Greyhound loophole

croc

Last year when traveling from Altoona, PA to NYC I noticed something fucking amazing.

The ticket to NYC was like $200... But the tickets to long Island were much cheaper. The bus has to pass thru NYC first and there's a layover there. When greyhound has a (might need to be multi hour, I'm not sure) layover, they take the bags off the bus and u sit and wait at the station for ur next bus.

I saved about $130 by just buying the ticket for a further, cheaper destination and getting off where I really wanted to go.

If u want to get off at a stop that isn't a layover where you'd be switching busses, u can't have a bag in the undernear storage. My pack comes apart (osprey far point w detachable day pack) so it's easy to store in pieces on the bus with me.

I guess if u got to the stop u wanted to get off at and had a bag in undernear storage, u could say there's a family emergency or ur sick n shit ur pants or something idk. But maybe don't make a habit of that bc eventually they'd catch on if we're all "shitting ourselves".

Enjoy scamming the fuckhound. God that company sucks.

croc

I like the idea that as a community we can create an epidemic of people shitting themselves.
Honestly, if someone's gonna go that route they might as well commit and actually shit themself.

I took greyhound all the way from Florida to whatever the underground terminal in Manhattan is a few years ago and paid nowhere near $100.00.. Rates were still the same when got on out of Jackson, MS months back..

I stayed on 43rd St(?) YMCA for $40.00 a night.. A 15 minute walk to Central Park... I win

Drunks, hood rats, and ass pain makes me avoid bus rides.

CloudyESTL

Greyhound useuly doesn't care when u get off..unless u pass ur payed for dest.
I'd never been stopped from saying I need my bag n just not board again...they sure don't care if they leave u at a stop smoking a cig
Damn shamehound.
So yeah it's fairly easyer that u made it out to be....

They check your stub on re-board at break-stops. It's got the next layover on it...

croc

Greyhound useuly doesn't care when u get off..unless u pass ur payed for dest.
I'd never been stopped from saying I need my bag n just not board again...they sure don't care if they leave u at a stop smoking a cig
Damn shamehound.
So yeah it's fairly easyer that u made it out to be....
Well the post is for people who may not have considered that a further destination is cheaper

croc

Hopefully megabus keeps expanding bc they're way nicer and cheap af if u plan in advance

Drunk hood rats are why I avoid buses.. I appreciate people who don't lie and stand up for themselves, but there is a point where it's just obnoxious BS.. There are the white-glutton type who do it too..

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
As far as travel goes the only reason I would take greyhound is bc of a time limit on an ergent matter, or if it was cheap enough to make it worth it. Now I have considered trying to "sleep" past my stop and going further for my money. But for some reason I never considered researching a further ticket to get off early... I for one will be looking into this.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads