up and the exhaust fumes are
killing me. On the other hand, riding next to a container full of vibrators coming from Chyna has got to be a great experience. Be sure to bring bolt cutters and batteries and get on one of
these freighters to SAVE your marriage.

Asar

Reaction score
If it was super cheap I'd consider doing something like that, but damn... 100 GBP a day? Some of the routes are 70+ days long. $7000 to sit on a boat filled with containers just doesn't seem like something rich folks would get a kick out of. Pretty interesting though. They must really be hard up for money in the international commerce sector.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yeah, especially since there's only room for like 6 passengers or so per ship.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
I can only imagine some people want to travel this way because of the length of time it takes to get where you are going. Also, since freighters aren't made for comfort and that
amenities are scarce that the length of travel is why your wife now wants a divorce. Honey, can you call for that helicopter? The saltwater shower is fucking my skin up and the exhaust fumes are
killing me. On the other hand, riding next to a container full of vibrators coming from Chyna has got to be a great experience. Be sure to bring bolt cutters and batteries and get on one of
these freighters to SAVE your marriage.

This is kinda interesting - I looked more into some of the amenities - like food and it looks like it's there. However, these sealed containers being transported are where many of the bad insects, rats and other vermin also come into the states.

I can only imagine the livestock on these ships (DO BRING A FLY SWATTER, hehehe). But then again - looking at some of the old timer groups on board - can't be that bad - can it? I would sooooo have to have a wifi ship, lots of games with me as well as books hehe. Oh and honey (speaking to the bf now), you also need several hobbies as well. Interesting trip but ....

Kabukimono

Reaction score
I looked into this some time ago and came to the same conclusion you guys came too ... It's fucking expensive for the lack of everything there is.

I found out a cheapish way to get from Europe to North/South America (and vice-versa) with the re-positioning ferries. When the low season hit's in Europe the ferries head to the Americas ... on them very specific dates, you can sail across the pond for as cheap as $10 a day and were talking week and a half - two week voyage, no seventy day stuff.

K.m

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads