1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Youtube For Train Hopping

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TrainingHoppers, Nov 13, 2017 at 8:08 AM.

1. TrainingHoppers

TrainingHoppers Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    A Lonely Teen Looking for Somewhere Better
    Address:
    York, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    Just a quick question from someone preparing/ researching to travel full-time.

Via Freight Hopping, is it worth it getting a cheap GoPro and putting in the work at the local library for wherever you end up to post on Youtube or does the work outweigh the benefit of a little extra cash?

I'd be using Youtube as a way to share my experiences & shit, or would I be better off making a blog or posting on a dedicated Facebook page?

Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Drengor

Drengor One of the Regulars

Achievements:
    Traveler
    Address:
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +101 / -0
    If you do a little reading on the forums you'll see Brave Dave just got barred from Canada/USA for 10 years for getting in a sticky situation in a yard. They were able to figure out who he was from his quite popular videos.

Youtube either makes you millions of dollars, or it makes you a few bucks. If it's making you millions it's taking 8 hours a day of your life, and it's your job as a content creator. If you're not investing that kind of time, any time you do invest is making miserable amounts of dollars per hour. You'd be better fed working a labour job, or learning a trade.

I bring a little action cam with me, but I'm not doing it for fame or profit. I'm doing it to make little cool videos to show my friends and family. Maybe I'll eventually post some to YouTube, maybe I'll make enough money to buy a sandwhich, but that won't be why I do it. And honestly I probably won't want to monetize my shit. Why would I want someone have to watch some SportsCheck add every time they wanted to see me having fun? Fuck that.

• Like Like x 4
  3. OP
    OP
    TrainingHoppers

Achievements:
    Address:
    York, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    That's exactly why I'm doing it, not for the money, for the experiences.

I've been scrupulously looking through the making a living subforums to see what people do when they travel, especially as Freight Hoppers. I've found that working at Fast Food places is pretty damn consistent because they are almost always looking for work, and everywhere (save for McDonald's) pays decently and isn't butthurt when you quit after two weeks cause you wanna get moving again. That and freelance poetry/writing or whatever you can do with the time you have on your hands while train hopping and possibly panhandling in the nicer areas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Coywolf

Coywolf Sir Drinks-A-Lot
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Public land activist
    Address:
    Austin, TX, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +811 / -15
    My personal experience is that GoPro and similar cammeras record in Quicktime, and all my other devices are android, so editing is impossible. I just use my phone for videos, then edit, and post, all from my phone, having one device saves alot of time and weight.

As far as YouTube is concerned, im kinda getting worried about having my stuff on there. After Brave Dave, im sure the bulls will be coordinating with each other to search for more online videos, and trying to attach identities to them.

What to do....what to do.....

I guess you could just upload it to StP....I wonder how much storeage space Matt's got on the cloud

• Like Like x 1
  5. angerisagift

angerisagift Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Address:
    Greeley, CO, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +491 / -25
    How's Texas

• Like Like x 1
  6. Coywolf

Coywolf Sir Drinks-A-Lot
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Public land activist
    Address:
    Austin, TX, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +811 / -15
    Its nice, man! Warm, sunny, and lots of trains to watch. Not to mention the abundance of beer and food.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    TrainingHoppers

Achievements:
    Address:
    York, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    So I'm better off just having a blog/facebook and a link to Patreon for people who might actually care?

8. quad8

quad8 Another Easy Rider
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    CEO of Quad 8 Studios
    Address:
    Brunswick, GA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +258 / -9
    Try not to go too big under YouTube's expense. My two reasons:

(1) Trevor Jacob and Brave Dave had run-ins with the law while performing the same goal. A judge told Trevor to cease further management of his library of recent freight train trips, past and present. Brave Dave later discovered that he got held up in Canada as he evaded arrest, that resulted in an active arrest warrant signed by the judge.

(2) YouTube decided to kiss the asses of every single corporate movie and record company by creating the Content ID system and enforcing it toward every uploaded movie they receive from their users. Its common goal is combating infringement. While the user has the option to prove full ownership of his/her own video by disputing, it's a 99% chance for rejection. The Content ID system is totally rigged and even the songs we listen to, underground or otherwise, is scanned for infringement. It is also rigged where they use the term "revenue" as a cheap ass excuse for the alleged song owner to make money off the movies YOU create, regardless. I look at it as an excuse for stalking my property either way, especially when they know the video is mine.

The best thing I would do in your case is to find an alternative like Vimeo and UStream, as their so called copyright rules are not as ass-kissing as YouTube is. Or you can create your own web site and upload as much as your hoster can take it.

• Useful Useful x 2
    #8 quad8, Nov 13, 2017 at 2:27 PM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 4:47 PM