Advice on essentials to bring for a first timer

sucio

Reaction score
Im from memphis. Right now . im in bloomington, IN
I prefer tea tree oil over DEET, but mosquitos don't seem to like my blood too much, they don't attack me as bad as they do some people. I knew this guy who had like industrial strength DEET that you were supposed to dillute, he put it on without diluting it, when he picked up a Styrofoam cup, the cup started to melt to his DEETy hand... Fuck all that

Mongo

Reaction score
it's cool to have company and all but you'll get places faster and less sidetracked if you're by yourself plus you'll have plenty of company with each ride and sometimes you can get housed up by your ride.

mob in the cities as a group, travel alone

oh yeah these bungees are pretty good for tyin stuff to your pack, also if your a light sleeper ear plugs.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z464/tarpaflexusa/Red_bungee.jpg

Reactions: sucio and thapoet

Mongo

Reaction score
I prefer tea tree oil over DEET, but mosquitos don't seem to like my blood too much, they don't attack me as bad as they do some people. I knew this guy who had like industrial strength DEET that you were supposed to dillute, he put it on without diluting it, when he picked up a Styrofoam cup, the cup started to melt to his DEETy hand... Fuck all that

yeah I tried the natural way. Let's just say that did not work at all for me, but to each their own.

3rdEyeVision

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score

Holy balls that dude is definitely fucked. But yeah I use tea tree oil religously it's antibacterial and tingles when you put it on. I don't mind that smell either.

3rdEyeVision

Banned
Reaction score
it's cool to have company and all but you'll get places faster and less sidetracked if you're by yourself plus you'll have plenty of company with each ride and sometimes you can get housed up by your ride.

mob in the cities as a group, travel alone

oh yeah these bungees are pretty good for tyin stuff to your pack, also if your a light sleeper ear plugs.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z464/tarpaflexusa/Red_bungee.jpg

Noice! thanks broda. I'll keep that advice in mind.

travelin

Reaction score
quart and gallon ziplocks. put everything into ziplocks. double bag any electronics or paper.

expensive but check out katydyn water filters. there is a lot of different models and sizes. pick one that works for you.

plan on using about a gallon a day of water. this is for drinking and washing. you can get away with a lot less on cooler days. know that when you feel thirst your body is already at least a quart low on water. small sips every little while is best. have some electrolyte solution to mix in with water every now and then.

dental floss to use on your teeth and to use along with various sized needles to sew with.

things will come undone, seams will rip, dental floss is tough and holds well.

thats all i got right now

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
Leave your tent. You probably won't use it unless you're planning on homebumming the outskirts of town... A tarp will suit fine.. Need a tent? Cut some
Natural stakes and a cut to length stick..learn how to rig a tarp. Viola!! You have a tent. 88% of the stuff in your bag will never see the light of day.

Reactions: sucio

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
and for awesomeness, if u can pick up a micro fiber towel, at least 32 x 32, you wont regret it... i'm with dustin on the tent. i rarely pack a tent.... tarp it....

3rdEyeVision

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all of these solid tips you guys. I really appreciate it. Always feel free to come back and add something if you forgot. I can use all the advice I can get. Peace.

3rdEyeVision

Banned
Reaction score
expensive but check out katydyn water filters. there is a lot of different models and sizes. pick one that works for you

You're the second person to recommend a water filter. Is water really that bad on the road? It never occured to me that I would NEED a water filter you know?

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Water filters huh lol.

Never had to use one but i've made do with making my own to filter out water out of a stream i found in the city.Just use your tshirt and do a few overlapping layers to block out crap from getting into your container.I have only had to resort to doing this method once out of the 9 months i been on the road for.

I didn't have a waterkey at the time and i didn't have a decent multi tool to open spigots that you see in the city.Get a damn 4 way water key from Lowes for like $11 or something.They are much cheaper on ebay for about $6.Those things are worth their weight in gold good sir.

I need to get one myself but i have good luck finding water wherever but it would be handy.

Far as a water quailty goes its pretty decent.If you gotta use your water key take in that water that is inside of that spigot has been in the hot sun all day and prolly has some crap growing in it.So crack the spigot open and let her run for about a min to clear all the crap out.That way you will get cold clean water :D.

Also get a decent multi tool gerbers are pretty good for $40 its what i got and has kept me happy.Don't skimp on them thats for sure.Least $30 or so.

Oh and get a few sharpie magnum markers for making signs and what not.Makes life easier lol.

I'll throw up a post of my load out once i get these new clips in for my bag then ill show pics of what i take with me and what works for me.

Reactions: Psi em

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
i spent 25 bones onna frontier pro water filter for emergencies. i use it... mostly because i just dont hang out in the city. i like the woods. and sneakin into ppl's backyards is risky, so i filter everything from ditch water to hubcaps filled on the side of the road. the water key is a great idea to. had one a long time ago, needta get another one....

sucio

Reaction score
Im from memphis. Right now . im in bloomington, IN
I don't know if I read that right bl3w but why would you drink out of a random stream in the city? Why didn't you just go into Mc Donalds or someplace and get fresh clean water for free? A folded up shirt won't filter parasites or jardia, or whatever. I wouldn't recommend drinking from a stream in any city unless you boil it or properly filter it, but why would you drink from a stream if you're in the city? You're said you're goin to nationals 3rd? If so don't drink live water in the woods either. Dirty kids bathe and swim in that water. There's always a few kids who get jardia, don't be that kid. Find a kitchen or a water buffalo.

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
Sawyers squeeze filter..hands down..
If you're that type of person... Personally I don't use one on the road. But I would go with this filter. Pricey, but it seriously is good for like 100,000,000 squeezings before you change the filter..

I'm not much on links so google it.

travelin

Reaction score
no matter what anyone tells you, there are only some very small areas of the united states where its fully safe to drink water straight from a stream.

this is one piece of gear i would not compromise on, do some research and get a good water filter.

if you are just gonna megabus to another city and then hang out on the streets, then most of the actual camping type gear we have mentioned is not gonna do you any good.

you wanna poke around in the woods and off the highways and railways on the way to wherever you are going, then camping gear is highly desirable.

there are no points given for being all badassed and too tough to have an item that will either save your ass or keep you out of a hospital or morgue.

there are no points given for purposly being dirty and crawling with disease.

from april to about mid june below a line from about richmond va/memphis tn/witchita ks/ las vegas nv/ bakersfield ca then you dont need that heavy a sleep system as long as you are NOT at altitude. say a system good down to 30F

anything above that and ANY altitude then i recommend a sleep system that will be good down to 0F.

any time after late october north or south id recomend a fully water proof system good to -20F.

year round in the rocky mountains or the west coast right on the ocean except san diego you will want the heavier system. the west coast right on the ocean gets COLD at night even in summer and if you're up over 6000 feet just about any time of year it can get cold as shit at night.

desert gets cold at night also.

there is not much more miserable than being damp and cold in freezing temps.

Reactions: Zoetica

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads