Books vs. Digital Information - specific resources

MetalBryan

Reaction score
I love physical books and I love physically writing. Here's three books (with plenty of space for my own note taking) in my pack that I feel are more or less "necessary" but I'd really love to see a discussion about your favorite books vs. their digital counterparts. Having everything contained in a smart phone or tablet is incredibly convenient and this item is useful for other applications, but that puts a lot of expectations on one single piece of expensive gear.

1. Daily planner that includes a calendar vs. Smart Phone notepad & Google Calendar

2. Rand McNally Compact Road Atlas vs. Assisted GPS (+/- cellular signal)

3. The Wright Guide to Free and Low-cost Campgrounds vs. freecampsites.net

Groundscore

Reaction score
Anything that you consider to be essential (within reason) you should have a physical copy of, just in case the 'net goes down where you are, no service, broken device, etc. Something such as maps are extremely valuable and handy to have on hand, as compared to recreational reading, which could be anything of interest, and there isn't any reason that couldn't be an ebook.

BobDole

Reaction score
I used to have 11,201 print books in a storage unit library that I maintained. Wrote the manual/guide on how to do it as well. After awhile, another opportunity presented itself, so I sold off almost all the books in my library. Never went with the opportunity (which was a good thing in hindsight). I still have 300-500 print books (not counting comics), but seeing as how I don't believe in personal property, I share them freely with my family in a communal type setting (sorta like what the slabs has I suppose). I have digital copies of all the books I currently have, and most of the books I had in that old library as well. I've come to love my Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen (only 8GB but I may upgrade it to a 16GB or 32GB if opportunity presents itself there), mostly due to it's fabric case. I'd love one with a microSD card slot (used to have a Sony PRS-T1 but it eventually got a dead spot and stopped working), but I dont want to shell out more money or change my setup tbh. I'd prefer a colour e-reader for my digital comics (I started the Archie Preservation Project so that way I didnt have to worry about my comics back home while traveling), but theyre all so expensive, and the modern ones don't seem to have microSD card slots.

Books are very important sources of information, and I've noticed a lot of digital sources of information becoming lazier. e-Books are great because you can carry millions with you on microSD cards or flash drives/hard drives, but nothing will beat the print book in terms of aesthetics. That being said though, I'd recommend using an e-reader. Sorry for digging up a dead thread again, just felt the need to share my experience on the matter.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads