East to West hitchhiking?

London Ben

Reaction score
Hi there,

Next summer, I'm planning on flying to the East coast of America and hitchhiking towards Cali (where I will squat for a considerable time, having experienced suffering and abuse at home) . The thing is, being British, I have no experience with hitchhiking, or American culture. But I do have experience with travelling in South Eastern Asia, so that should help me along.

Any tips and general help would be appreciated.

Thanks

bryanpaul

Reaction score
try to make it to truck stops /travel plazas while your hitching....ALWAYS make sure to ask your ride if there's some kind of civilization where your getting dropped of(places to get food and water).... there's my 2 tips......here's a quick introduction to american culture:

Reactions: Sen and DaisyDoom

London Ben

Reaction score
haha, thanks.

I was hoping to stay over in America for a few years. How easy would it be to find a job, (cash in hand preferably). I have little to no qualifications.

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
we're capitalists, so I,m sure some one will be willing to capitalize on anything you can offer. i.e. cheap labor

Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
I wish I was on the road right now. I'd be happy to be road dogs with you. I hitched the whole country. And SERIOUSLY? Larry the cable guy and Squidbillies... So totally not a good representation of US culture. Southern US, yes. But I'm from the Union, not the Confederacy. We're a lot different.
Hitchhiking culture is WAY different then in, say Australia where you stick your thumb out in the middle of the city and you get 500 people stopping to pick you up. Movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hitcher have paranoid the people of this country into believing everybody that hitch hikes is a serial killer. News flash: I've been picked up by a guy in a suit that told me he's hitchhiked before too, going too and from work.
Be aware of the assholes that try to rape people, none of which I ever needed to worry about. I'm 6'4" 280 lbs/127 kilos. The best recommendation I can make is carry a large back pack, if the cops stop you, offer them to search your bag before they ask, and have a knife buried in the bottom of the bag. I never had them search my back pack. Stuff you're carrying with probably be searched. The only thing I have ever had searched was an ammo box I was spanging with that I got from an Army Navy store.

sideshowbxb

Reaction score
if you have any weapons they will prolly ask when they search you also, hey, about truck stops, i never had great luck hitching from these spots, in fact be careful of the truck stops i do warn you, watch for lot lizards (local addicts, prostitutes, alcoholics . . . ) they sometimes can be a bit territorial, also, if youve tracked thourgh south east asia, damn bro, thats some wild shit, youd prolly make it down here in florida where im at pretty good, i hate this state, the enviornment i imagine is quite similar to that region of the world, im getting the hell out of here though, also, be careful and respectful of the cops, some states are pretty particular about making sure there is no persons along the highways which is where i like to hitch at, but i dont hitch like most, i dont stick my thumb out, i figure the guitar on my back says enough, and usually, they stop

Puckett

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
ive never had a problem at truck stops. i just sit there with my sign that says west or south depending where im going and just hang out. talk to people when they talk to me and just be nice. i never sit at a truck stop for more than 3hrs. i always have gotten a ride and good ones at that, even at 4am. going west is not hard at all.

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
also, be careful and respectful of the cops, some states are pretty particular about making sure there is no persons along the highways which is where i like to hitch at, but i dont hitch like most, i dont stick my thumb out, i figure the guitar on my back says enough, and usually, they stop
Just stand before the sign that says to some affect no pedestrians. Worked for the CHP. Arizona is a buncha faggots though. Don't go there

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
ive never had a problem at truck stops. i just sit there with my sign that says west or south depending where im going and just hang out. talk to people when they talk to me and just be nice. i never sit at a truck stop for more than 3hrs. i always have gotten a ride and good ones at that, even at 4am. going west is not hard at all.
Yeah, I've only ever had a problem at one Flying Jays, and that was in Phoenix AZ. It wasn't with lizards though, it was with the employees there, thinking they were hot shit

sideshowbxb

Reaction score
being like a ninja is the best thing, im silent somewhat most of the time, dont mess around you know what i mean? well i dont know, the next time i hitch maybe ill hit up one of these flying js, but talking and the gift of gab is something i lack, im a loner

London Ben

Reaction score
also, if youve tracked thourgh south east asia, damn bro, thats some wild shit, youd prolly make it down here in florida where im at pretty good,

I found trekking Asia far more easy than travelling in the UK. Everyone is so much nicer there. Hell, I nearly got stabbed down in South London but nothing dangerous happened to me thousands of miles away in a foreign country.

I wish I was on the road right now. I'd be happy to be road dogs with you. I hitched the whole country. And SERIOUSLY? Larry the cable guy and Squidbillies... So totally not a good representation of US culture. Southern US, yes. But I'm from the Union, not the Confederacy. We're a lot different.
Hitchhiking culture is WAY different then in, say Australia where you stick your thumb out in the middle of the city and you get 500 people stopping to pick you up. Movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hitcher have paranoid the people of this country into believing everybody that hitch hikes is a serial killer. News flash: I've been picked up by a guy in a suit that told me he's hitchhiked before too, going too and from work.
Be aware of the assholes that try to rape people, none of which I ever needed to worry about. I'm 6'4" 280 lbs/127 kilos. The best recommendation I can make is carry a large back pack, if the cops stop you, offer them to search your bag before they ask, and have a knife buried in the bottom of the bag. I never had them search my back pack. Stuff you're carrying with probably be searched. The only thing I have ever had searched was an ammo box I was spanging with that I got from an Army Navy store.

Man, it would be awesome to travel with someone who knows their shit. I guess it would be interesting to do it alone aswell...

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
It is interesting to do it alone, its actually how I learned. Just a tip: When ever you get into a city, find where the street kids hang out. Why? They can tell you about free food, if its legal to panhandle, and if you're part of the other 95% of the hitch hiker population of the US, drugs. My number one thing I go find them is for free food and good places to spange and assholes to watch out for. *bares his arms* Never touched heroine. Never will. Don't do that shit, seen too many people fucked up on it.

sideshowbxb

Reaction score
I found trekking Asia far more easy than travelling in the UK. Everyone is so much nicer there. Hell, I nearly got stabbed down in South London but nothing dangerous happened to me thousands of miles away in a foreign country.

Man, it would be awesome to travel with someone who knows their shit. I guess it would be interesting to do it alone aswell...
to be honest with you Ben, this country is going to be just as bad as your London crime wise most likely if not worse, but then again, you got to be careful anywhere you go, any major cities, watch for the bull, you know what i mean? now in the country-side of our counrty, at least my expierences in Texas, Oklahoma, the south midwest, you will meet some nice people, so long as you aint causin no trouble, which you dont sound like that type of dude, theres good people to be found here, so keep your heart, you know what i mean, and your usually safe, but i alsways keep on eye out also, but it sounds like you do too, if something tells you not to jump in that persons vehicle if your offered a ride, dont ride with them, there weirdos lurking about with devilish intents, youll get use to it, i dont like florida, but there is good people down here too, be careful if your in the southern states, i dont know this for certain because i aint traveled in these places, but i heard Mississippi and Alabama is no place for travelers, but from all the places ivee been to, evry place has its pros and its cons, keep researching things, that way you know what your getting into, theres a website i like to use to look at crime in different cities, you know, just to get the feel of the people before i make my way there, http://www.city-data.com/, this might help you

Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
This post is OLLLDD, and I don't even quite know how I got to it. Too much time on STP, that's fo' sho'. Either way, I commend your aspiration of coming to visit this great and 'glorious' country of ours, bbuuuttt staying in the U.$. for several years might not be all that feasible, at least not at this point in your life. You can get a tourist visa, for up to 90 days, and if you are planning on staying longer than that, you have to apply for a B-2 visa (travel, tourism, etc.), and I'm pretty sure that they would require some sort of documentation that you are financially 'solvent.' Not sure how much THAT would entail, but it's just that it's hard for ANYONE to find work in this economy right now, esp. if you don't have proper documentation (work visa, and that's a WHOLE 'NUTHER class of monster). I'm really not trying to put a damper on your plans, and they may have changed by now, but yeah.... visas are something that not everyone considers, in terms of international travel to Amerikkkkkaahhh.

The east - west trip DOES rock, though... don't get me wrong. ;) We have some beauttifffuullll countryside, once you get past them there cornfields that go on, and on, and oooonnnnn..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads