Youtube For Train Hopping

Threads
Current Location
York, PA
Reactions
95% 0% 5%
Just a quick question from someone preparing/ researching to travel full-time.

Via Freight Hopping, is it worth it getting a cheap GoPro and putting in the work at the local library for wherever you end up to post on Youtube or does the work outweigh the benefit of a little extra cash?

I'd be using Youtube as a way to share my experiences & shit, or would I be better off making a blog or posting on a dedicated Facebook page?

Thanks in advance!

Threads
Current Location
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
If you do a little reading on the forums you'll see Brave Dave just got barred from Canada/USA for 10 years for getting in a sticky situation in a yard. They were able to figure out who he was from his quite popular videos.

Youtube either makes you millions of dollars, or it makes you a few bucks. If it's making you millions it's taking 8 hours a day of your life, and it's your job as a content creator. If you're not investing that kind of time, any time you do invest is making miserable amounts of dollars per hour. You'd be better fed working a labour job, or learning a trade.

I bring a little action cam with me, but I'm not doing it for fame or profit. I'm doing it to make little cool videos to show my friends and family. Maybe I'll eventually post some to YouTube, maybe I'll make enough money to buy a sandwhich, but that won't be why I do it. And honestly I probably won't want to monetize my shit. Why would I want someone have to watch some SportsCheck add every time they wanted to see me having fun? Fuck that.

OP
OP
TrainingHoppers
Threads
Current Location
York, PA
Reactions
95% 0% 5%
If you do a little reading on the forums you'll see Brave Dave just got barred from Canada/USA for 10 years for getting in a sticky situation in a yard. They were able to figure out who he was from his quite popular videos.

Youtube either makes you millions of dollars, or it makes you a few bucks. If it's making you millions it's taking 8 hours a day of your life, and it's your job as a content creator. If you're not investing that kind of time, any time you do invest is making miserable amounts of dollars per hour. You'd be better fed working a labour job, or learning a trade.

I bring a little action cam with me, but I'm not doing it for fame or profit. I'm doing it to make little cool videos to show my friends and family. Maybe I'll eventually post some to YouTube, maybe I'll make enough money to buy a sandwhich, but that won't be why I do it. And honestly I probably won't want to monetize my shit. Why would I want someone have to watch some SportsCheck add every time they wanted to see me having fun? Fuck that.
That's exactly why I'm doing it, not for the money, for the experiences.

I've been scrupulously looking through the making a living subforums to see what people do when they travel, especially as Freight Hoppers. I've found that working at Fast Food places is pretty damn consistent because they are almost always looking for work, and everywhere (save for McDonald's) pays decently and isn't butthurt when you quit after two weeks cause you wanna get moving again. That and freelance poetry/writing or whatever you can do with the time you have on your hands while train hopping and possibly panhandling in the nicer areas.

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
My personal experience is that GoPro and similar cammeras record in Quicktime, and all my other devices are android, so editing is impossible. I just use my phone for videos, then edit, and post, all from my phone, having one device saves alot of time and weight.

As far as YouTube is concerned, im kinda getting worried about having my stuff on there. After Brave Dave, im sure the bulls will be coordinating with each other to search for more online videos, and trying to attach identities to them.

What to do....what to do.....

I guess you could just upload it to StP....I wonder how much storeage space Matt's got on the cloud

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
Its nice, man! Warm, sunny, and lots of trains to watch. Not to mention the abundance of beer and food.....

OP
OP
TrainingHoppers
Threads
Current Location
York, PA
Reactions
95% 0% 5%
My personal experience is that GoPro and similar cammeras record in Quicktime, and all my other devices are android, so editing is impossible. I just use my phone for videos, then edit, and post, all from my phone, having one device saves alot of time and weight.

As far as YouTube is concerned, im kinda getting worried about having my stuff on there. After Brave Dave, im sure the bulls will be coordinating with each other to search for more online videos, and trying to attach identities to them.

What to do....what to do.....

I guess you could just upload it to StP....I wonder how much storeage space Matt's got on the cloud
So I'm better off just having a blog/facebook and a link to Patreon for people who might actually care?

quad8

Nowhere bound...
Threads
Current Location
Brunswick, Georgia
Reactions
94% 2% 4%
Try not to go too big under YouTube's expense. My two reasons:

(1) Trevor Jacob and Brave Dave had run-ins with the law while performing the same goal. A judge told Trevor to cease further management of his library of recent freight train trips, past and present. Brave Dave later discovered that he got held up in Canada as he evaded arrest, that resulted in an active arrest warrant signed by the judge.

(2) YouTube decided to kiss the asses of every single corporate movie and record company by creating the Content ID system and enforcing it toward every uploaded movie they receive from their users. Its common goal is combating infringement. While the user has the option to prove full ownership of his/her own video by disputing, it's a 99% chance for rejection. The Content ID system is totally rigged and even the songs we listen to, underground or otherwise, is scanned for infringement. It is also rigged where they use the term "revenue" as a cheap ass excuse for the alleged song owner to make money off the movies YOU create, regardless. I look at it as an excuse for stalking my property either way, especially when they know the video is mine.

The best thing I would do in your case is to find an alternative like Vimeo and UStream, as their so called copyright rules are not as ass-kissing as YouTube is. Or you can create your own web site and upload as much as your hoster can take it.

Last edited:

Unslap

Wayfarer
Threads
Current Location
East coast
Reactions
90% 0% 10%
What in the world is going on here? I'm honestly confused. Are you actually telling me you're hoping to make money off of train hopping videos?

What the fuck is happening to train hopping? Posting lifestyle envy videos of riding trains just encourages more internet idiots to try it. The rails are increasingly flooded with people who don't give a shit if they blow up a yard or get seen at crossings, and have no clue how to avoid being killed or maimed. This makes it harder and harder for actual riders to ride.

If your heart is in it, then I'd encourage you to ride. But fuck man, don't advertise something that many of us hold very very dear.

Am I the only actual train hopper left on STP?

Doesn't this bother anyone else? Matt?

Hobo Mud

Settling down a while.
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Columbia, Tennessee
Reactions
99% 1% 1%
What in the world is going on here? I'm honestly confused. Are you actually telling me you're hoping to make money off of train hopping videos?

What the fuck is happening to train hopping? Posting lifestyle envy videos of riding trains just encourages more internet idiots to try it. The rails are increasingly flooded with people who don't give a shit if they blow up a yard or get seen at crossings, and have no clue how to avoid being killed or maimed. This makes it harder and harder for actual riders to ride.

If your heart is in it, then I'd encourage you to ride. But fuck man, don't advertise something that many of us hold very very dear.

Am I the only actual train hopper left on STP?

Doesn't this bother anyone else? Matt?
I certainly admire your passion and I can even understand where your coming from, however, regardless if I do or don't agree with people recording or making videos pertaining to train hopping I don't have the right to tell anyone that they can't.

In all honesty it is not my place or anyone else's to tell someone when, how or what they should or shouldn't share pertaining to recording there adventures.

I will admit that YouTube videos have probably brought a lot more awareness and heat to the train hopping world however this has never been a secret and never will be.

As far as someone making money off train hopping videos regardless if I think it is right or wrong it is none of my business.

I don't blame anyone trying to feed or put clothes on there back pertaining to and how they might happen to make money. This is just a part of life and it is a dog eat dog world.

There is a smart way of making videos and a stupid way of making videos. There is certain information one shouldn't share with the public pertaining to making train hopping videos and there is information that is very common knowledge to the public.

And just because someone makes videos does not mean that there not a true rider. I know old timers who make videos that were doing this while we probably were still a nut stain in our moma's draws.

Once again I understand your passion and where your coming from and everything I have stated is just my two wheat Penny's worth on the matter. It is what it is and this is the world that we live in today. We can either except it or let it eat our lunch.

Regardless it will not prevent people from riding or making people stop producing videos. Safe travels friend.

Last edited: