Advice on essentials to bring for a first timer

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
The whole tshirt filter crap i did actually made a big difference in the quality of water i was getting.But i also boiled the shit out of it for 5-10 mins then chucked the container back into the river to cool it down.Then just slowly sipped it thru the night to get my body use to whatever the hell was in it.

Never had any issues doing it that way.And i was tired as fuck of walking around the city and found a park near the stream and just chopped my way through then built a decent camp for a few days.So wish i brought a fishing pole their were a bunch of big ass fish swimming up and down just teasing the crap out of me lol.

Where i was lancaster just on the outskirts of the hood near the water treatment plant.Never caught anything from being around that body of water.

Nowadays i can find water easily as i know what to look for and where to get it lol.

No filters for me if i can improvise something then so be it.

Id also recommend a good fire kit too.Thats a big part of my kit actually.Firesteel.com makes some of the best ones around.Then get a old mag bar that the us army still issues.And i carry a fire piston for shits n gigs.

Id say by far my favorite piece of gear is the old modular sleep system which is an amazing system for $80.I have no doubt that system in good shape can go down past -0.I've slept in the 15's with it and was toasty as could be.Just button the hood down and wa lah you are your own heater via your breath lol.So glad i brought the whole system along its saved my ass numerous times.

Even helped my roadog out and let em borrow my black bag for the night and it was below 30F that night and i was still warm with the green bag.Though i woke up at 5 am from the damn cold lol.

Also you might wanna invest in a decent thermarest mattress for $30-$40 they make life alot easier and comfortable.Glad i bought one.

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
walmart, in the fabrics section, they have this really cool micro netting. its black and shiny, and a coupla yards of it is only 5 or 6 bucks. i mean to pick up a piece soon. saw a guy on youtube use it and i wanna try it out. i'll let u know how it works out... also, like i said, learn to identify wax myrtle. rub the leaves on you to repel insects, boil the leaves, scrape the wax off the top of the water after it cools, make bug repellant candles, drink the water after removing the wax if u have diarhea, etc...in the west, desert, high desert, semi arid lands, sagebrush, mugwort, wormwood... all repel bugs in various applications... a lotta natural things out there bro.....

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
from april to about mid june below a line from about richmond va/memphis tn/witchita ks/ las vegas nv/ bakersfield ca then you dont need that heavy a sleep system as long as you are NOT at altitude. say a system good down to 30F

That's kind of misguided. While I'd say you're mostly correct, I certainly remember temperatures below 30F in that time frame far south of Bakersfield.

Alright so here's what I think:

0-20 days on the road:
1.) cell phone/iPod/scanner (if on trains)/and chargers;
2.) relevant documents (maps/atlases/notebooks);
3.) hygienic things - tooth care (THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING: TOOTHBRUSH, TOOTHPASTE, FLOSS, MOUTHWASH! DENTAL PROBLEMS FUCK YOU UP AND COST $$$!!!), deodorant (please use it if you're going to be around people), shaving stuffs if you prefer a clean shave, HAND SANITIZER, basic first aid: those kits they sell are ridiculous but a few bandaids, antiseptic, and some disposable latex/nitrile gloves are good ideas. Drugs may also be good: ibuprofen, diphenhydramine are most important in my eyes.
4.) Clothes: 0-20 days, one full change of clothes, at least 2xunderwear/socks. Pants aren't as important, but the stuff closest to your skin will definitely need changing after a few days. 20+ days, maybe add another pair, depending on how often you want to go to laundromats. I think if I did a long term trip again I'd carry some gym shorts or something lightweight to change into at a laundromat so I could wash everything.
5.) Sleeping stuffs: look at the weather for where you want to be and figure it out. I think a 20F bag is the best all around variety, but I mostly stick to the west coast, usually the southwest. Also, pads are infinitely better than cardboard. Inflatables can be lighter, more compactable, and comfier, but a bit more fragile. Widerstand has a good video on making a "Condom" to wrap around the inflatable pads to protect them from elements.
5a.) I think a tarp is best put in this section. It's nice to not roll out your stuff right on dirt or sand or whatever. I used to use a little 8'x10' tarp that was perfect. Also, hammocks. I have one and love it. You can use them in boxcars! And in most areas you'll be able to find someplace to hang one. It's nice to get off the ground.
6.) Other stuff: matches/lighters, moleskine (for blisters), reading materials for when you're bored, binocular/monocular (my monocular is probably my favorite piece of equipment), paracord...I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff but it's getting excessive.

In addition to the obvious basics (food and water) this is really all you need.

I strongly recommend you and everyone else check out Widerstand's videos. His "A pack to live out of" series is top notch.

CXr - tl;dr watch Widerstand's videos, I bring too much random junk.

Reactions: p4r4d0x

Mongo

Reaction score
cxr's mentioning of the gym shorts is actually a really good recommendation.

3rdEyeVision

Banned
Reaction score
That's kind of misguided. While I'd say you're mostly correct, I certainly remember temperatures below 30F in that time frame far south of Bakersfield.

Alright so here's what I think:

0-20 days on the road:
1.) cell phone/iPod/scanner (if on trains)/and chargers;
2.) relevant documents (maps/atlases/notebooks);
3.) hygienic things - tooth care (THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING: TOOTHBRUSH, TOOTHPASTE, FLOSS, MOUTHWASH! DENTAL PROBLEMS FUCK YOU UP AND COST $$$!!!), deodorant (please use it if you're going to be around people), shaving stuffs if you prefer a clean shave, HAND SANITIZER, basic first aid: those kits they sell are ridiculous but a few bandaids, antiseptic, and some disposable latex/nitrile gloves are good ideas. Drugs may also be good: ibuprofen, diphenhydramine are most important in my eyes.
4.) Clothes: 0-20 days, one full change of clothes, at least 2xunderwear/socks. Pants aren't as important, but the stuff closest to your skin will definitely need changing after a few days. 20+ days, maybe add another pair, depending on how often you want to go to laundromats. I think if I did a long term trip again I'd carry some gym shorts or something lightweight to change into at a laundromat so I could wash everything.
5.) Sleeping stuffs: look at the weather for where you want to be and figure it out. I think a 20F bag is the best all around variety, but I mostly stick to the west coast, usually the southwest. Also, pads are infinitely better than cardboard. Inflatables can be lighter, more compactable, and comfier, but a bit more fragile. Widerstand has a good video on making a "Condom" to wrap around the inflatable pads to protect them from elements.
5a.) I think a tarp is best put in this section. It's nice to not roll out your stuff right on dirt or sand or whatever. I used to use a little 8'x10' tarp that was perfect. Also, hammocks. I have one and love it. You can use them in boxcars! And in most areas you'll be able to find someplace to hang one. It's nice to get off the ground.
6.) Other stuff: matches/lighters, moleskine (for blisters), reading materials for when you're bored, binocular/monocular (my monocular is probably my favorite piece of equipment), paracord...I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff but it's getting excessive.

In addition to the obvious basics (food and water) this is really all you need.

I strongly recommend you and everyone else check out Widerstand's videos. His "A pack to live out of" series is top notch.

CXr - tl;dr watch Widerstand's videos, I bring too much random junk.

Very nice dude. Thank you

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
here is a vid of my pack out... NOTE... IT IS OVERKILL.... I have been known to hit the woods and not touch a paved road again for a month, nor see another human being... My pack is modeled after a "bug out" bag for this reason.... the short list i originally posted is more than enough and some things you may not even use.... anyways, here ya go....

Psi em

Reaction score
I just got an EBT card!

You can use it to get baking soda. There's a lady on here who talks about using sodium bicarbonate to clean clothes. There's a ton of stuff you can do with sodium bicarbonate and it's EBT Approved.

You can get Peppermint Oil with the EBT card, mix it with the baking soda and have insect repellent soap.
---
Oh... um... I agree with getting a little emergency fire kit. It's tiny, could fit in a lil' Altoids tin. A flint and some scrap cottony fluffy brushy tinder is all you need. You never know when you'll get stuck during a massive temp drop. Out of 5 people, somebody should have a lighter but... emergency kit is still a plus.
---
Paper coffee filters filter water and make good emergency toilet paper. I just filter debri out of rain water. Stream water is really sketchy with the chemicals, pesticides, oils, anti-freeze... silver glittery stuff. I stick to rainwater mixed with powdered drink mix--a bit redundant.
---
Tarps > Tents
You can get a fancy camping tarp like a hammock rain fly.
Then there's the utility tarps like at home improvement stores.
And then there's the $1 clear plastic tarps that can be reinforced with packaging tape.
Tarp Craft is an art. Learning how to make tarp shelters can save you a lot of pack space & $$.

Reactions: thapoet

3rdEyeVision

Banned
Reaction score
here is a vid of my pack out... NOTE... IT IS OVERKILL.... I have been known to hit the woods and not touch a paved road again for a month, nor see another human being... My pack is modeled after a "bug out" bag for this reason.... the short list i originally posted is more than enough and some things you may not even use.... anyways, here ya go....

Nice dude! great vid. Thanks for posting it on this thread breh

Pappy

Reaction score
Id say by far my favorite piece of gear is the old modular sleep system which is an amazing system for $80.I have no doubt that system in good shape can go down past -0.I've slept in the 15's with it and was toasty as could be.Just button the hood down and wa lah you are your own heater via your breath lol.So glad i brought the whole system along its saved my ass numerous times.

would a modular sleep system keep you dry sleeping out in the rain? how much does yours weigh?

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Well i've slept under a bridge in the outskirts of new orleans and that bridge apparently had a massive leak which i wasn't aware of.But it was raining through the night and i shit you not i had at least and inch of water around me and my bag and i was completely dry.Thanks to the Bivy cover it really displaces water really well and won't really absorb much.

Me and my road dog were surprised everything was as dry as could be lol.

They say the whole system is 8lbs which i think might be correct.But id say 10lbs.But i lug the whole system around and i sure as hell don't mind the bulk because when i lay down i sleep like a damn king and love it.Plus its pretty hard to beat.And once you figure out the compression sack it'll really pack down pretty good.

I've just ditched the whole stuff sack and just put the whole system in my bag that way it doesn't lose its loft and i still have plenty of room for my gear.You sure as hell won't be able to cram that system into a Medium size alice or any pack that is that size.I just strapped it to the outside under the pack in its stuff sack no problem.

You can get the whole system for $80 last time i looked now you might be able to get it for $65 or so off ebay.

Best money i have spent bare none.

Reactions: Pappy

GinGin

Reaction score
Alot of good advice and information on this thread, im gonna be leaving for the road this May, and this definitely helped in giving me an idea of what to bring and how to be prepared..thanks for sharing all!

MFB

Reaction score
I quick scanned this thread as it is quite wordy so apologies if this is a redundancy...but I believe I have not seen one important item...illumination!

A headlamp and back up flashlight, plus replacement batteries. Always for me.

-Also I keep a cheap kindle im my dry bag. Its charge lasts forever as the screen is not back lit (it actually looks like a page from a book, which I like) and its small and light. Much easier than trading out books. Plus alot of the old good shit (thoreau, emerson, twain, etc) is free on amazon.

One last note, personally I try not to carry cotton in my clothes bag. Takes forever to dry and sucks when you're sweating. Cotton kills. I get all my shirts and longjohns from military surplus, the DriDuke synethetic fabrics Air Force gets. (thier long sleaves even have the little thumbholes to keep your metacarpals warm with full use of your fingers.) The roll up far more compact that cotton and literally take 5 minutes to dry from soaking wet.

Reactions: thapoet

AlyKat

Reaction score
Multi purpose things.
Baking soda can be used as deodorant, toothpaste, use it to wash your clothes and to take that death stench out, good for washing up your body. also good for an insect repellant (for the ground) around your camp, and many other purposes. It is light, incredibly cheap and lasts a long time.

it's been said before, but really. really. really. really. learn to make fire in a couple different ways, and have an emergency (lazy) kit on you.

it is also worth learning to make shelters in the wilderness.

keep your mora close.

it's also been said before but extra socks.

waterproof everything worth waterproofing - i use garbage bags and zip lock bags. notably your socks and fire essentials.

bandana. so many uses.

before you head out, trial run your pack for a couple days. try to live only out of it - become familiar with it. where things are, where to store them, etc. It helps!

I bought a wind-up LED flashlight from walmart when I first started traveling. it was only like 12 bucks. lasted me forever. no batteries necessary and waterproof. might be worth looking into. I am sure they still have them. Best part - it floated and had a little clip on it so that you could secure it to your belt or whatever.

Emergency food. Beef Jerky is good. other light non perishable stuff can work too. Maybe a field stripped MRE or something.

spices. turn bad days into semi-tolerable ones. I recommend those little containers that allow you to ground pepper or whatever as you need them.

My clothing usually has the capacity to carry all of my emergency items. fire, many yards of paracord, (including in my boot laces,) or made into a necklace or bracelet, wrapped around my belt, wrapped around my knife handle, etc. maps, cc, rr atlas, road atlas etc. -- When you lose shit - and it will happen - it is good to know that you have most of the things you need with you at all times. Limit this to only necessary items.

Knowledge = less weight. invest some time learning some bushcraft skills and becoming familiar with plants and their uses for the area that you will be traveling in. Everything you need is all around you.

I am a big tarp fan. But you should also invest some time in learning various knots. Saved my ass plenty of times. And different situations truly call for different knots. It is an important form of knowledge, an art and skill. You can set up any kind of shelter, and rig up your pack securely in a lot of different ways. The uses are unlimited.

A couple fish hooks + some of the nylon in that paracord makes for some good eatin if you're in the right place.

I second the BIG ASS sharpie. makes flying super efficient and makes sure people can actually see what you wrote. water proof this but keep it somewhere readily accessible.

My favorite. An emergency blanket. not the crappy kind from walmart. the legit military surplus or equivalent kind. line your sleeping bag with it and your nights will never be the same. ahahaha so warm it's ridiculous. like a little piece of luxury on the road. I throw cardboard underneath me, and have the emergency blanket on top of me (in the sleeping bag with me). Survived fucked up winters with that combo. It blocks the wind really well even while it is in your sleeping bag. It can be in the 30's or lower and I will wake up -too hot- sometimes and have to move it to the side. It is great if you can get one with eye-holes at the end so you can use it as an improvised shelter element. like a tarp really. Folds up nice and small, lightweight, but more than worth it's weight in gold.

Bring something to read. Because waiting 3 days to catch out - that point where you start talking to yourself.... not the best place to be haha. A harmonica or _something_.

Most of the weight in my pack is water. next to that is food, then clothes. Everything else you might want is more weight but it is also the creature comforts. Pack way lighter than you think, because you won't be using most of the crap you throw in there. It gets stupid really fast lugging all of that crap around.

Reactions: Psi em and GinGin

Ayurveda78

Reaction score
Water filtration is definetly nice.. As stated above tent/tarp methods to stay dry. warm for nw/west coastal travel. Wet is no good even morning fog marine layer is enough moisture most of year. Can opener like a p38. Toilet paper. BOOTs or Good pair hiking shoes and socks. very important take care of feet.Knife. Fire starting method.. Even a lightweight simple travel stove with fuel tablet or such. Mess kitRope or twine.. Dental floss needle.. Bungees/carabiners..flashlight. Compass if really in woods. Limit clothes they get heavy and canned goods. Of course a decent pack

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads